PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have no chance?

zulater
10-27-2011, 07:31 AM
I haven't seen a single person pick the Steelers for this upcoming game against the Patriots, even diehard Steeler fans are uneasy about our chances. And you know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of opening week of this season, only the Steelers are playing the role of the Ravens to the Patriots- Steelers, if that makes any sense? :lol:

Anyway two things I've found in my years following football. 1. The public and football pundits are wrong way more often than not when there's an overwhelming consensus on a game who's spread is less than a touchdown.

If you went by the way this game is being covered the spread would be at least 9. That it's still within a single score suggests that Vegas fears the big hitters going in strong on the Steelers late.

2. Getting back to opening week. Good pro football teams feed off of being told they can't do something. All offseason the Ravens stewed on their playoff loss to the Steelers, they couldn't beat Big Ben, Woodley says Flacco sucks ( he was of course right :lol: ) etc... The point being the Ravens heard all the blather, kept their mouths shut, and elevated their play to prove everyone wrong, and even more pertinent prove themselves right.

Now we have the Steelers in an identical situation. You don't think they hear how they have no chance to win in their home building? They don't remember Tom Brady's smug comments over the years, him arrogantly rubbing their noses in it every chance he gets?

Personally I think the Steelers are seething and are going to come out focused and ready to put on a great performance. The Steelers have beat themselves as much as the Patriots have beat them over the years, and they know it. I think they know that if they play mistake free football the game will come to them, and the crowd will feed on it. And in the end the crowd noise will unravel the Patriots, and Tom Brady and the Patriots will go home humbled and humiliated.

suitanim
10-27-2011, 08:21 AM
I'll tell you one thing, I am fucking sick to death of all the Marsha Gaydy talk. Really...the dudes a good QB and all, but what's up with the unhealthy obsession? Ninety percent of our failures have been due to our own poor scheming and execution against him. Hell, if you leave holes open in your zone and give the QB too much time to pass, you'll get beat by any NFL QB. I get the antipathy, but we need to own up to our own role in the repeat failures...

I can't really blame the prognosticators either for ganging up on us...we brought that upon ourselves as well.

zulater
10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I'll tell you one thing, I am fucking sick to death of all the Marsha Gaydy talk. Really...the dudes a good QB and all, but what's up with the unhealthy obsession? Ninety percent of our failures have been due to our own poor scheming and execution against him. Hell, if you leave holes open in your zone and give the QB too much time to pass, you'll get beat by any NFL QB. I get the antipathy, but we need to own up to our own role in the repeat failures...

I can't really blame the prognosticators either for ganging up on us...we brought that upon ourselves as well.

I don't either. But the Steelers have pride, and when strong men's pride is challenged they come out swinging.

vasteeler
10-27-2011, 10:38 AM
as badly as i want to say 48-0 steelers, history has shown that the *'s own us. every team has a team that they just cant beat. heres to starting a new chapter and beating the shit out of the *'s:pray:

fansince'76
10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Of course the Steelers have no chance. Don't see why they haven't forfeited already. :coffee:

Mach1
10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Yep, just like the ratbirds it's our superbowl. :rolleyes:

Might as well not even show up.

polamalubeast
10-27-2011, 11:23 AM
The 2007 Giants had no chance against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Same thing for the Jets in 2010 playoffs against the Patriots because they lost 45-3 against the pats in the month of December.

BnG_Hevn
10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Didn't they win the 2001 championship game on a fluke play? On the punt return, where they got stopped on the return, Belicheat cried to the refs about a Steelers' player being out of bounds so they had to re-kick where the Cheats then returned for a TD?

If that player (dont' remember name) doesn't go out of bounds then I think the Steelers were in a good position to win that game, right?

I don't count 2004 playoff game since that is in the height of their cheat'in ways (not that they've stopped mind you). Ben led the Steelers to a trouncing of them, if not for "cheat'in" the Steelers would have beat them again in the playoffs that year.

The "crucial" wins the Pats have had against the Steelers were arguably when they knew what was coming by cheating. I have no clue why the in world Steeler fans are so afraid of the Cheats.

Carolina Steelers
10-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Ive been watching 1st and 10 this morning they like are chances with the way Bens been playing and with our WR corps and their speed against their 32nd rated defense they say we should win this game.

zulater
10-27-2011, 12:12 PM
New England (5-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (5-2)
Game of the Week, obviously. Hard to pick against the Patriots, because of their recently resurgent defense (18.7 points per game allowed in the last three), but I do so because of Pittsburgh's deep passing game. Between them, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown are averaging 17.9 yards per catch. I expect bombs away by Ben Roethlisberger in this one.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/27/week.8/index.html#ixzz1c0G839HP

Oh damn Peter King is picking us! :doh:

Edman
10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
To be fair, the Steelers have a ton of history and intangibles going against them. Brady and New England has whipped them constantly and the games were rarely ever close (Exception: 2005). What out there has given people any sense of confidence in the Steelers to have a chance against Brady and New England? I want our guys to win, but you have to admit they haven't done much to prove they can buck tradition and reverse their fortunes against the Cheats Sunday. They've not only lost to Brady. They make it so easy for him. Not on Defense, but on Offense too. When was the last time Ben played a good game against New England? Last year he and the O-Line made the Pats D look all-world.

The Pats have owned them, and the Steelers are going to be constantly reminded of that until they start proving they belong on the same field as them. The only thing they can do is play the game Sunday.

fansince'76
10-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Of course, if the Steelers do win, the media is going to be ALL OVER their nuts afterward. They historically don't perform well when they start getting hyped by the media...

steel striker
10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Of course the Steelers have no chance. Don't see why they haven't forfeited already. :coffee:

That's pretty much what loud mouth Sapp say everyweek and, I can't wait to see look on these so called experts after the steelers win this game.

O'Malley
10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
When nobody picks the Steelers it always gets my confidence up...

steelpinstripe87
10-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Pfft. Can't we just let the game speak for itself on Sunday? I have my outfit ready, my Terrible Towel, and my specially-ordered Steelers smiley cookies from Eat n Park. Bring. It. On.

BigNastyDefense
10-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Fuck the Patriots, they don't scare me. They aren't some invincible force. If we hit Brady, he'll fold like a fucking newspaper. We should never rush fewer than four players, play some more man-to-man defense, & let Polamalu be himself. I am sure LeBeau has some shit he hasn't used yet, he needs to throw some of that in there, show Brady and Bellicheat some stuff they haven't seen yet.

On offense, bombs away. They have the worst pass defense in the NFL. Ben has had some really good games lately. Let the Young Money Crew burn their secondary all day long.

I never go into any game thinking the Steelers are going to lose.

O'Malley
10-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Fuck the Patriots, they don't scare me. They aren't some invincible force. If we hit Brady, he'll fold like a fucking newspaper. We should never rush fewer than four players, play some more man-to-man defense, & let Polamalu be himself. I am sure LeBeau has some shit he hasn't used yet, he needs to throw some of that in there, show Brady and Bellicheat some stuff they haven't seen yet.

On offense, bombs away. They have the worst pass defense in the NFL. Ben has had some really good games lately. Let the Young Money Crew burn their secondary all day long.

^THIS^

tube517
10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
If that player (dont' remember name) doesn't go out of bounds then I think the Steelers were in a good position to win that game, right?

You remember who our QB was?

HometownGal
10-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Great post and spot on! :applaudit: :thumbsup: :tt03:

Hindes204
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM
In my office weekly NFL poll, 21 out of 25 picked the Steelers to win (including me). I am the only Steeler fan...and there is one Pats* fan. Not that this means a damn thing as the sample size in this poll is tiny, but I just thought it was interesting.

zulater
10-31-2011, 06:47 AM
I haven't seen a single person pick the Steelers for this upcoming game against the Patriots, even diehard Steeler fans are uneasy about our chances. And you know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of opening week of this season, only the Steelers are playing the role of the Ravens to the Patriots- Steelers, if that makes any sense? :lol:

Anyway two things I've found in my years following football. 1. The public and football pundits are wrong way more often than not when there's an overwhelming consensus on a game who's spread is less than a touchdown.

If you went by the way this game is being covered the spread would be at least 9. That it's still within a single score suggests that Vegas fears the big hitters going in strong on the Steelers late.

2. Getting back to opening week. Good pro football teams feed off of being told they can't do something. All offseason the Ravens stewed on their playoff loss to the Steelers, they couldn't beat Big Ben, Woodley says Flacco sucks ( he was of course right :lol: ) etc... The point being the Ravens heard all the blather, kept their mouths shut, and elevated their play to prove everyone wrong, and even more pertinent prove themselves right.

Now we have the Steelers in an identical situation. You don't think they hear how they have no chance to win in their home building? They don't remember Tom Brady's smug comments over the years, him arrogantly rubbing their noses in it every chance he gets?

Personally I think the Steelers are seething and are going to come out focused and ready to put on a great performance. The Steelers have beat themselves as much as the Patriots have beat them over the years, and they know it. I think they know that if they play mistake free football the game will come to them, and the crowd will feed on it. And in the end the crowd noise will unravel the Patriots, and Tom Brady and the Patriots will go home humbled and humiliated.

Ok if I pat myself on the back for this thread now? :heh: :wink02:

tube517
10-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Ok if I pat myself on the back for this thread now? :heh: :wink02:

Keep Ben on the bench :chuckle:

polamalubeast
10-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Ben Roethlisberger and the steelers can't win with no running game

BlastFurnace
10-31-2011, 09:46 AM
I'll eat crow today. I thought they had no chance based upon the history of this rivalry.

tube517
10-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Now that everyone has found the successful way to stop the Pats*, the tables have turned now on Bellicheat. He has no answer for any defensive game plan to slow the Patriots down. We all complained that LeBeau couldn't stop the Pats* now Bellicheat cannot overcome a defensive game plan like what was used yesterday. His QB can't make plays on the run and improvise.