PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Polamalu violated NFL rule by punching ball forward

stillers4me
10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/players/troypolamalu/profile?id=POL041872)'s slapping of the ball into the end zone at the end of Sunday's 25-17 victory over the New England Patriots (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011103008/2011/REG8/patriots@steelers) was against an NFL rule.

The rule states that a player may not bat or punch a loose ball in the field of play toward the opponent's goal line; a loose ball that has touched the ground in any direction, if it is in either end zone; or a backward pass in flight, which can't be batted forward by an offensive player............... Read more @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823a6659/article/steelers-polamalu-violated-nfl-rule-by-punching-ball-forward?campaign=Twitter_news

When asked about the play after the game, Polamalu said, "Whatever is going to get me in trouble, I'm saying the opposite."

:lol:

zulater
10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
15,000 fine from Goodell coming.

Edman
10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
"THE STEALER PLAY DIRTY AND PAY OFF DA REFS!"

Oh, and a $25,000 fine.

fansince'76
10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Another example of an event that occurs fairly regularly in the NFL, but when the Steelers do it, it all of a sudden draws a much larger amount of attention than it regularly would (see Pouncey moving the ball up last year (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/maurkice-pouncey-helped-steelers-gain-key-first-down-in-unusual-wa/) as another - something every goddamn center in the league does), with the not-so-subtle insinuation of "cheating" attached to it. :coffee:

SteelerFanInStl
10-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Why are people so damn focused on this one play? Yes, it should have been a penalty but it wasn't called. Just like countless other penalties that weren't called during the game. It's not like as if the 2 points from that safety won the game for us.

Crow-Magnon
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
You could clearly see that he punched the ball in replay, but at game speed it looked like he slid towards the ball with outstretched arms and just doinked it. Head's-up play if you ask me.

fansince'76
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Why are people so damn focused on this one play? Yes, it should have been a penalty but it wasn't called. Just like countless other penalties that weren't called during the game. It's not like as if the 2 points from that safety won the game for us.

Nuh-uh! By not calling it correctly, those corrupt refs denied Brady the chance to sling the ball 80 yards to Welker on a Hail Mary and win the game! You know he would have too! :rolleyes:

steeldevil
10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Even with all of the bias against us, I don't see how he can fine Troy on this. It wasn't one of the new "player safety" issues, just a normal missed penalty. Of course at this point I think we all know he pretty much does what he wants...

whodat1
10-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Goodall's comment on this will probably be; "Fine, FINE!"

XxKnightxX
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
If theres someone to be fined, its the refs for missing the call. Knowing from Mike Carey and the call during the SB, Im shocked he didnt make it, but it was impossible to tell since it was Polamalu going under 2 of NEs big ass linemen. Im just shocked how its such a big deal because it was the Pats* on the other side of teh ball.

Count Steeler
10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
See what behavior follows the use of cellphones on the sidelines?

15,000 fine. Go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

tube517
10-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Nuh-uh! By not calling it correctly, those corrupt refs denied Brady the chance to sling the ball 80 yards to Welker on a Hail Mary and win the game! You know he would have too! :rolleyes:

Polamalu cheated and we won. Fair and square :chuckle:

tube517
10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
See what behavior follows the use of cellphones on the sidelines?

15,000 fine. Go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Second offense...Troy needs some disciplining now! He should be suspended. The Chief would never have supported that!

Count Steeler
10-31-2011, 06:14 PM
It is not a penalty unless it is called on the field. How many holds have there been on Harrison that have never been called. That's just for starters.

fansince'76
10-31-2011, 06:19 PM
It is not a penalty unless it is called on the field. How many holds have there been on Harrison that have never been called. That's just for starters.

According to my "primer," Harrison never gets held.

The Whiny-Assed Crybaby's Primer to NFL Officiating

1. Any and every call and no-call which benefits any and every opponent of the Steelers is always 100% correct and fair.

2. Any and every call and no-call which benefits the Steelers in any way, shape or form, is always incorrect and always the result of paid off refs and unfair favoritism by the NFL and the Steelers-loving media.

O'Malley
10-31-2011, 06:39 PM
You could clearly see that he punched the ball in replay, but at game speed it looked like he slid towards the ball with outstretched arms and just doinked it. Head's-up play if you ask me.

I agree, I didn't notice it until it was slowed down. heads up play...

O'Malley
10-31-2011, 06:42 PM

Every snap, apperaently you can closeline him and continue to do it until the play is over and that is called a block...

slippy
10-31-2011, 06:45 PM
godell is an asshole.

suitanim
11-01-2011, 10:28 AM
They thought it was kicked in the broadcasters booth. The refs probably thought it was accidentally knocked forward by a player trying to retrieve it. A good conspiracy theorist would surmise that they supposed it was kicked or advanced BY A PATRIOT, therefore the no call.

Either way, there is no controversy. Steelers won, fair and square, no video taping required...

tihmtahm
11-01-2011, 10:55 AM

... if he didn't catch it there would have been a defensive holding call or a pass interference call, that would have placed the ball at the one inch line, with 1:50 left on the clock, and seven downs by which to attempt the game winning TD. Because an infraction against Tom Brady is an infraction against Goodall, the NFL, and the American way of life. The Steelers are the infidels and must be stopped.

BlacknGoldBabe
11-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Can the fans fine Goodell for being a douche bag?

tube517
11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Can the fans fine Goodell for being a douche bag?

You are giving douche bags a very bad name comparing them to Goodhell. :nono:

GodfatherofSoul
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Woodley's backup #54 (name?) and Keisel were both held on that strip-sack play. They need to stop crying.

O'Malley
11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Woodley's backup #54 (name?) and Keisel were both held on that strip-sack play. They need to stop crying.

It's not holding when the Patriots*** are on offense and the Steelers are on D....

katmandu
11-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Why are people so damn focused on this one play? Because is was Troy. :Rolleyes:

Jay
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't give two sheets at this point. We got the win, done... I'm watching the game right now on NFL Replay.

SteelGhost
11-01-2011, 09:29 PM
They thought it was kicked in the broadcasters booth. The refs probably thought it was accidentally knocked forward by a player trying to retrieve it. A good conspiracy theorist would surmise that they supposed it was kicked or advanced BY A PATRIOT, therefore the no call.

Either way, there is no controversy. Steelers won, fair and square, no video taping required...

THIS

GBMelBlount
11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
When asked about the play after the game, Polamalu said, "Whatever is going to get me in trouble, I'm saying the opposite."

LOL.

Amazing you have to be an athlete and a diplomat to survive in professional football these days.