PDA

View Full Version : Ben unhappy with Tomlin comment?

zulater
11-03-2011, 05:56 AM
QUESTIONING THE COACH

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/news-notes-harrison-s-future-blurry/article_fcaa4e37-8d3b-59e3-878e-5c9107c697b9.html

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wasn't too happy when told of a remark coach Mike Tomlin made Tuesday at his weekly press conference.
When asked if the Steelers would throw 50 times against the Ravens as they did against the Patriots, Tomlin said no because "you're going to get sacked, fumbled and intercepted."
When the Ravens beat the Steelers 35-7 on opening day, they sacked Roethlisberger four times while forcing fumbles on two of the sacks, and intercepting him three times.
"That's not a lot of confidence from your head coach, I guess," Roethlisberger said of Tomlin's comment.
During the Steelers' four-game winning streak, Roethlisberger has been doing a better job of taking care of the football with no lost fumbles and only two interceptions during that span.

I think this is noteworthy, but not disconcerting. Who knows with Tomlin, he might just be trying to send the hounds ( Ravens) down the wrong path? :chuckle:

HometownGal
11-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Ben has to know by now that Tomlin has a ton of confidence in him but maybe Coach T should have used a better choice of words. :noidea:

BnG_Hevn
11-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Or maybe Ben knows where Tomlin is coming from and puts up a show for the public.

X-Terminator
11-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm going to guess Tomlin was trying to light a fire under Ben's ass and get him motivated to prove him wrong. That's the only reason I can come up with for him to say something like that.

Edman
11-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Then prove him wrong, Ben. Tear the Ratbirds a new one.

Texasteel
11-03-2011, 07:55 AM
If Ben is throwing the ball and getting good results, they sure as hell are not going to put the breaks on. I wouldn't take what is said in a press conference as gospel. I think Ben knows that too.

86WARD
11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Meh. Tomlin's statement is a general statement and quite true.

suitanim
11-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Huh?

This is obvious misinformation.

The plan was to come out and throw the ball a zillion times. You don't exactly want to say in a presser "Our plan is to come out and throw the ball a zillion times", so you play a little game of feeding out some bad intel...it's probably even a little juicier if you hint that there is a rift in the relationship between the coach and the QB in the process.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Sounds like the truth based on the first game, does it not?

I think the Steelers will try and run a balanced attack. Why turn into the Patriots offense again, when the Ravens seem to matchup with the Pats better than they do us. Tomlin is just hinting to the guys that they need to keep the QB upright better.

XxKnightxX
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I dont have a problem with the statement, Ben gotta look at himself in the mirror once in a while .

suitanim
11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Anyway, I fully expect us to come out passing now. I did NOT before this comment, but now I do. It's obviously the strength of our offense, and the only way to fully utilize the great advantage our WR's have over their (and every other teams) CB's is to throw the ball more.

steel9guy
11-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Ben is always great against the ratbirds with the exception of 06' and week 1 of 11' however Tomlin is exactly right with what he said. I see this as 100% motivation tactic.

Pete The Greek
11-03-2011, 10:27 AM
During the Steelers' four-game winning streak, Roethlisberger has been doing a better job of taking care of the football with no lost fumbles and only two interceptions during that span.

And thats because of Max Starks protecting his blind side. Most, if not all, Ben's fumbles were from Scott failing to protect Ben's blind side early on in the season.

Chidi29
11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Tomlin was saying stuff like that all press confernence. About how the Bengals and Ravens were far ahead of us and how we had so much work to do to catch up.

He's said things about Antonio Brown not being a real threat in the return game because he "hadn't taken one back yet".

It's classic Tomlin. Embrace the underdog role and get guys fired up.

Because as cliche as it sounds, we play a whole lot better when the odds are stacked against us.

tube517
11-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Huh?

This is obvious misinformation.

The plan was to come out and throw the ball a zillion times. You don't exactly want to say in a presser "Our plan is to come out and throw the ball a zillion times", so you play a little game of feeding out some bad intel...it's probably even a little juicier if you hint that there is a rift in the relationship between the coach and the QB in the process.

Exactly. Tomlin was just throwing the reporter a line. Why would he tell the reporter the game plan??

suitanim
11-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Exactly. Tomlin was just throwing the reporter a line. Why would he tell the reporter the game plan??

Besides (since the warm afterglow of even the most virulent Arians haters giving him a temporary pass has expired), we all already know that Arians is an idiot who only calls grab-bag predictable plays (not MY self-contradiction, it's solely the "intellectual" property of the Arians bashers) that don't work. And the Rats know all this better than us, so we will certainly lose by 42 points Sunday night.

tube517
11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Tomlin was saying stuff like that all press confernence. About how the Bengals and Ravens were far ahead of us and how we had so much work to do to catch up.

He's said things about Antonio Brown not being a real threat in the return game because he "hadn't taken one back yet".

It's classic Tomlin. Embrace the underdog role and get guys fired up.

Because as cliche as it sounds, we play a whole lot better when the odds are stacked against us.

Not true, Antonio Brown is better than Mike Wallace. :chuckle: :sarcasm:

Count Steeler
11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I would not interpret that statement as a slight against Ben. It is against the O Line, wanting them to step up and keep Ben clean and free on Sunday night. Just imagine what Ben will do against the Rats secondary if he has time to throw.

GoSlash27
11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Meh. Tomlin's statement is a general statement and quite true.

^ What he said.
Tomlin wasn't talking about Ben, he was talking about the Ravens. If you become one-dimensional against them, they will crucify you. The films bear that out.
Also, It would be foolish to hand the Ravens 60 minutes of film and then turn around and say that that's our game plan. So even if Tomlin *was* planning on running 50 passes against Baltimore, he's not gonna stand up there and say it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Tomlin didnt say anything wrong. I feel like he always talks in a fashion that is appropriate and respectful to his team yet leaves his own players hungry. he said that out of respect for the Ravens defense. And he didnt sugarcoat it either. All of that is true

shutdown
11-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Smart words by Tomlin regardless.

Don't let Ben get a big head. Whenever Ben starts getting praised what not, he consistently always goes out and lays a turd.

It's when he's doubted, or the underdog, he puts on his best performances.

All the praise he's gotten this week has me worried. It's good to see Tomlin pulling the reigns on all the hype.

stillers4me
11-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Tomlin's playing the "you guys suck" card this season.