PDA

View Full Version : With statement win, Steelers show critics they still haven't lost a step

zulater
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
With statement win, Steelers show critics they still haven't lost a step

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/don_banks/10/30/steelers.patriots/heath-miller.jpg

PITTSBURGH -- At 2-2, coming off that humbling and ragged Week 4 loss in Houston, they looked old, slow and perhaps even insufficiently motivated. Now, not quite a month later, the Pittsburgh Steelers just look dangerous. Once again.
You know what is starting to get old? The notion that the Steelers might be getting old. How long have we been falling for that one now? Five years? Ten? Pittsburgh's demise, as it turns out, was once again prematurely reported, and greatly exaggerated.
"They do that every year, every year,'' said Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley, after Pittsburgh held the ball for more than 39 minutes and led from start to finish in a convincing 25-17 defeat of New England on Sunday at Heinz Field. "When I was in college they were saying the Steelers are getting old, and this team is out of it. That's every year.
"But definitely, when you're the dominating team in the league, everybody is always trying to talk negative about you. But every year we seem to prove everybody wrong by going out there and getting wins and playing in the big games for another year.''
The rest of the AFC probably isn't going to want to hear this about the team that has represented the conference in three of the past six Super Bowls, but it's a pretty good bet there are more big games ahead for this year's Steelers. You can't say Pittsburgh is back when it never went away in the first place, but you can tell the Steelers are figuring things out again, and that's never a good development for the title dreams of 31 other NFL teams.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/10/30/steelers.patriots/index.html#ixzz1cNW7Azhi

tihmtahm
10-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Excellent article!

fansince'76
10-31-2011, 11:46 AM
The media can can it. They largely wrote this team off a month-and-a-half ago.

zulater
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
The media can can it. They largely wrote this team off a month-and-a-half ago.

So did a lot of our own here as well. :wink02:

DEW Steelers
10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Old? Can't wait to hear Sapp now! Can't wait to go to the burgh to watch the game this Sunday....

zulater
10-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Mike Lombardi's take on the Steelers win (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823a55a9/article/motivated-steelers-beat-pats-at-own-game-more-week-8)

Many people in the NFL won't acknowledge the media, saying they never pay attention to what is written or said about their team. But we all know that is not true, especially when the media is used to help motivate a team to play its best. Just ask Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Throughout the offseason and especially after the first weekend of the season when they got hammered in Baltimore, the Steelers have heard the media call their defense too old, too slow and too past their prime. This past week, they had to listen to everyone say the Patriots and Tom Brady had their number. Tomlin used these words to motivate, focus and improve his team. The "us against the world" routine still works well.

Four weeks ago, after getting beat in Houston in Week 4, the Steelers practiced in pads two days in a row. The result was a blowout win against the Titans. Since that point, the Steelers have improved their pad level and physical intensity and have won four games in a row. Before they played the Patriots, Tomlin once again had the team in pads, getting them ready to handle the challenge that awaited them in Brady and the Pats' potent offense. The Steelers once again responded and dominated the Patriots
From the first snap, the Steelers were in complete control. Behind the arm of Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers executed their passing game with precision. Fearing the big play, the Patriots tried to zone blitz, but it never bothered Roethlisberger at all. The Steelers are an explosive offensive passing team with three receivers who can run -- Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Brown has really emerged as a big play receiver and is an excellent route runner. These three receivers, combined with the big arm of Roethlisberger, have turned the Steelers into an offense with as much speed as the Eagles.

When the Steelers defense took the field, they changed their style from a zone concept and borrowed a page from the Jets defensive playbook, locking onto the Patriots receivers man to man. With Ike Taylor following Wes Welker around on every snap, the Steelers secondary was the dominating factor in the game. Brady was unable to make big plays in the passing game; their longest gain was just 23 yards. When the Patriots cannot grab early control of the game with their offense, they struggle to win. As much as the Steelers offense dominated the Patriots defense, the Steelers defense dominated the Patriots high-powered offense. And in essence, Pittsburgh beat New England at their own game -- letting the offense dictate the pace.

So much for all that talk about the Steelers being old and slow. They might be old, but they are still talented and tough. Now after four straight wins, they have their swagger back. And Tomlin hopes everyone keeps writing his team off. It makes his job a little easier.

polamalubeast
10-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Steelers vs the world(and Warren Sapp)!

GutterflowerSteel
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Listening to the different Sirius NFL radio hosts heaping praise on Ben's magnificent performance & the signature Steelers win - ALL.DAY.LONG! :tt02: I LOVE IT! Schein & Gannon were just questioning Belicheat's decision to onside kick *snicker* Can't wait to hear T-Rock & PK going on about the game later :)

SteelerFanInStl
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
And of course all of the 'experts' that had already written us off as 'old and slow' are now praising us like they believed all along. :lol:

Count Steeler
10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
As great as it feels to beat the Pats*, we have a lot of work to do. Ravens next.

Craic
10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
In the OP article. What I love the most, is how Woodley comes mostly the defense not of the D or Lebeau, but of the offense. That is a young many becoming a leader on this team. Gotta love it.

I also love the fact that Tomlin put this team in pads this last week.

SteelerEmpire
10-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Hats off to Coach Lake, that was a shut down secondary !

Edman
10-31-2011, 02:50 PM
As nice it is to beat New England, this isn't a statement game. It's a big AFC win, but it's not a big division win.

The REAL statement games are next two games against the Ravens and Bengals. Losing to them erases the New England game and jumpstarts the talk all over again. The Ravens blew out the Steelers Week 1, are always a tough opponent and the surprising Bengals are surging with Dalton and their Defense.

Beating Baltimore and Cincinnati takes command of the division.

steelerdude15
10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
As nice it is to beat New England, this isn't a statement game. It's a big AFC win, but it's not a big division win.

The REAL statement games are next two games against the Ravens and Bengals. Losing to them erases the New England game and jumpstarts the talk all over again. The Ravens blew out the Steelers Week 1, are always a tough opponent and the surprising Bengals are surging with Dalton and their Defense.

Beating Baltimore and Cincinnati takes command of the division.
The celebrating should be over now.... we're coming.

ALLD
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
The key will be getting BB to stop holding onto the ball so often. He took a big sack just before the pick. Eliminate the first and the second probably doesn't happen.

XxKnightxX
10-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Listening to the different Sirius NFL radio hosts heaping praise on Ben's magnificent performance & the signature Steelers win - ALL.DAY.LONG! :tt02: I LOVE IT! Schein & Gannon were just questioning Belicheat's decision to onside kick *snicker* Can't wait to hear T-Rock & PK going on about the game later :)

Call me socially awkward, but all this praise and attention, I aint buying it and I want it off TV airwaves lol. Maybe a player or a coaches mentality, but I dont want the players buying into that and staying motivated. Im glad of this win, I really am , but theres even more motivation from the Ravens game. The minute the clock struck zero, I smiled for an hour , and put my head towards the Ravens this sunday night.