PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' new compensation plan

Galax Steeler
11-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Tomlin suggests defense could look different than usual Sunday when Baltimore comes to town
Wednesday, November 02, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

No LaMarr Woodley. No James Farrior. No James Harrison.

Problem.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, whose bag is full of tricks and treats, may have to pull many of them out this week. The meeting room for Steelers linebackers could move to a Red Cross tent. Such is the state of their injuries that coach Mike Tomlin talked Tuesday about the possibility of playing all kinds of different defenses Sunday to compensate.

It's not a good time to be losing your best linebackers when the Baltimore Ravens come to Heinz Field for a rematch and perhaps the showdown that ultimately will determine the AFC North Division champion.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11306/1186780-66.stm#ixzz1cXO5iaQj

suitanim
11-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Well, if we beat them, it will certainly limit the excuses the Ratfilths and their whiny coach can make...

Count Steeler
11-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Stupid schedule this year. How can we be finished with the Ravens by week 9 and not even have played the Bengals or the Browns? Did they borrow the software from the NHL or something?

Austin87
11-02-2011, 08:53 AM
This is going to be interesting, can't wait to see what LeBeau comes up with.

Chidi29
11-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Wonder if Baltimore will play a lot of traditional, 2 WR sets to force us to stay in our base instead of opening things up and letting us use subpackages.

SteelerEmpire
11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
What we did in the Pats game on defense will work TWICE as better against the Ravens unstable offense. Flacco is no Brady... we can get in his head. A similar offensive plan (as against the Pats) will work on them too.

BnG_Hevn
11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Can the backups playing make the defense any worse than the Cardinal's defense?

I think our defense will be fine, it's the offense that needs to step it up and not turn the ball over 7 times.

polamalubeast
11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
COVER TWO

Flacco is very bad against the cover 2.His record against the Bengals is a proof.

ALLD
11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
It is the obverse of 1976 all over again with the problem being the defense this time. The O is going to have to light it up.

oneforthetoe
11-02-2011, 05:03 PM
At least, second-year backup Jason , who has missed the past four games with a thigh injury, will practice and might return to uniform Sunday. If so, that would give the Steelers six linebackers, assuming Harrison is unable to play.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11306/1186780-66.stm#ixzz1caVgzzpF

I wish Worilds was a little further along in his development so Timmons could go back to the middle.

86WARD
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Worilds...not good. Has shown little to nothing out there do far.

Psycho Ward 86
11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Wonder if Baltimore will play a lot of traditional, 2 WR sets to force us to stay in our base instead of opening things up and letting us use subpackages.

thats what im worried about

Psycho Ward 86
11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
What we did in the Pats game on defense will work TWICE as better against the Ravens unstable offense. Flacco is no Brady... we can get in his head. A similar offensive plan (as against the Pats) will work on them too.

and Ellis is no Ray Rice...this is a completely different team

Galax Steeler
11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Worilds...not good. Has shown little to nothing out there do far.

Not had a chance to show much but what time he has played he showed he has a motor and can get after the quarterback.

st33lersguy
11-02-2011, 08:00 PM
This is not good. Ray Rice is a big concern and Chris Carter is a huge question mark

oneforthetoe
11-02-2011, 08:54 PM
They have several options available:

Versatile end Brett Keisel could move to linebacker with rookie Cameron Heyward taking his spot at end.

I like this idea in obvious passing situations. Keisel doesn't have a lot of moves as a pass rusher but he is pretty good at collapsing the pocket. Maybe with Heyward and Ziggy upfront we can get a push going. We don't need sacks necessarily. We just need enough pressure to make Flacco wet his panties.

They could turn to a six-man secondary, which they used often against New England.

That works for me. It helps cover for Keisel not being a cover guy.. And it would allow us to play Troy up at the line. Another Flacco wet panties instigator.

They could form a four-man line of tackles Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke/Steve McClendon and ends Keisel and Ziggy Hood and play a 4-3 defense with Foote at inside linebacker and Timmons and somebody on the outside.

Not that big of a fan of that idea, other than as a small sub-package designed to moisten Flacco's ....... While I think Larry Foote has done a good job filling in, I don't think he has the range to be a middle backer in a 4-3. Interestingly, I think Timmons does have the required range. Unfortunately, he is a little busy busy right now.

"Or 4-2," Tomlin suggested. "Or one of the many variations we have. We are very multiple defensively, usually in response to offensive packages, but, sometimes, your personnel may dictate otherwise.

You know the routine by now ..... panties, wet, ect. ect. ect.

YoungMoneyFam
11-02-2011, 09:10 PM
A 4-2 would be interesting..i liked how a majority of our DB's played last week so I wouldnt mind seeing a look like that

Chidi29
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
The good thing is that there is a ton of versatility in this front seven. We're not locked into anything. Hood can lay DE, DT, and the zero tech in sub packages. McClendon can play the nose and maybe end in a pinch. Heyward can do the same as Hood. We can put Chris Carter with his had down, what he's really most comfortable with, in third and log.

Timmons can play inside or out. Sylvester was an OLB at Utah.

Lots of options help in an obviously less than ideal situation.

suitanim
11-03-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't like 6 DB's. The plan should be to stop Rice and make unibrow beat us.

Psycho Ward 86
11-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't like 6 DB's. The plan should be to stop Rice and make unibrow beat us.

yeah most definitely. Rice will kill us if we have 6 DB's