PDA

View Full Version : How to slow down Tom Brady

Chidi29
10-29-2011, 02:31 PM
My take on how to do it. Note that I didn't say "stop" because you're not going to do so. But there are some things I've seen other teams do to disrupt the Patriots' offense. Wish this would be a little more in-depth and that I could've watched more games, but my computer is having some major problems. Haven't even been able to finish the Cardinals game yet. Have to take it to the store today, who knows how long it'll be out for.

---------

When I watched the Browns game last year, they did do a few things that most people say needs to be done to stop Brady.

In 3rd and long, they only played with one or two down lineman. Did a lot of late shifting, moved their LBs around, dropped their safties down/back at the last second and not let Brady get a good read on the coverage he'd be facing.

But there are a few other things.

We should play with a lot of outside leverage on their WRs. Force them into one area and hopefully congest the heck out of it. I realize the Patriots have no problem throwing to the middle, but if you can get all those WRs, TEs, and defensive players into a confined space, you really tighten up throwing lanes.. Then it doesn't become as simple as nickel and diming your way down the field. You have to be perfect on every throw. This is what Cleveland seemed to do for the majority of the game.

So play a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 3 to force the receviers into essentially a "box" between the numbers and in front of the safety. Do NOT play Cover 2 because that leaves the deep middle wide open and they burnt us with that a lot last year. I can remember Gronk's 20 yard TD and the post to Brandon Tate were throws down the middle or down the seam.

Playing Cover 1 and 3 also lets Troy roam wherever he wants because Clark can be the deep safety. In Cover 2, he can still roam pre-snap but has to end up being in a certain space after the snap. Now he can play on the TE, get up against the run, blitz, whatever.

I'd really like to move Timmons to ILB on obvious passing situations and have Chris Carter play OLB (or if we go Nickel, have 3 DL with Timmons, Farrior, and Woodley). We can't have Farrior/Foote try to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez. They're just not athletic enough. So have Timmons drop to a depth of 10-15 yards and again, box the defense into that confined space.

You can do what you like with your OLBs and other ILB. We need to have some variety in our schemes so they don't become predictable and the Pats figure out a way to beat it. There's that best of both worlds mentality to it; a solid foundation but has the ability to mix things up. However, if we're in our base and they run say a 3 WR set, the OLB to the 2 WR side, needs to come out and play that outside leverage as well. Again, force everything inside.

Because when you think about it, that's what our defense does. Hasn't our defense always been about, "if you're going to beat us, this is how you have to do it". You can't run on us, and you can't throw deep against us. It's been those short passes against teams like New England that eat us up. But at least you know what's coming and what to expect. The same thing here. You're telling them what they HAVE to do whether they like it or not. And then you can anticipate what their offense is going to do and prepare against it.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Feel free to comment.

Now if you excuse me, I have to sacrifice a goat so my hard drive isn't wiped out (that's how you fix computer problems, right?).

Psycho Ward 86
10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
I wasnt aware of the "funneling" of receivers, but i agree with all of this. And contrary to common belief, I dont think we should blitz Brady hard. We need to trust the guys up front or send only our best to rush the passer to generate pressure. That's what the Browns, Jets, and Cowboys did and they were successful. Throw out that garbage from the superbowl with the Giants, that was a totally different circumstance. The giants were just too emotionally charged to be stopped by ANYBODY. We arent going to be able to play like the '07 giants. We have to do what's been working in recent years.

ALLD
10-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I say we lay back and cover everybody early. Then rush him later and decapitate him.

O'Malley
10-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I still think a backup should be used to hit Brady every play even if it's late and get him out of the game that is how you stop him...

zulater
10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
My take on how to do it. Note that I didn't say "stop" because you're not going to do so. But there are some things I've seen other teams do to disrupt the Patriots' offense. Wish this would be a little more in-depth and that I could've watched more games, but my computer is having some major problems. Haven't even been able to finish the Cardinals game yet. Have to take it to the store today, who knows how long it'll be out for.

---------

When I watched the Browns game last year, they did do a few things that most people say needs to be done to stop Brady.

In 3rd and long, they only played with one or two down lineman. Did a lot of late shifting, moved their LBs around, dropped their safties down/back at the last second and not let Brady get a good read on the coverage he'd be facing.

But there are a few other things.

We should play with a lot of outside leverage on their WRs. Force them into one area and hopefully congest the heck out of it. I realize the Patriots have no problem throwing to the middle, but if you can get all those WRs, TEs, and defensive players into a confined space, you really tighten up throwing lanes.. Then it doesn't become as simple as nickel and diming your way down the field. You have to be perfect on every throw. This is what Cleveland seemed to do for the majority of the game.

So play a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 3 to force the receviers into essentially a "box" between the numbers and in front of the safety. Do NOT play Cover 2 because that leaves the deep middle wide open and they burnt us with that a lot last year. I can remember Gronk's 20 yard TD and the post to Brandon Tate were throws down the middle or down the seam.

Playing Cover 1 and 3 also lets Troy roam wherever he wants because Clark can be the deep safety. In Cover 2, he can still roam pre-snap but has to end up being in a certain space after the snap. Now he can play on the TE, get up against the run, blitz, whatever.

I'd really like to move Timmons to ILB on obvious passing situations and have Chris Carter play OLB (or if we go Nickel, have 3 DL with Timmons, Farrior, and Woodley). We can't have Farrior/Foote try to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez. They're just not athletic enough. So have Timmons drop to a depth of 10-15 yards and again, box the defense into that confined space.

You can do what you like with your OLBs and other ILB. We need to have some variety in our schemes so they don't become predictable and the Pats figure out a way to beat it. There's that best of both worlds mentality to it; a solid foundation but has the ability to mix things up. However, if we're in our base and they run say a 3 WR set, the OLB to the 2 WR side, needs to come out and play that outside leverage as well. Again, force everything inside.

Because when you think about it, that's what our defense does. Hasn't our defense always been about, "if you're going to beat us, this is how you have to do it". You can't run on us, and you can't throw deep against us. It's been those short passes against teams like New England that eat us up. But at least you know what's coming and what to expect. The same thing here. You're telling them what they HAVE to do whether they like it or not. And then you can anticipate what their offense is going to do and prepare against it.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Feel free to comment.

Now if you excuse me, I have to sacrifice a goat so my hard drive isn't wiped out (that's how you fix computer problems, right?).

I trust you texted this to LeBeau? :wink02:

Chidi29
10-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I wasnt aware of the "funneling" of receivers, but i agree with all of this. And contrary to common belief, I dont think we should blitz Brady hard. We need to trust the guys up front or send only our best to rush the passer to generate pressure. That's what the Browns, Jets, and Cowboys did and they were successful. Throw out that garbage from the superbowl with the Giants, that was a totally different circumstance. The giants were just too emotionally charged to be stopped by ANYBODY. We arent going to be able to play like the '07 giants. We have to do what's been working in recent years.

You're definitely right that we can't play the way the Giants did. They actually had the best scheme to stop Brady. A great front four that you didn't need to blitz with leaving you with the luxury of dropping seven into coverage. Obviously,that isn't our scheme.

One other thing we need to do. Pass rushers need to get their hands up. Not always going to get to Brady, let's knock down some hot reads.

Chidi29
10-29-2011, 07:29 PM
I still think a backup should be used to hit Brady every play even if it's late and get him out of the game that is how you stop him...

If the only thing we can do to beat Brady, as tough as he is, is to play dirty, we don't deserve to even get on the field.

Borski
10-29-2011, 07:49 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9dXxeBimeoc/Tqyd6hp2NlI/AAAAAAAABDs/NCdwhtD5Fl4/s461/tom-brady.jpg

how do we stop The Flamboyant leader of the Gaytriots, Marsha Brady?

Chidi29
10-29-2011, 07:52 PM
I trust you texted this to LeBeau? :wink02:

Nah.

I went to the defenses' meeting with him. :chuckle:

TomlinSteelTribe
10-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I think this is pretty spot-on. I don't really want Farrior or Foote on the field much. Keisel, Heyward, Hood, and Woodley should be used as the most frequent pass rushers. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think that group could get some decent pressure on Brady. Throw in a blitzer every now and again.

oneforthetoe
10-30-2011, 02:31 AM
This is the guy we need to slow down Brady.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JIza3qgx3vA/TbiHA62jddI/AAAAAAAAAZs/Rsu3ps3b1fs/s1600/bill+murray+as+carl+spackler+in+caddyshack.png

If he bothers you, I'll take care of him. What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play [football] again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

Moose
10-30-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure there is "stopping" Brady unless he's injured. LOL. We haven't been able to "stop" him so far in all the year's playing him. If you stop him in one aspect, the he and the coaches will make a change and hit you with another aspect. We all know he's tough passing...and handing off for the running game. Of course, it's another year and anything can happen, but as we've all said, the next 3 weeks will determine our team and season hopes. The " A " team will have to be at Heinz field today and next Sunday. Good Luck Black/Yellow---GO STEELER'S !!

BlacknGoldBabe
10-30-2011, 07:00 AM
This is the guy we need to slow down Brady.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JIza3qgx3vA/TbiHA62jddI/AAAAAAAAAZs/Rsu3ps3b1fs/s1600/bill+murray+as+carl+spackler+in+caddyshack.png

Personally, I vote for the groundskeeper from Caddy Shack. Send him out to bomb a few gopher holes around Brady's feet.

Count Steeler
10-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Perhaps Coach Lake will have a new outlook and will be able to contribute to the game plan. It will also be interesting to see who plays at OLB/ILB. Will they move Timmons back inside and play Carter?

HometownGal
10-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Break his arm? :noidea: ;)

BlacknGoldBabe
10-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Break his arm? :noidea: ;)

Body cast?

Godfather
10-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not going to worry about it. I'm pinning my hopes on outscoring them.

The Duke
10-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not going to worry about it. I'm pinning my hopes on outscoring them.

Me too

Im hoping the D can do something new, but Ben and the offense need to do something new against them- Score early and often

only then we'll have a chance

vader29
10-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Just saw this video tonight, love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nesIKo0BHEs