PDA

View Full Version : After further review … (Steelers vs. Patriots)

stillers4me
11-02-2011, 06:01 AM
We all are quick to give credit to Dick LeBeau and the Steelers’ defense on what he was able to do to bring the great Tom Brady to his knees, and deservedly so.

To totally flip the script and go almost exclusively press man with a deep safety to protect the deep ball was absolute genius by LeBeau.

It forced Brady to do a pre-snap read and stick with it rather than go through his progression to find the open receiver, which we all knew Brady is deadly doing.

Looking back on it now, it was brilliance because the Patriots really don’t have much talent on offense other than Brady and a couple of tight ends.

Even though LeBeau’s plan was flawless, Bruce Arians’ game plan was even better.....................

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/11/02/after-further-review-steelers-vs-patriots/

GBMelBlount
11-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Three thoughts

1. Was LeBeau's switch to man to man really brilliance or simply common sense?

Either way the defense looked fantastic despite missing several key players.

2. Is anyone else not surprised by the passing game taking off?

We have 3 very explosive receivers in Wallace, Sanders and Brown....and it appears Ben is really getting in synch with these young guys.

3. Ike Taylor - He has held opposing receivers to less than 200 yards through 8 games?

That's like 20 yards a game...

Dino 6 Rings
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Didn't realize that Arian's Brilliant Plan included kicking field goals in the Red Zone...how fcking Brilliant...

sigh...Unless we can Score TDs in the Red Zone, we are not Elite.

fansince'76
11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
:rolleyes:

fansince'76
11-02-2011, 01:15 PM
If Ike Taylor doesn’t make the Pro Bowl this year then there is something really wrong.

He won't, and there is: it's called fan voting. Revis will be named to it almost by default and since Asomugha plays in the NFC now, the other corner will be whomever makes Disney Channel II's highlights the most, and that won't be Ike.

O'Malley
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Didn't realize that Arian's Brilliant Plan included kicking field goals in the Red Zone...how fcking Brilliant...

Unless we score more points then our opponent..

steelreserve
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
We all are quick to give credit to Dick LeBeau and the Steelers’ defense on what he was able to do to bring the great Tom Brady to his knees

I don't think it takes a good defense to bring Brady to his knees ...

:0c=============3

smokin3000gt
11-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't think it takes a good defense to bring Brady to his knees ...

:0c=============3

We all know there is something wrong with your statement.

he likes the big dick <;P ~C=======( ) )

zulater
11-02-2011, 06:49 PM

I don't care if we do nothing but kick field goals, just so long as we finish with a point more than our opponent of that day. 6-2 half way through the season makes us as elite as anyone but the Packers for the moment. :coffee:

steelreserve
11-02-2011, 11:49 PM
We all know there is something wrong with your statement.

he likes the big dick <;P ~C=======( ) )

You know, I saw the quoted part from my original message and thought, "wow, I never thought of it until I saw it just now, but being in italics really improves the old ASCII dick and balls."

So I thought it was already at max effectiveness with the italics, but then I saw the even better version you put below, and was just completely floored. I can't imagine what YOUR version is going to look like in italics once I hit "Post reply," but I am looking forward to it. What surprises wait in store ...

is there something wrong with me for this?

suitanim
11-03-2011, 05:17 AM
I didn't see any change in philosophy in Arians playcalling inside the red zone from that outside of it. He stayed aggressive. I did see maybe a little tightening up by the Pats, and a little bit of sloppy execution by the Steelers. I'm just not sure what this poor guy is going to have to do to get the Steelers Nation off his back????

Count Steeler
11-03-2011, 05:18 AM
I didn't see any change in philosophy in Arians playcalling inside the red zone from that outside of it. He stayed aggressive. I did see maybe a little tightening up by the Pats, and a little bit of sloppy execution by the Steelers. I'm just not sure what this poor guy is going to have to do to get the Steelers Nation off his back????

Retire. He will never be appreciated as he should be.

zulater
11-03-2011, 05:36 AM
While obviously it would be nice to score every time you get into the red zone, the Steelers played the game as it came and handled all of their possessions extremely well in my opinion. In the first half we scored two touchdowns and one field goal, and it was those 17 points that we built upon so that we held a two score lead right up until the final minutes of the game.

I mean seriously look at the game as it was played and tell me which of those field goals didn't matter? I think to a person, almost every Steelers fan was worried that the Patriots would take the second half kickoff and cut into the Steelers 17-10 lead. Instead the Steelers defense held them to a 3 and out, then our offense took possession chewed up over half the 3rd quarter and scored a field goal. 20-10 good guys. Were we supposed to force the issue and forego the field goal that made it 23-10? You can't see the significance of a 13 point lead? The best thing the offense did Sunday was keep the ball out of Brady's hands. Cashing in those possessions in points, any points further drove the stake into the collective will of the Patriots. The Patriots might have made the scoreboard closer than we would have liked, but they were never a serious threat to score two touchdowns they way the Steelers were playing defense, and even if they had, the Steelers offense would have had an answer.

Basically what I'm saying ( rather poorly I suppose) is that this was situational football 101. The Steelers controlled the game perfectly. That anyone would bitch about the quality of this win is baffling to me?

X-Terminator
11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Because some people can't see past their hatred of Arians to see the big picture, as you have done. It's really that simple.

86WARD
11-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Bottom line is they can't consistently beat that caliber team leaving points on the field in the Redzone.

JayC
11-03-2011, 08:41 AM
whens pro bowl voting go up? everyone better vote for ike this year

fansince'76
11-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Bottom line is they can't consistently beat that caliber team leaving points on the field in the Redzone.

Well, apparently we didn't have a prayer in this game either, from what I kept hearing.

polamalubeast
11-03-2011, 09:00 AM
whens pro bowl voting go up? everyone better vote for ike this year

for Roethlisberger and Wallace too!

zulater
11-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Really? First off who else is "that caliber" that we could possibly see before the Super Bowl? Second just because the Steelers didn't score more points doesn't mean they couldn't have. If you're behind or your opponent is putting more points on the board you play with a different urgency. You take the road as it comes, the Steelers played this one as they needed to. Period.

Count Steeler
11-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Cmon guys, we are coming off one of the best wins for this franchise. I'll take this team effort every week. Some weeks we will get touchdowns, some weeks we will get field goals. As long as we win, score and margin of victory is irrelevant.

SMR
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

I have to agree with ya on this. BA did very well. Kudos to BA's game plan.

SMR
11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
for Roethlisberger and Wallace too!

And Woodley and Polamalu...

:)