PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 Thoughts

Chidi29
11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Super late with this. Was supposed to get back my computer this weekend but it turns out they have to ship it to get it fixed. Have no idea when I'll get it back. My old laptop doesn't come anywhere near being able to support NFL Rewind and my roomates computer barely can. Haven't watched a minute of the Pats game yet, feel totally lost. Plus, schoolwork is an absolute killer right now and it's not going to get much better.

Let's jump into the game notes.

First Half

- I only have a few of the kickoff times. Because I switched to my roomates computer, the framrate was sluggish and I couldn't get accurate times. Anyway, I got: 4.31 (-2), 3.95 (OZ), 4.13 (-2).

- INT by Clark: Timmons comes in with a free shot on Kolb, had to have been miscommunication on the part of the Cardinals' lineman and Kolb. Glad Clark got the pick. Such a gritty, hard-nosed player he deserves the reward.

- Ward put on his butt by Adrian Wilson on the first drive.. At least the second time this year he's been knocked to the ground like that.

- Starting o-line: Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

- Great design on our first TD to Miller. Motion Ward to Miller's side, run the OLB so Heath can get a clean released. Johnson and Ward release to the middle of the field to hold Wilson the safety, run the wheel route to Miller.

- Took McClendon out, had Ziggy over center in an amoeba, 2 DL package.

- Cortez Allen was actually in dime packages early in the game in addition to later in the contest.

- Troy "should" have three INTs on the year. Couple of bad drops.

- McFadden working as a jammer on the Cards' first punt.

- Incomplete back shoulder throw to Wallace was Ben checking out of the run. Just showing an example of him doing it.

- Just to clear up any confusion. The refs incorrectly called a facemask on #69, Jamon Meredith. The penalty wason #68, Chris Kemoeatu. Speaking of him, he needs to get back to anger management classes.

- Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen your starting gunners.

- McClendon's TFL looked to have saved a big play. Wide open cutback lane if he doesn't get that penetration.

- Wallace TD. Motion him to the closed side so Wilson is forced to come up and less talented safety Reshad Jones ends up being the single high safety. Marshall gets caught looking in the backfield and Wallace burns them.

- Ike actually did cover Fitz in the slot a few times.

- Ryan Clark is less of a football player and more of a kamikaze.

- Corbin Bryant with a few snaps at DE late in the 2nd quarter.

- Hood got blown up badly on Alfonso Smith's TD for ARI.

- Can't get mad at Ike Taylor for his penalties. Have to play Fitz close and physical, can't give him space.

- Something weird happened as we tried to spike the ball with 17 seconds left in the first half. It seems like as Ben is getting everyone up to the line and spike it, Kemoeatu is jawing with a Cardinals defender. We see Ben wave over to somewhere off to hise left and then Pouncey runs over to that spot too. Can't see anything because of the camera angle but we see Pouncey, Kemoeatu, and a Cardinalds player finally come into screen and get lined up. Cost us valuable seconds.

- Did not like the 3rd and 1 draw at the end of the half. Let's try to take a shot at the end zone.

Second Half

- I know Woodley is much bigger/stronger than Kolb but you still have to love him wrestling Kolb down with one hand on his jersey on his second sack.

- Disappointing Howling scored on a play where we dropped 8 into coverage. Troy fell, Gay had to get around a WR, and Clark had to take too sharp of an angle to avoid a Cardinals' player.

- Beautiful catch by Brown on 3rd and 5 late in the 3rd. Sharp cut and stops the ball with one hand, making the catch and keeping his feet inbounds. Remember he kept that drive alive that led to a TD.

- Woodley gets his sack/safety/grounding on a play that seems to go to the flats and designed to get the ball out quickly. Troy does a nice job undercutting the flat route and not giving Kolb an option. All comes from film study.

- It seems like Ben checks out of the draw play a lot. Did it again early in the 4th on a throw to Wallace down the right sideline where he got smacked by Adrian Wilson. Did it earlier against Indy, too.

- Chris Carter was a monster on kick coverage. Had at least two tackles.

- Ran some Full House with one FB in a three point and one in a two point.

- Kinda figured Early Doucet would be the intended target on his TD after being motioned into the backfield. Wasn't going to stay in and block.

- Wes Saunders still has trouble sticking on his blocks.

Sacks

- 1st and 10, 8:19 left in 3rd. 13 personel. PA, attempt to pull LG Kemoeatu on SOLB Haggans blitz. Never gets much contact on him. Still not a huge fan of pulling your guard to counter OLB/CB blitzes.

- 1st and 10, 13:26 left in 4th. In the grasp call on Ben. PA flat to Cotchery, CB doesn't bite on the run fake, Cotchery can't get open. Truly a coverage sack.

Sack Counter (Game)

Chris Kemoeatu: 1
Coverage Sack: 1

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 5
Max Starks: 2
Good defensive scheme/coverage: 2
Chris Kemoeatu: 2
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Ramon Foster: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1