PDA

View Full Version : Wallace has favorable matchup with slumping Pats secondary

stillers4me
10-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Interesting matchup at Heinz Field Sunday in the afternoon game of the day in the NFL, and I don't just mean the Steelers and Patriots. I mean the Steelers ascending wide receiver, Mike Wallace, versus the Patriots' descending cornerback, Devin McCourty.

McCourty was one of my two All-Pro corners last year, finally filling the void left by Asante Samuel when he left for Philadelphia in free agency in 2008. He was a durable shutdown corner; according to ProFootballFocus, quarterbacks had a paltry 61.1 rating throwing against McCourty in 2010 -- that's like playing against Kyle Boller every week. But that passer rating has skied to 123.6 this year. He may think he's the same confident player he was last year, but he's not playing like it.

It's not only Wallace who McCourty and the Patriots will have to worry about Sunday. A 2010 sixth-round pick from Central Michigan, Antonio Brown, gives Ben Roethlisberger a second deep threat opposite Wallace. Together, they're averaging 18 yards per catch. Suddenly, the Steelers aren't your father's Steelers. They're a team happier to throw it deep than to let Rashard Mendenhall bang it into the line.............

read more @ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/28/week-8/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0

ALLD
10-30-2011, 09:38 AM
It's not only Wallace who McCourty and the Patriots will have to worry about Sunday. A 2010 sixth-round pick from Central Michigan, Antonio Brown, gives Ben Roethlisberger a second deep threat opposite Wallace. Together, they're averaging 18 yards per catch.

Suddenly, the Steelers aren't your father's Steelers.

read more @ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/28/week-8/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree. This is history repeating itself i.e., "Mel Blount Rule". If you can't beat them, join them. Swann and Stallworth were two huge deep threats with some of the greatest catches in NFL history and there is a generation of highlight film to back it up.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2011, 09:46 AM
our receivers vs the pats secondary is an edge, but the one im worried about is our O-line vs their dline

Galax Steeler
10-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Nice read thanks for sharing.

GBMelBlount
10-30-2011, 10:18 AM
If they double team wallace we still have Brown (and Sanders) who are fast and Cotchery of course...

I would love to see a poised Ben absolutely dismantle the Patriots today...

I just hope the Oline has had their ball sacks injected with some extra testosterone....please bring your A game today guys...

steelpride12
10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I know and understand our offense has an edge vs. the Pats secondary, but if we don't score first, early, and often it won't matter. I'm a realist and expect the Pats will put up big numbers against our D as usual and our only chance is to out-duel them.

steeldevil
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
our receivers vs the pats secondary is an edge, but the one im worried about is our O-line vs their dline

Yep. I'm having visions of Wilfork and Haynesworth EATING the interior of our line and putting Ben on a stretcher.... Thats honestly what I'm worried most about in this game.

GBMelBlount
10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm a realist and expect the Pats will put up big numbers against our D as usual and our only chance is to out-duel them.

Agreed. Unless we win big on turnovers, the outcome of this game will likely rest on Ben's shoulders...

...and I would imagine Ben realizes this.