PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Patriots game not as big as next one

stillers4me
10-26-2011, 05:25 AM
The Steelers and New England Patriots will find themselves in a familiar spot Sunday at Heinz Field, playing each other with the AFC's No. 1 seed on the line, but does it really matter in the long run who wins?

Nearly inexplicably, the Steelers have risen from the shambles of a 35-7 opening loss at Baltimore and a .500 record after four games to the second-best record in the conference at 5-2. Typically, the Patriots are tops at 5-1.

And, while the Steelers may be 1-6 against quarterback Tom Brady, they have managed to get around the Patriots without having to go through them in the playoffs to win two Super Bowl titles since New England most recently won a Lombardi Trophy seven seasons ago. They finished second in the AFC to the Patriots last season after losing at home to them 39-26, yet they again reached the Super Bowl and New England did not............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11299/1184982-66.stm

GoSlash27
10-26-2011, 05:49 AM
I'm with Tomlin on this one. This game is our #1 priority because it's this week's game. Anything beyond that isn't worth paying attention to right now.

HometownGal
10-26-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm with Tomlin on this one. This game is our #1 priority because it's this week's game. Anything beyond that isn't worth paying attention to right now.

That's where I'm at on this subject matter. 100% focus and energy on the game at hand this Sunday afternoon.

Hindes204
10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
I think its only human to look ahead. Yes, they will all say that they are focused on the task at hand, the Pats* game. But the Ravens game is much more important at this point...I think everyone realizes that.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
The only game that matters is this week's game. Looking ahead gets you losses.

Edman
10-26-2011, 09:19 AM
I still hold on the belief that if the Steelers met the Patriots again last year, the outcome would've been different. But it's their fault they couldn't beat Mark Sanchez at home. Not ours.

suitanim
10-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I wonder if the Rats were overlooking the Jags?

polamalubeast
10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Brady is always at its best against the steelers. He is 6-1 in his career against the Steelers and it is very painful for me to say.

tube517
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes Ravens game is huge but this is an AFC game, which we need. The wins against Jax and Tenn were just as big as the losses against the Raisins and Texans.

SteelerEmpire
10-26-2011, 11:33 AM
If we win this game, then we have 'No Choice' but to look to the future. If we win it, then we are still in the race in this division, it says were equipped to beat the better teams this year, it gives me some what more confidence the team can beat the better teams in the playoffs and hopefully SB. We had problems beating the "better teams" last year and that lack of magic showed itself in the SB.

suitanim
10-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Well, everyone will SAY this isn't that big of a game, but I've been through enough of these things over the years to know that a good 75% of the people will be ready to jump off the nearest bridge if we lose this game. Goats (in order) will be:

Arians
Ben
LeBeau
Defense is old

And we'll have to hear how terrible this team is for another week.

zulater
10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, everyone will SAY this isn't that big of a game, but I've been through enough of these things over the years to know that a good 75% of the people will be ready to jump off the nearest bridge if we lose this game. Goats (in order) will be:

Arians
Ben
LeBeau
Defense is old

If we lose this game it will be frustrating, but it wont really determine the season. I think many Steelers realize that football is a game of matchups, and the Patriots are just a team we don't match up well against. Or at least when Brady's playing we haven't.

The bigger game is the following week against the Ravens. Win that one, hopefully get the 2 seed for the playoffs, and pray someone takes out the Patriots and you don't have to see them again in January.

86WARD
10-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Bigger game is the Ravens. However, this game is almost as big. This could hold a lot of weight when the playoffs sort out. The only reason the Ravens game is "that" much bigger is because the Steelers laid an egg in the first round and now they're playing catch up. I thoroughly expect the steelers to get throttled in this game and that in itself makes the Ravens game all that much bigger.

Lose to the Ravens, Patriots, Ravens and fall to 5-4...they're getting in deep water there as far as playoffs go...

polamalubeast
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Brady has a QB rating of 104.3 against the steelers.Brady is the biggest steelers killer in steelers history.

fansince'76
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Arians
Ben
LeBeau
Defense is old

I literally laughed out loud when I read this - because it's true. :lol:

polamalubeast
10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
It will be a big win if the steelers win, but it's not a must win.

fansince'76
Brady has a QB rating of 104.3 against the steelers.Brady is the biggest steelers killer in steelers history.

McNair routinely gave us fits too. He was 11-5 against us.

polamalubeast

Arians
Ben
LeBeau
Defense is old

And Woodley is overpay

polamalubeast
10-26-2011, 12:16 PM
McNair routinely gave us fits too.

McNair is probably in the top five, and perhaps even in the top 3.

McNair was for the Steelers that Roethlisberger is for the Ravens.

suitanim
10-26-2011, 12:19 PM
And Woodley is overpay

I'm no longer at liberty to comment about that. (But of course he'll be at the top of someones list)

polamalubeast
10-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Roethlisberger is 9-3 against the Ravens, but 0-2 against McNair in 2006!

McNair finished his career with a record of 12-5 against the steelers.