PDA

View Full Version : Goodell explains Troy's fine

Chidi29
10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Courtesy of steelersdepot.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10/roger-goodell-troy-polamalu-cell-phone-fine-greta-van-susteren/

Seems like a reasonable response to me.

tube517
10-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I have no problem with the rule. I think the amount of the fine is the issue most have.

Chidi29
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I have no problem with the rule. I think the amount of the fine is the issue most have.

If I had to guess, the fine is a predetermined number.

tube517
10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Unless I need new contacts/glasses, I don't see it in this document.

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/09/15/2011-nfl-fine-schedule/

ALLD
10-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Goodell is still an idiot.

salamander
10-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Is it just me, or do the little illustrations they use in that "schedule" have the uniforms of the "wrong-doing" player almost look like Steelers uniforms?

Steeldude
10-27-2011, 06:32 PM
didn't a trainer hand him the phone?

Merchant
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
$10,000 seems way to much for that kind of infraction. $1000 I would understand.

Psycho Ward 86
10-27-2011, 09:46 PM
wait so Goodell is saying if Troy goes back to the locker room to make the phone call it's legal? if so, im getting more confused by the second

Chidi29
10-28-2011, 12:28 AM

I see that the second offense fine for personal messages and other equipment violations is a 10K fine.

I'm just guessing but maybe he was fined once before for the cross he wears on his jersey? That would make this his second offense.

BigNastyDefense
10-28-2011, 01:00 AM
I see that the second offense fine for personal messages and other equipment violations is a 10K fine.

I'm just guessing but maybe he was fined once before for the cross he wears on his jersey? That would make this his second offense.

But this fine had nothing to do with his uniform, you're grasping at straws trying to defend Goodell here Chidi.

The truth is, Goodell is a douchenozzle who has no common sense. They didn't HAVE to fine Polamalu here, it was a choice for the NFL to do so. There is no ryme or reason for the fines and suspensions that he hands out. If there isn't a predetermined fine for using a cell phone on that list, then Goodell or one of his cronies pulled it out of their ass. A simple warning to Polamalu and a memo sent to all 32 NFL teams reminding them of this rule would have sufficed, the NFL has gone that route before.

For example, Goodell has gone from suspending Cedric Benson from three games to one for an arrest in which he was found guilty and was actually in jail for, and Benson is a multiple offender when it comes to the personal conduct policy. However, Ben Roethlisberger was never charged with a crime much less spent one second in a jail cell. He ended up being suspended for four games.

What sense does that make?

Chidi29
10-28-2011, 01:04 AM
But this fine had nothing to do with his uniform, you're grasping at straws trying to defend Goodell here Chidi.

The truth is, Goodell is a douchenozzle who has no common sense. They didn't HAVE to fine Polamalu here, it was a choice for the NFL to do so. There is no ryme or reason for the fines and suspensions that he hands out. If there isn't a predetermined fine for using a cell phone on that list, then Goodell or one of his cronies pulled it out of their ass. A simple warning to Polamalu and a memo sent to all 32 NFL teams reminding them of this rule would have sufficed, the NFL has gone that route before.

For example, Goodell has gone from suspending Cedric Benson from three games to one for an arrest in which he was found guilty and was actually in jail for, and Benson is a multiple offender when it comes to the personal conduct policy. However, Ben Roethlisberger was never charged with a crime much less spent one second in a jail cell. He ended up being suspended for four games.

What sense does that make?

But it could be considered an equipment issue.

No, they don't have to fine him but it is against the rules so they should. It isn't hard to avoid the fine. Walk into the tunnel and call his wife then. Problem solved. Troy broke the rule and if the NFL wants to punish him, they have the right to.

I have said repeatedly that Ben's suspension was a mistake. I do not agree with it.

BigNastyDefense
10-28-2011, 01:07 AM
But it could be considered an equipment issue.

No, they don't have to fine him but it is against the rules so they should. It isn't hard to avoid the fine. Walk into the tunnel and call his wife then. Problem solved. Troy broke the rule and if the NFL wants to punish him, they have the right to.

I have said repeatedly that Ben's suspension was a mistake. I do not agree with it.

Please, explain how it's an equipment issue. I don't see how using a cell phone can be considered an equipment issue offense unless he kept the cell phone in his uniform, which he didn't, it was handed to him by a team doctor.

Chidi29
10-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Please, explain how it's an equipment issue. I don't see how using a cell phone can be considered an equipment issue offense unless he kept the cell phone in his uniform, which he didn't, it was handed to him by a team doctor.

That's the cloest I see to what it could fall in. A cell phone is a piece of equipment.

BigNastyDefense
10-28-2011, 01:13 AM
That's the cloest I see to what it could fall in. A cell phone is a piece of equipment.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from. But if that's the basis that Goodell used...then he needs beat in the head with a football helmet.

Chidi29
10-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Okay, I can see where you're coming from. But if that's the basis that Goodell used...then he needs beat in the head with a football helmet.

Even if that wasn't what was cited, the smallest fine amount on there is 2500 for a first offense. And that's basically for being around a fight without doing anything. Everything else is 5000 or higher.

No player is going to get fined 1000 for anything anymore.

BigNastyDefense
10-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Even if that wasn't what was cited, the smallest fine amount on there is 2500 for a first offense. And that's basically for being around a fight without doing anything. Everything else is 5000 or higher.

No player is going to get fined 1000 for anything anymore.

Then they should have just fined him $2500 if that's the smallest fine on the list. It's not like Polamalu was hurting anyone by taking the phone call, his immediate worry was his wife, not if he was breaking on of a bunch of minuscule NFL rules.

I understand having to fine him because, it's a rule. But to fine the guy $10k for what he did is just too much, IMHO. They don't even fine you that much for an illegal chop block, and that can end a season or career.

suitanim
10-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Here is the problem with Goodell: It's the little boy who cried "wolf!". He lacks credibility now, so even if he is right on occasion, who cares?

Texasteel
10-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Agreed. If a head set is part of the equipment, then so is a cell phone. I can't even get mad at Goodell about this. ( OH, My, GOD!!! What did I just say.)
I think the doctor, or the coaches should have told him to step into the tunnel to talk to his wife.

Chidi29
10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Then they should have just fined him $2500 if that's the smallest fine on the list. It's not like Polamalu was hurting anyone by taking the phone call, his immediate worry was his wife, not if he was breaking on of a bunch of minuscule NFL rules.

I understand having to fine him because, it's a rule. But to fine the guy $10k for what he did is just too much, IMHO. They don't even fine you that much for an illegal chop block, and that can end a season or career.

Go click the link tube gave. It breaks down the offenses and the minimum fines based on first or second offense.

The lowest one on the list is 2500 for when a player is involved in a fight but does nothing. He's just in the mix.

For the equipment violation, a minimum fine for a first offense is 5000. For a second, it is 10000.

86WARD
10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
There's a rule in place that Troy broke. Albeit a dumb rule, nonetheless, a rule. $10000 fine? A bit excessive. In the realm if ridiculous fines, this should've been more of a $2500 fine.

I just find it funny that Goodell wants to promote player safety...yet when a player calls his family to say he's safe, he gets a fine. I don't know...

86WARD
10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Btw - not only is this fine amount b/s, but the fact that there is a system in place for first and second offenses and the league DOES NOT follow it is bullshit!

suitanim
10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
You know what I WOULD respect?

Honesty.

How about with Goodell came out and just said it? "I have teams and players I like better than others. I like the Patriots, and I love Tom Brady. I want them to win and will do things with the specific goal in my mind of them winning and Brady doing well and staying healthy. I don't care for the Steelers, and there are many players on that team I simply don't like. I'm not going to do anything in particular to make them lose, but I'm also not going to do them any favors and will probably let my jaundiced view of them effect my decision making in regards to them."

fansince'76
10-28-2011, 11:07 AM
You know what I WOULD respect?

Honesty.

How about with Goodell came out and just said it? "I have teams and players I like better than others. I like the Patriots, and I love Tom Brady. I want them to win and will do things with the specific goal in my mind of them winning and Brady doing well and staying healthy. I don't care for the Steelers, and there are many players on that team I simply don't like. I'm not going to do anything in particular to make them lose, but I'm also not going to do them any favors and will probably let my jaundiced view of them effect my decision making in regards to them."

He essentially said as much during Super Bowl week last February with his idiotic knobslobbing of Vick (Mike is "sincerely trying" and it would be just peachy keen if he won a Super Bowl!) while simultaneously blasting Roethlisberger (I feel no connection with Roethlisberger and not ONE player came to his defense). Asshole.

X-Terminator
10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
He essentially said as much during Super Bowl week last February with his idiotic knobslobbing of Vick (Mike is "sincerely trying" and it would be just peachy keen if he won a Super Bowl!) while simultaneously blasting Roethlisberger (I feel no connection with Roethlisberger and not ONE player came to his defense). Asshole.

That was subtle, but obvious to anyone with one functioning neuron. Unfortunately, that does not apply to opposing team fans or the media. I wish he would be honest and come right out and say it, if for no other reason than he would be in the unemployment line the next day.

SMR
10-29-2011, 08:20 AM
That was subtle, but obvious to anyone with one functioning neuron. Unfortunately, that does not apply to opposing team fans or the media. I wish he would be honest and come right out and say it, if for no other reason than he would be in the unemployment line the next day.

Exactly.

zulater
10-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Good post! :applaudit: