PDA

View Full Version : Pass defense against the Patriots...

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Ive been one of the members of the common party looking for our pass defense to play well against an elite offense and i think that has just come to fruition. Ike Taylor, Willie Gay, and Lewis all look like they've improved immensely. This game was a great gauge of exactly how well our DB's our playing because of all the man coverage. Lewis especially has improved steadily through the course of the season. Clark laid down plenty of his vintage big hits (even if one of them was a penalty). My favorite drive of this entire damn game was the Patriots last TD drive. That's right, I LOVED the drive where we let them score 6 on us. Save for the TD, that was an absolutely LEGENDARY effort to keep the Patsies out of our turf. All those penalties stacking up on each other (lets not forget chris carter went offsides on 3rd down, and the patriots sucked on 3rd down all game) yet it took so many plays to finally score. Hell, not to mention it took a ton of time off of the clock. Those last two plays before the TD were amazing efforts. Sure, Willie got a hold on Branch that got Mundy an interception that got called back, but even if he didnt, he had him locked down. The play before that one, the dump off pass to Faulk that looked like a walk in TD until Clark torpedoed him millimeters away from crossing the plane, dropping him for a 2 yard loss instead. Ultimately, the defense played with waaay more heart than any other game this season. Damn proud of this group.

And also...

34-27 patriots

the pats have the edge on EVERYTHING offensively, they have also run the ball a hell of a lot better than us

i love being wrong! :tt02:

ALLD
10-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Even with our D, if the refs bet on the Pats it makes this victory even more legendary.

fansince'76
10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
The "Lake" effect. :applaudit:

BigNastyDefense
10-30-2011, 07:06 PM
The "Lake" effect. :applaudit:

I LIKE IT!!!!! :tt03:

Godfather
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
The play before that one, the dump off pass to Faulk that looked like a walk in TD until Clark torpedoed him millimeters away from crossing the plane, dropping him for a 2 yard loss instead.

Interestingly, Clark and Faulk were college teammates.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Looks like Clark wanted to be the 1st to say hi :lol:

Count Steeler
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Great effort. Strongly believe this is a real tangible game that the Lake effect can be witnessed. He has a lot of confidence in his secondary, even the young DBs. Thanks to Lake and Lebeau for an awesome game plan.

Let's not forget, no Harrison, no Farrior (wonder if that was by design) and no Woodley for the last quarter. Carter looked capable and Timmons was making an impact. But this game belongs to the DBs. Great coverage most of the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
I've been hoping for Keenan Lewis to step up and be a real contributor. Nice to see him finding his way in his 3rd season. Also like what I saw from Cortez Allen in his limited time. Gay played well too, going to be tough for them not to try and sign him beyond this year. Thinking we have some nice young CB's on the team(I didnt even mention Curtis Brown)

7willBheaven
10-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I've been hoping for Keenan Lewis to step up and be a real contributor. Nice to see him finding his way in his 3rd season. Also like what I saw from Cortez Allen in his limited time. Gay played well too, going to be tough for them not to try and sign him beyond this year. Thinking we have some nice young CB's on the team(I didnt even mention Curtis Brown)

I've got to agree I've been hoping Lewis could be a good player and such too. And I've always said the more playing time any young player gets the better they will be. And now FINALLY he's getting playing time...and he's getting better and better. Same thing can be said for a lot of the teams young guys...they keep improving more and more with playing time. Riding the bench for a couple seasons and playing on ST or if 1-2 players ahead of you get hurt is NOT going to help them...while during their rookie years it helps with learning the playbook some...but NOTHING is more valuable and helpful than actually getting to play...and its showing.

tube517
10-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Just a friendly Heinz Field reunion, Ryan Clark style. :chuckle:

SMR
10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I've got to agree I've been hoping Lewis could be a good player and such too. And I've always said the more playing time any young player gets the better they will be. And now FINALLY he's getting playing time...and he's getting better and better. Same thing can be said for a lot of the teams young guys...they keep improving more and more with playing time. Riding the bench for a couple seasons and playing on ST or if 1-2 players ahead of you get hurt is NOT going to help them...while during their rookie years it helps with learning the playbook some...but NOTHING is more valuable and helpful than actually getting to play...and its showing.

I totally agree with you. I've noticed Lewis from the beginning, and there is something promising about him.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 09:40 PM
by the way, what's happened to McFadden these last couple of weeks? It's like he's fallen off the face of the earth. Has he even been activated?

tube517
10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
by the way, what's happened to McFadden these last couple of weeks? It's like he's fallen off the face of the earth. Has he even been activated?

Dropped down to 4th on the depth chart. I did see him on special teams today. Buh bye, BMac.

Dino 6 Rings
10-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Man on man coverage. Our defensive backs are better man for man than the Patriots receivers, and our WRs are better man for man than the Patriots DBs

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Man on man coverage. Our defensive backs are better man for man than the Patriots receivers, and our WRs are better man for man than the Patriots DBs

I never thought it would play out that way. What a pleasant-ass surprise

86WARD
10-30-2011, 10:19 PM
A WHOLE LOTTA press coverage....very un-Steelers like. Definitely confused Brady, Welker and the rest of the receivers.

Chidi29
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Props to Cortez Allen for making a couple tackles on Gronk. Don't see guys of that size at the Citadel.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Props to Cortez Allen for making a couple tackles on Gronk. Don't see guys of that size at the Citadel.

hey Chidi i know you got this all covered, but this week could you do an extra perceptive job of analyzing our DB's efforts individually and just the schemes and coverages we used to pull this win out of our ass? Thanks, this game should be particularly fun to analyze!

steel9guy
10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Great gameplan. Best Defensive Performance for a full game in years. I am shocked beyond words that we did that. I really liked the Man Defense that we played. I think we are more built for that than with a zone but if we can do this to the big passing teams for know on I'll be happy. I"m freaken proud of the Steelers! What a game! Not gonna enjoy it though after today because of what team is coming in next weekend. Get ready for another knock down tough game that we better play D in like we did today.

Chidi29
10-30-2011, 11:04 PM
hey Chidi i know you got this all covered, but this week could you do an extra perceptive job of analyzing our DB's efforts individually and just the schemes and coverages we used to pull this win out of our ass? Thanks, this game should be particularly fun to analyze!

I'll do what I can. I'm using my God-awful backup laptop so I feel kinda limited, won't be on here as much as I like to following the Pats win, but I'll try. Roomate will let me use his computer so there's that.

kmsteelerwr15
10-30-2011, 11:14 PM
The secondary did great in the game. What I was really happy with was the fact that the Pats receivers weren't getting many yards after the catch.

st33lersguy
10-30-2011, 11:14 PM
If our DBs play like this against Joe Flacco the Steelers should be in great position for a win

pepsyman1
10-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I think the part of it that meant the most to me is that Coach D was willing to throw out a game plan that hasn't worked against this team in the past and make a great adjustment. The fact that the coaches now KNOW we can play press coverage opens up all kinda of possibilities for the future. Opposing offenses really won't be able to predict what we are going to do. Keep in mind who we were missing as well. We saw young guys step up and perform against one of the very best offenses there is. That takes pressure off some of our older defensive stars, they can rotate in and out and be fresher for the playoffs. The statement our D made today was truly huge.