PDA

View Full Version : How long, in your opinion, does the ''So-and-So won us a championship'' excuse last?

The WH
07-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I couldn't think of what sports thread to put this in.

IMO it last 1 season. If a player wins a championship and then falls flat on their face the next year, i'll give them a pass in my opinion. After that, it's under the bus they go.

Butch
07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
LOL that's a good question.

I hear it all the time when people defend B.A. that we won a championship with him as our O.C. to which I reply we also won with Mitch Berger as our punter, but he didn't get an invite back the next year.

So with all that reasoning I guess IMHO it would be what have you done for me lately season by season unless there is some extenuating circumstance.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
We live in the what have you done for me lately world. It can be a pain in the butt mentality that's for sure. Although if you're not doing the work(basically producing the same results Matt Millen did), then that's when I would call for the pink slip.

fansince'76
07-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Player or coach? Different standards for the two, IMO. For a (head) coach, I think it buys at least 3 years of goodwill. Assistant coaches are at the mercy of the HC in most cases - Whisenhunt canned his DC after they lost the SB to us, for example. For a player, it depends on the position, and even the sport, really - a player can have a great year numbers-wise and their team may still underachieve as a whole (in this example a QB) - is it fair that they get the blame for that?

stlrtruck
07-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I would say it depends on the greatness of the player:
Lemieux - eternity
70's Steelers Teams player - eternity
Jagr - statue of limitation has expired, two days before he signed with the crapitals

X-Terminator
07-04-2010, 08:51 AM
IMO, once you win a championship, it's something that cannot be taken away. Someone may try to discredit or downplay it, but that's all they can do. It doesn't change the fact that he has a ring on his finger. Having said that, it should buy a coach at least 4 or 5 years if the teams continue to have good seasons. Players...I don't think there should be a limit on that. There's a lot of extenuating circumstances that may go into the success or failure of a player.

zulater
07-05-2010, 10:44 AM
It will be interesting to see what kind of year Marc Andre has next year? I think the additions they've made on the backline should help him out.