PDA

View Full Version : The "Lake" Effect on the improved Pass D.

Edman
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
2010 Tom Brady vs Steelers: 30/43 350 Yards 3 TD, 1 INT. Pats score 32 points on Offense.
2011 Tom Brady vs Steelers: 24/35 198 Yards 2 TD, 0 INT. Pats limited to 17 points.

I came into this game expecting the worst. Thought the Steelers has little shot to win because Brady would tear up our untested and unproven Pass Defense. But this game hammered it home and stuffed my mouth with a ton of crow. The Steelers Top Ranked Pass D is legitimate. What was once a weakness last season became a surprising strength. The improved play of Mundy, Gay, and Lewis was huge in this game. Of course, the scheme also had a lot to do with it. Lebeau did what needed to be done, he got rid of the cushion and played physical man, and the guys stepped up to the plate.

If anyone has any more Crow. I'd like some please.

fansince'76
10-30-2011, 08:46 PM
If anyone has any more Crow. I'd like some please.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jG7uIJAXCcM/R1AhafZevjI/AAAAAAAAAzY/Mp5reLRBX18/s1600-R/EatCrow.gif

:chuckle:

zulater
11-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Nothing against Carnell, as I'm sure he's a good coach, but in my opinion much of the difference this year is that Keenan Lewis has come into his own this year and emerged as a legitimate bonafide NFL starting quality cornerback. He's so much better than McFadden or Gay were as there. Now obviously Gay is also playing well this year, but he's being used more as a nickel back. So rather than matching up with teams second best wr, he gets the 3. I will say this, Mundy, and Gay are both covering better than ever, so I'm sure Lake has had an affect.

ALLD
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Do we still need to make Mel Blount an offer he can't refuse to come back?

steelreserve
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I attribute the difference to one thing: not playing scared. This is the first time in years that we've allowed Troy to be his usual self against the Patriots, roaming the field, disrupting the play, etc. Normally against them, we make him line up 15 yards deep and try to play straight coverage on a receiver, which is about the one thing he doesn't excel at. That alone made a huge difference in the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
The Steelers played a lot more man coverage and they had the guys to do it. Keenan Lewis played a ton of Man coverage at Oregon St, and is still learning to play off man. Lets just see if they play more man this week, or choose to play zone.

pepsyman1
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I think that just the fact that they now KNOW they CAN play man will be huge. It will add to the level of confusion that Lebeau's zone blitz scheme already brings some teams. Are they paying zone? Will they slide up and play pressure man? They best part was that they were doing it from their base personnel. We COULD be bringing pressure on any play and it will be hard to predict. Another tool for the tool belt

tube517
11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I think that just the fact that they now KNOW they CAN play man will be huge. It will add to the level of confusion that Lebeau's zone blitz scheme already brings some teams. Are they paying zone? Will they slide up and play pressure man? They best part was that they were doing it from their base personnel. We COULD be bringing pressure on any play and it will be hard to predict. Another tool for the tool belt

I agree. This only helps them and adds to their versatility.

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2011, 06:03 PM
The Steelers played a lot more man coverage and they had the guys to do it. Keenan Lewis played a ton of Man coverage at Oregon St, and is still learning to play off man. Lets just see if they play more man this week, or choose to play zone.

the threat of ray rice obviously demands a change in strategy, but i think we should apply some of that man to man press coverage against the Ravens to neutralize their tight ends as well.

suitanim
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
the threat of ray rice obviously demands a change in strategy, but i think we should apply some of that man to man press coverage against the Ravens to neutralize their tight ends as well.

We will do what everyone else has done who have had success against the filthrats. We'll line up to stop the run (4-3?) and make Flacco beat us with the pass.