PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Lake is Steelers' first-half MVP

LLT
11-04-2011, 04:41 AM
Kovacevic: Lake is Steelers' first-half MVP
By Dejan Kovacevic
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 4, 2011

What once was an abomination now seems like an aberration.

It's hard to quantify, really, how much the Steelers have improved from that opening 35-7 loss in Baltimore to this rematch Sunday: They're contenders at 6-2, confident in all phases, deeper than anyone knew and so strategically sharp that the noted New England scholars Bill Belichick and Tom Brady just left town with swelling, itching brains.

It's a good team, one that's enjoyed a wealth of quality individual performances.

And yet, in choosing a first-half MVP, I'll go way off the board, even off the 53-man roster, and take defensive backs coach Carnell Lake.

Most of us think of Lake as the cerebral four-time Pro Bowl safety for the Steelers from 1989-98. But in his new life as a rookie NFL coach, he has dramatically transformed what was supposed to be the team's No. 1 weakness into the NFL's No. 1 pass defense, with an average of 171.6 yards allowed per game.

Read more: Kovacevic: Lake is Steelers' first-half MVP - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_765484.html#ixzz1cjCNQcRe

Count Steeler
11-04-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah, but we haven't beaten anyone worth a lick. :chuckle:

HometownGal
11-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Coach Lake has done an outstanding job with the secondary in such a short period of time - can't wait to see what's yet to come! :tt02:

43Hitman
11-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Our Corner have played outstanding thus far. Its so comforting to not sweat another team trying to spread us out anymore. Bring on Green Bay.

polamalubeast
11-04-2011, 07:16 AM
future DC in Arizona?

tube517
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
future DC in Arizona?

NO! Damn Whisenhunt. :chuckle:

Steeldude
11-04-2011, 12:18 PM
the loss of horton does wonders also. he's the cardinals problem now...lol

steelreserve
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
This season has been a real eye-opener for just how much difference a good coach can make. The whole difference in our pass defense seems to be that a handful of guys who were previously pretty marginal players - Gay, Lewis and Mundy in particular - have suddenly and unexpectedly become dependable. Not superstars, mind you, just dependable, but that's all we need. And it sure beats the hell out of inconsistent and easy to fool. I give Lake a ton of the credit for that transformation.

It's kind of a microcosm of the effect that Harbaugh has had in SF. They've got some players there who are talented in their own right, but the real key is that the average players have become pretty good, and the below-average players won't blow the game for you anymore (case in point: Alex Smith).

Anyway ... before this year, my thoughts were kind of like, "All these players are pros; they know how to do their job already, so most coaches only make a little difference unless they're a super genius or totally incompetent." Guess that's pretty far from the truth.

GodfatherofSoul
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
As well as DBs have played, I'd say coaching MVP goes to Sean Kugler (http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches/sean-kugler/aeb7f216-76be-4c5a-b647-b40317435f8c).

The Duke
11-04-2011, 02:22 PM
the loss of horton does wonders also. he's the cardinals problem now...lol

I won't really attribute all the problems to him, but I sure am glad Lake is here instead of him right now

Lucky for him he works with Tomlin. They both began as defensive backs coordinators, and both revamped their defenses. If he continues he just might become an nfl coach someday

Hindes204
11-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Absolutely amazing what Lake has accomplished thus far. Last year, our secondary was torched on numerous occasions. This year, with the same group of guys, they seem to finally have their shit together.

Edman
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
When Lake played, he was easily the most versatile DB's of his day. He could play Safety and Corner. Not saying that any of the guys on our roster are Lake-type players, but he can definitely teach the guys what he knows. So far, they're really buying into his coaching.

The Steelers D this year is certainly different from years' past. Turnovers have been minimal, but they're still getting the job done, and Quarterbacks aren't tearing the secondary a new one every game. The secondary was torn to shreds by good QB's last year, bat people forget is that on occasion last year the Steelers Secondary would make any Joe Quarterback look decent.

steelreserve
11-04-2011, 04:07 PM
As well as DBs have played, I'd say coaching MVP goes to Sean Kugler (http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches/sean-kugler/aeb7f216-76be-4c5a-b647-b40317435f8c).

I wouldn't go that far. The OL was a real piece of shit this year until Starks came back, weird as that sounds to say. But once we weren't getting absolutely brutalized at LT, that kind of stabilized the entire line. So at least half of my credit there goes to Starks.

Scott really was that awful at LT, I guess. Though at least he's been ok at RT.