PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger or Rivers?!

polamalubeast
10-31-2011, 11:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26_XD-uS3k

fansince'76
10-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah, Rivers is WAAAAAY better, all right. :rolleyes:

O'Malley
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Never thought of him as elite.. Every year he proves he's not..

tihmtahm
10-31-2011, 11:35 PM
The only thing they have in common is their draft year.

Count Steeler
11-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Rivers should not even be compared to Eli Manning. At least Eli can win some important games. Rivers has not proven that he can win any big games. I think the divide between Roethlisberger and Rivers is so wide that they should not be compared in the same sentence.
Screw the media hyperbole, who wins games.

stillers4me
11-01-2011, 06:01 AM
This again????

HometownGal
11-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Filet mignon or ground beef?

Shoes
11-01-2011, 07:24 AM
You mean Romo or Rivers...... :chuckle:

Godfather
11-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Rivers is obviously better, Ben sucks and just rides the defense to victory.

tube517
11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Rivers is obviously better, Ben sucks and just rides the defense to victory.

Rivers is top 3 elite. Don't put Ben in that category because he just manages games by throwing for 5 TD's or 50 passes in a game, hardly elite numbers. :heh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2011, 09:08 AM
I remember in their draft year that the majority of Steeler fans on the message board wanted Rivers. NC State was a known commodity and Cowher's alma mater. I thought he would be a bust with that wonky throwing motion and wanted Ben instead. Guess I was wrong about the bust part, but still happy we didnt take him.

fansince'76
11-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Rivers is top 3 elite.

And there are at LEAST 15 QBs in the league who are top 3. Ben ain't one of 'em, though. :chuckle:

siss
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
I will take my two winning champion QB over what's his face!

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Rivers is so over-rated, just like the Chargers. He puts up some big passing numbers because they throw the ball a lot. Numbers don't mean a damn thing though when you can't win the game. I can't stand watching him with that shot put throwing motion of his.

steelerdiva
11-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I will take my two winning champion QB over what's his face!

I will take my 2-time SB winning-makes-me-go-cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs-when-he-holds-onto-the-ball-too-long-but-makes-the-plays-when-he-has-to QB over

high-numbers-but-non-playmaking, way-overrated, legend-in-his-own-mind Philip Rivers ANY day of the week and twice on Sunday.

O'Malley
11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Rivers is so over-rated, just like the Chargers. He puts up some big passing numbers because they throw the ball a lot. Numbers don't mean a damn thing though when you can't win the game. I can't stand watching him with that shot put throwing motion of his.

Also hard to throw the ball when you can't take the snap..

X-Terminator
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Rivers is top 3 elite. Don't put Ben in that category because he just manages games by throwing for 5 TD's or 50 passes in a game, hardly elite numbers. :heh:

Come on, Rivers threw for 369 yards. Ben could only manage a measly 365 yards a week after putting up 361 yards, and is on pace to throw for 4,604 yards. Small potatoes compared to the great Phyllis Rivers! :heh:

zulater
11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Rivers is a very good qb. If the 2004 draft would have gone more to script Cowher would have drafted him without hesitation. How much history would have changed afterwards, who knows? I certainly don't think Rivers is Ben's equal. But he's a damn good nonetheless. He's just in a bit of as slump. It happens to the best of them.

steelerdude15
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
This argument is old. We're going to argue Ben is better and Chargers fans are going to argue Philip is better. No point in continuing to bring this up.

siss
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
This argument is old. We're going to argue Ben is better and Chargers fans are going to argue Philip is better. No point in continuing to bring this up.
I think the Chargers fans have a case of QB envy as well!

steeldevil
11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Rivers is a very good qb. If the 2004 draft would have gone more to script Cowher would have drafted him without hesitation. How much history would have changed afterwards, who knows? I certainly don't think Rivers is Ben's equal. But he's a damn good nonetheless. He's just in a bit of as slump. It happens to the best of them.

Ah yes the Wolfpack connection. If we would have landed Rivers there would be even more Steelers fans in North Carolina than there already are. Or bandwagoners at least. Glad it didn't happen though, we would definitely still have 4 SB wins....

86WARD
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Do we really need another Rivers/Ben thread. One was bad enough, but another one wasting bandwidth?!?

Do it for the environment...blow it up!

ALLD
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I have seen worst, but you generally do not make it to the playoffs when you are jinxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yh1DyvTuDA

SMR
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Is it wet or is it dry?

ALLD
11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Phillip Rivers = Tony Romo = Carson Palmer = Never did anything.

polamalubeast
11-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Phillip Rivers = Tony Romo = Carson Palmer = Never did anything.

Rivers is much better than Romo and especially Palmer.

pepsyman1
11-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Rivers is just like his head coach Norv Turner...Overrated Norv hasn't done jack shit as a head coach and neither has his QB. I was listening to the game in my car last night and almost crashed when they fumbled it because I was laughing so hard. Priceless. Lol

zulater
11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
. It's a shame Ben Roethlisberger has garnered a well-earned reputation for being such an oaf as a person, because it makes it harder for people to appreciate how good he is.

And I believe he's one of the most fascinating athletes the quarterback position has ever seen.

This is going to sound like hyperbole, but I assure you it's not: Roethlisberger's fourth-quarter touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on Sunday was one of the five best throws I've seen in 20-plus years of watching the NFL. It really was that good. To throw a ball that accurately to a moving target when you're sprinting as fast as you can go to your right is just incredible. If you consider the gravity of the moment, the degree of difficulty is off the charts. I don't believe he was trying to hit Antonio Brown on that play, as I see some people are suggesting. I think Wallace was his target the entire time. He's just that good throwing the ball when he gets outside of the pocket. He might be the most versatile quarterback in the game.

You know who else shares that opinion? John Harbaugh. He was still shaking his head about that throw to Wallace after the game. Some quarterbacks, if you get to them with pressure, they're going to go down. It's just physics. Tom Brady can't stay on his feet if Terrell Suggs crashes into him. But if you hit Roethlisberger, the play is often just beginning. It's like trying to bring down a Kodiak bear who can accurately throw a deep square in.

There has been a lot of discussion this year about how valuable Peyton Manning obviously is, considering how dreadful the Colts have looked without him. But I think Roethlisberger covers up almost as many flaws for the Steelers. I really do. The Steelers’ running game is awful. Their offensive line is marginal. Their tight ends can't run away from anyone. Pittsburgh might not be winless without him, but they'd be in a ton of trouble. He covers up a ton of flaws with his toughness and mobility.

I understand why Ravens fans loathe him so much. Professionally, you have to hate your rival. And personally, he hasn't always conducted himself honorably, to put it mildly. But I hope, underneath that hatred, you appreciate how good he is, and why it's such a big deal to beat him in his own backyard.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ravens-steelers-5-things-pg,0,6266584.photogallery

86WARD
11-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Do we really need another Rivers/Ben thread. One was bad enough, but another one wasting bandwidth?!?

Do it for the environment...blow it up!

Seriously guys...why do you feel the need to compare the two? It's pointless and you know it. Start a Ben Roethlisberger/Alex Smith thread. At least it would be fresh...same difference...

BigNastyDefense
11-11-2011, 01:20 PM

With the 2004 first rounder, Dan Rooney made the choice to take Ben Roethlisberger. It wasn't Cowher or Colbert that made the choice. And Dan Rooney has even said that Cowher wanted to take an offensive lineman, it's never been said that Cowher wanted Rivers. Remember, Cowher had always been a coach who wanted a power run game with a QB who would just manage the game, not screw up...I doubt he wanted a rookie QB even if he came from his NC State, he knew to have that power run game he needed an offensive lineman.

steel striker
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
My two problems with Rivers are have not won a big game and, cries too much. I still think Ben is the best qb when he has to move around because, he usally makes big plays. Ben also has proved alot of the so called experts wrong like Steve Young & Jaws that he can't make throws from the pocket. I would not trade Ben for any other qb in the league. This could be Ben's best season ever and, let's hope that it is.

polamalubeast
11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Seriously guys...why do you feel the need to compare the two? It's pointless and you know it. Start a Ben Roethlisberger/Alex Smith thread. At least it would be fresh...same difference...

c'mon!..Alex Smith?????....seriously

It has no comparison between Rivers and Smith!...Rivers is an elite QB, but this year has a very bad year, but are things that can happen.

And it is normal that had comparison between Rivers and Roethlisberger. They are made drafted in the same year and they are two elite QB.

zulater
11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
c'mon!..Alex Smith?????....seriously

It has no comparison between Rivers and Smith!...Rivers is an elite QB, but this year has a very bad year, but are things that can happen.

And it is normal that had comparison between Rivers and Roethlisberger. They are made drafted in the same year and they are two elite QB.

Ben's had a couple statistically bad years ( 06,08) yet never once did I doubt he was elite. Same with Rivers this year. Yeah he doesn't have the post season resume that Ben does, but he's got Norv Turner as his coach, guy can't perform miracles.:lol: Seriously I'd take Ben any day over Rivers, but Rivers is still on my top 7 list.

Steeldude
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
how well would BR do on the chargers vs how well would rivers do on the steelers

polamalubeast
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Ben's had a couple statistically bad years ( 06,08) yet never once did I doubt he was elite. Same with Rivers this year. Yeah he doesn't have the post season resume that Ben does, but he's got Norv Turner as his coach, guy can't perform miracles.:lol: Seriously I'd take Ben any day over Rivers, but Rivers is still on my top 7 list.

Agree

zulater
11-11-2011, 02:52 PM
how well would BR do on the chargers vs how well would rivers do on the steelers

Hard to know? :noidea:

polamalubeast
11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
The Chargers must fired Norv Turner and AJ Smith(GM).

The drafts of the chargers are very bad since 2007. And Norv Turner, the Chargers again did not seem prepared against the raiders yesterday.

polamalubeast
11-11-2011, 02:57 PM

And Lamarr Woodley is out of the NFL if he was drafted to another team.:coffee::rolleyes:

Steeldude
11-11-2011, 04:42 PM
And Lamarr Woodley is out of the NFL if he was drafted to another team.:coffee::rolleyes:

you certainly are obsessed with woodley. i thought this thread was about BR and rivers.

Psycho Ward 86
11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
you certainly are obsessed with woodley. i thought this thread was about BR and rivers.

and not all pessimistic player threads are about Kordell Stewart...

st33lersguy
11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
In the clutch Ben is 50 times better than Rivers

Steeldude
11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
and not all pessimistic player threads are about Kordell Stewart...

that's true, but what does that have to do with rivers or BR in this thread?

polamalubeast
11-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Sorry!

Dodt
11-12-2011, 04:21 PM
just look at ben and phillips hands count the rings.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
is this a trick question?

tube517
11-12-2011, 04:55 PM

All QB's except Tebow and Ben are in the top 3 :coffee: