PDA

View Full Version : Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski vs. Steelers CB William Gay

stillers4me
10-30-2011, 09:36 AM
No other team in the National Football League creates mismatches and exploits weaknesses more than the New England Patriots. Of course, it helps when the quarterback is Tom Brady.

For proof, witness what happened last year at Heinz Field when the Patriots pounded the Steelers, 39-26, by throwing three touchdown passes to rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski.

In all three instances, Gronkowski was matched in man coverage against nickel back William Gay.

"It starts at top with Bill Belichick," safety Ryan Clark said. "It starts with his savvy of knowing that we're going to go out and beat teams in a way we can beat them. There are some weeks they have packages just for the week. One week it's five wide receivers and the next week it's two tight ends."

That is what the Patriots did to the Steelers in 2010 and probably what they are hoping to accomplish today when they play at Heinz Field.

This time, though, it won't be a surprise.............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11303/1186164-66-0.stm

Edman
10-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think Gay will be lined up against Gronkowski this time, he'll be put on a reciever. Likely Ocho or Branch.

The matchup that scares me is Benjarvus Green-Ellis vs the Steelers Run D and Gronkowski/Hernandez against our 'Backers.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 09:47 AM
No. just no. That is a failure of a matchup.

The Duke
10-30-2011, 09:48 AM
No. just no. That is a failure of a matchup.

This

If it happens we're gonna lost, that simple

SteelerEmpire
10-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I would expect one of the newer, taller CB's to be assigned to him this time around...

st33lersguy
10-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Gronkowski wins easily

TheSikOne
10-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Cortez Allen was on him 1-on-1 for a lot of plays. Played pretty well i might add given the way he torched us last year...

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Gay had Branch pretty much locked out of the game. Good work!

Count Steeler
10-30-2011, 07:51 PM
The whole secondary was simply awesome. There is great hope for the future now. Lake is developing these kids and they performed very well in their first major test.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Mundy was on Gronkowski some, also saw Polamalu on him too. Gay played well on whoever he had, but they made sure he didnt get inside on Welker or Gronkowski.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Mundy was on Gronkowski some, also saw Polamalu on him too. Gay played well on whoever he had, but they made sure he didnt get inside on Welker or Gronkowski.

I saw him mostly on Price, Hernandez, and Branch. Ike shared a few on Branch when the Pats were stacking him and Welker together.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I saw him mostly on Price, Hernandez, and Branch. Ike shared a few on Branch when the Pats were stacking him and Welker together.

Yeah, I noticed one time that Ike went to cover Welker in the slot, while Gay and Lewis played the outside on Branch and Price. Seemed odd that Ike played slot receiver instead of Gay, but I guess you want Ike on the teams best WR.