PDA

View Full Version : Reed injury drops Ravens' D to No. 2 in AFC North

LLT
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Reed injury drops Ravens' D to No. 2 in AFC North
by Matt Vinson
July 1, 2010

I expected to get citywide praise for anointing the Ravens as the AFC North’s top offense entering 2010, though it was an obvious decision.

Instead, I got hammered by Cincy fans who were pissed I ranked their Bengals squad third. Oh well.

Today, I focus on the other side of the ball, a tricky task in this defense-oriented division. In 2009, the Ravens, Bengals and Steelers finished third, fourth and fifth in total defense, respectively. The three teams were separated by fewer than five yards a game. How will they shake out in 2010?

No.1 Pittsburgh Steelers: Bookended by James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, the relentless Steelers terrorize quarterbacks with the best of them. And they’ll be stout against the run again thanks to Aaron Smith’s return to the lineup. Troy Polamalu is the X-factor.

The Pro-Bowl safety, a human eraser just like Ed Reed in Baltimore, is looking to bounce back from an injury-riddled 2009. With Polamalu playing in only five games, the Steelers’ secondary was their Achilles’ heel.

If he can stay healthy, the Steelers defense will be elite again. If not, it will be another long season in the Steel City.

No. 2 Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens would have topped the list if not for Reed’s injury issues.
The All-Pro free safety recently said he’s “35 percent” healthy after offseason hip surgery, and it’s unclear if he’ll be ready to go by Week 1. Reed’s potential replacements are adequate, but none can cover up weaknesses like him — and Baltimore has a concerning number of them.

Aging icon Ray Lewis can still stone the run, but he has become almost statuesque in pass coverage. Terrell Suggs skipped most of the OTAs — leading many male fans to reluctantly wonder what Suggs looks like with his shirt off.

A year ago, a sluggish pass rush made things tough for the secondary. Now, with two of the Ravens’ top three corners rehabbing major knee injuries, there is added pressure on Suggs, rookie Sergio Kindle and Co. to chase down QBs.

I’ve learned to never count out this defense, so I’m already Googling recipes for crow in case they prove me wrong.

No. 3 Cincinnati Bengals: Sorry, Cincinnati. I’m sure me saying the Bengals can still be a top-10 defense won’t absolve me of more criticism. Oh well.

There’s plenty to like about the Bengals. Coordinator Mike Zimmer did wonders with this unit. Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph are one heck of a cornerback tandem. I like the physicality of Domata Peko and Ray Maualuga.

The Bengals finally have a tough defense to play against.

The Steelers and Ravens are simply tougher — not to mention more talented, experienced and complete.

No. 4 Cleveland Browns: The rebuilding Browns are clearly dead-last, but there are some signs of life.

They bolstered a budding secondary with rookie corner Joe Haden and veteran Sheldon Brown. They brought in linebacker Scott Fujita from the Super Bowl champs. And they smartly hung on to beefy nose tackle Shaun Rogers.

Will the Browns be good? Of course not. But they will be better, and that’s all they can really hope for
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/blog/2010/07/vensel_reed_injury_drops_raven.html

LLT
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Interesting article from inside Ratbirdville.

BlastFurnace
07-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I think the Steelers do have the best defense...if they stay healthy regardless if Ed Reed is healthy or not.

The Bengals defense is solid all the way around. I wouldn't underestimate them.

steelpride12
07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes I agree with this number one. Our defense can be #1 and be the sack eating machines they were as long as everyone can stay healthy. Troy and Smith both are the two most important and losing them can make you the best to the worst D. If all is healthy this season we will be a force to reckon with.

CantStop85
07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Reed injury drops Ravens' D to No. 2 in AFC North
by Matt Vinson
July 1, 2010

I expected to get citywide praise for anointing the Ravens as the AFC North’s top offense entering 2010, though it was an obvious decision.

Instead, I got hammered by Cincy fans who were pissed I ranked their Bengals squad third. Oh well.

Today, I focus on the other side of the ball, a tricky task in this defense-oriented division. In 2009, the Ravens, Bengals and Steelers finished third, fourth and fifth in total defense, respectively. The three teams were separated by fewer than five yards a game. How will they shake out in 2010?

No.1 Pittsburgh Steelers: Bookended by James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, the relentless Steelers terrorize quarterbacks with the best of them. And they’ll be stout against the run again thanks to Aaron Smith’s return to the lineup. Troy Polamalu is the X-factor.

The Pro-Bowl safety, a human eraser just like Ed Reed in Baltimore, is looking to bounce back from an injury-riddled 2009. With Polamalu playing in only five games, the Steelers’ secondary was their Achilles’ heel.

If he can stay healthy, the Steelers defense will be elite again. If not, it will be another long season in the Steel City.

No. 2 Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens would have topped the list if not for Reed’s injury issues.
The All-Pro free safety recently said he’s “35 percent” healthy after offseason hip surgery, and it’s unclear if he’ll be ready to go by Week 1. Reed’s potential replacements are adequate, but none can cover up weaknesses like him — and Baltimore has a concerning number of them.

Aging icon Ray Lewis can still stone the run, but he has become almost statuesque in pass coverage. Terrell Suggs skipped most of the OTAs — leading many male fans to reluctantly wonder what Suggs looks like with his shirt off.

A year ago, a sluggish pass rush made things tough for the secondary. Now, with two of the Ravens’ top three corners rehabbing major knee injuries, there is added pressure on Suggs, rookie Sergio Kindle and Co. to chase down QBs.

I’ve learned to never count out this defense, so I’m already Googling recipes for crow in case they prove me wrong.

No. 3 Cincinnati Bengals: Sorry, Cincinnati. I’m sure me saying the Bengals can still be a top-10 defense won’t absolve me of more criticism. Oh well.

There’s plenty to like about the Bengals. Coordinator Mike Zimmer did wonders with this unit. Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph are one heck of a cornerback tandem. I like the physicality of Domata Peko and Ray Maualuga.

The Bengals finally have a tough defense to play against.

The Steelers and Ravens are simply tougher — not to mention more talented, experienced and complete.

No. 4 Cleveland Browns: The rebuilding Browns are clearly dead-last, but there are some signs of life.

They bolstered a budding secondary with rookie corner Joe Haden and veteran Sheldon Brown. They brought in linebacker Scott Fujita from the Super Bowl champs. And they smartly hung on to beefy nose tackle Shaun Rogers.

Will the Browns be good? Of course not. But they will be better, and that’s all they can really hope for
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/blog/2010/07/vensel_reed_injury_drops_raven.html

Last year's rankings:
Total Defense (YPG)
1. New York Jets 252.3
2. Green Bay Packers 284.4
3. Baltimore Ravens 300.5
4. Cincinnati Bengals 301.4
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 305.3

You can arrange those 3 in any fashion and it's perfectly conceivable.

hotrodder07
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I think the Steelers do have the best defense...if they stay healthy regardless if Ed Reed is healthy or not.

The Bengals defense is solid all the way around. I wouldn't underestimate them.

I would agree with that. An injury to Ed Reed doesn't change who the best defense is in the division. Heck, we were still only a few yards behind them last season, and that was without two of the most important players on our team. I don't expect much to change over one year.

cold-hard-steel
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Last year's rankings:
Total Defense (YPG)
1. New York Jets 252.3
2. Green Bay Packers 284.4
3. Baltimore Ravens 300.5
4. Cincinnati Bengals 301.4
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 305.3

You can arrange those 3 in any fashion and it's perfectly conceivable.

To me it is interesting that 3 of the top 5 defenses are in the same division. Steelers set the tone for a lot of others to follow.

CantStop85
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I would agree with that. An injury to Ed Reed doesn't change who the best defense is in the division. Heck, we were still only a few yards behind them last season, and that was without two of the most important players on our team. I don't expect much to change over one year.

If you look at the stats from last year and then, for this year, take into account the Ravens having a banged-up Ed Reed, the Bengals having a healthy Antwan Odom and Roy Williams, and the Steelers having a healthy Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith...it looks to now be pretty dead even on paper between the 3.

Burghfan58
07-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Let's hope your rankings mirror the regular season finishing order. :tt03:

Da Steeler Soprano
07-03-2010, 09:19 AM
He also failed to mention the return on McFadden is a HUGE boost to our secondary.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-03-2010, 10:57 AM
We will see if McFadden is a huge boost to the secondary. I really hope so, but am not banking too much on it. I'll really be impressed if guys like Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett can add better coverage to the nickel and dime situations. I think the Bengals have one of the best young CB tandems in the league.

ALLD
07-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Cleveland Browns rebuilding like the Detroit Lions, since 1959.