PDA

View Full Version : Steelers FS Ryan Clark Fined $15K For Late Hit In Patriots Game‎

polamalubeast
11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/11/steelers-fs-ryan-clark-fined-15k-for-late-hit-in-patriots-game/

Count Steeler
11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Surprise? Yeah that it wasn't 25,000.

suitanim
11-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Wow. Now they are fining us for late hits that weren't late hits. Even Simms was saying that it wasn't a late hit or out-of-bounds. I could see if it was Brady, but a TE?

I hate Goodell.

Count Steeler
11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow. Now they are fining us for late hits that weren't late hits. Even Simms was saying that it wasn't a late hit or out-of-bounds. I could see if it was Brady, but a TE?

I hate Goodell.

If the refs miss it, Goodell fixes it. If the refs call it, Goodell backs them. Simms is an idiot and even Goodell knows it. Do not question Goodell.

O'Malley
11-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Surprised? I'm surprised the Steelers didn't get fined for beating the Patriots***..

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
The Clark hit was late, but hardly a foul that required a fine. Patrick Chung trying to twist Antonio Brown's helmet off with a facemask was much more dangerous.

Actually, its surprising that Troy didnt get fined for tackling Welker.

86WARD
11-03-2011, 05:56 PM

I hate Goodell.

After the replay Simms said it was late and it was and Clark led with the helmet hence the fine. Pretty much knew a fine was coming after the replay.

86WARD
11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
The Clark hit was late, but hardly a foul that required a fine. Patrick Chung trying to twist Antonio Brown's helmet off with a facemask was much more dangerous.

Actually, its surprising that Troy didnt get fined for tackling Welker.

True about Chungs face mask.

O'Malley
11-03-2011, 06:13 PM
After the replay Simms said it was late and it was and Clark led with the helmet hence the fine. Pretty much knew a fine was coming after the replay.

This is how Goodell hands out fines.. If the announcer says it's a fine it's a fine...

Chidi29
11-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Clark himself said he should've been fined. If he won't complain, I certainly won't either.

Craic
11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Yep.

The rules are clear and if they are broken, then there is a penalty. He hit a receiver in the head with his helmet, it is a penalty, and a fine.
And as Chidi says... if Clark is fine with it...

Here's a new twist to an old story: Another Steelers player was fined this week, and not only did he agree with the fine, he believes the NFL is doing the right thing.That player also happens to be safety Ryan Clark, who in the past has been an outspoken critic of fines levied on the Steelers by the NFL. Clark, the team's representative to the NFL Players Association, was fined $15,000 for a hit out of bounds on New England tight end Rob Gronkowski in the third quarter Sunday at Heinz Field."It's part of the rules, though, man," Clark said today. "If you get a personal foul, they've been fining for that. I have to be smarter in that sense and not put myself in that position."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11307/1187279-100.stm#ixzz1cgqGRVrE

suitanim
11-04-2011, 05:19 AM
Yes, he led with his helmet.

But I don't see anywhere that that's what the fine is for. The headline says "late hit". It wasn't late, IMO, although he had JUST stepped out of bounds. If the fine is for helmet-to-helmet I'm fine with that (rum pum pum), but that's not how it reads...

Butch
11-04-2011, 05:27 AM
My question in all this is did chung get fined???

If he did then yeah I'm fine with it...if he did not then Hell No I aint fine with it.

See for me it's not about fines for things we do wrong it's the lack of fines for players on other teams who violate rules and can cause as much if not more damage to our players.

HometownGal
11-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Clark himself said he should've been fined. If he won't complain, I certainly won't either.

I agree. It was helmet to helmet whether intentional or not and deserving of the fine imho.

steelreserve
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
I was under the distinct impression that a helmet-to-helmet hit is only illegal on a "defenseless receiver" in the act of trying to make a catch. And not a penalty when it's on a ballcarrier trying to run forward, which is what that play involved. Not only should it not have been a fine, it shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

Spare me the late hit out of bounds explanation, too. I am so sick of "late hits" on plays where the runner is six inches over the line and still running full speed ahead trying to stay in bounds. It's complete bullshit and calling fouls in those situations does nothing to improve safety or discourage certain behavior or whatever; it just adds more random unfairness to the game for no reason. Just like most of the new rules and selective enforcement in the NFL that Goodell wants. If it looks too violent, it's a penalty and a fine. Great way to ruin the game. But of course, we all knew that.

fansince'76
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Forgot about that one - good point. That sure as hell should've been fined, since every 15-yarder seems to draw a fine anymore.