PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down the Potential 2010 O-line.

LLT
07-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Right Tackle Willie Colon is out for the season with a torn achilles tendon and Rookie Chris Scott will miss at least 3 months with a broken foot. For a team with a reputation of having pretty severe limitations in regards to O-line play, this is not a good way to start the 2010-2011 season.

Granted, those of us who actually follow the Steelers, watch the games, and make some sort of analysis outside of the glib fluff of the ESPN talking heads, know that a good deal of the bad rep the O-line gets is because of Bens propensity to hold on to the ball too long. That being said, its obvious the Steelers front office has not exactly made it a priority to upgrade the offensive trenches with high draft picks until this years drafting of Center Maurkice Pouncy.

So how does the loss of Colon affect the possible 53 man roster?

Last years Offensive line looked like this:
OC Justin Hartwig
OC/OG Doug Legursky
OG/OT Trai Essex
OG/OT Ramon Foster
OG Chris Kemoeatu
OG Kraig Urbik.
OT Max Starks
OT Willie Colon
OT Tony Hills

If we go with 9 linemen again....here are the players from which the final 9 will come from. Which means three of these players will either be cut or sent to the practice squad.

OC Hartwig, Justin
OC/OG Legursky, Doug
OC/OG Pouncey, Maurkice
OG/OT Essex, Trai
OG Kemoeatu, Chris
OG Urbik, Kraig
OG Brooks, Dorian
OG Jolly, Kyle OT
OG/OT Foster, Ramon
OT Hills, Tony
OT Scott, Jonathan
OT Starks, Max

Unless we sign a FA....I think the final roster will be: Starks at LT...Kemoeatu at LG... Hartwig at OC...Pouncy or Foster at RG...Foster or Essex at RT

That leaves 3 more slots. I think OT Scott has an inside track for a slot due to being brought over from Buffalo with the new O-line coach. OG Urbik should be able to hold on as a reserve...and the last slot I think will go to OC/OG Legursky who will be retained to be the back-up OC in 2011 when Hartwig leaves.

That would mean that OT Jolly and OG Brooks will either be cut or place on the PS (along with Chris Scott when he comes back). It also would mean the end of the Tony Hills experiment.

What do you think?

solardave
07-01-2010, 05:46 AM
I agree with what you said except I expect the FO to sign at least one free agent tackle. Either that or we shift some people around. Say Starks to right tackle with Essex or maybe Foster going to left tackle. Wait my heart just skipped a beat. Did I really say that? I never liked Starks at LT because he can't handle speed rushers. I'm not sure the others I mentioned can either. Actually I'm pretty sure they can't which would mean we can't handle speed rushers on both sides of the line. Scrap that idea. We need a FA that can still play at a high level, I don't know if there are any out there. By bringing in Adams I think the FO is looking at all options. Is he the answer? Don't know.So throw me in the pile with the ESPN talking heads.:dizzy::chuckle:

LLT
07-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I agree with what you said except I expect the FO to sign at least one free agent tackle. Either that or we shift some people around. Say Starks to right tackle with Essex or maybe Foster going to left tackle. Wait my heart just skipped a beat. Did I really say that? I never liked Starks at LT because he can't handle speed rushers. I'm not sure the others I mentioned can either. Actually I'm pretty sure they can't which would mean we can't handle speed rushers on both sides of the line. Scrap that idea. We need a FA that can still play at a high level, I don't know if there are any out there. By bringing in Adams I think the FO is looking at all options. Is he the answer? Don't know.So throw me in the pile with the ESPN talking heads.:dizzy::chuckle:

It really is a crap shoot right now....but based on the current players available, I think I am pretty close to what we may see. Now...that being said....IF we grab a FA, I think that either Jonathon Scott or Legursky will be cut. I would guess that it would probably be Legursky, but I hope not. Scott didnt stand out in a pool of very average tackles at Buffalo and Legursky has always impressed me as a try-hard, do whatever it takes player with a little bit of a nasty streak. Besides...I love to see him at FB!!!!

BlastFurnace
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I believe that it will be:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
C: Hartwig
RG: Pouncey
RT: Scott

I'm only putting Scott in there because of his pasts with Kugler. I wish Urbik could slide out there.

I don't see Essex being effective at all at RT. He's barely adequate when he plays anywhere.

Tony Hills needs to be cut. Complete waste of a draft pick and roster spot.

LLT
07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I believe that it will be:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
C: Hartwig
RG: Pouncey
RT: Scott

I'm only putting Scott in there because of his pasts with Kugler. I wish Urbik could slide out there.

I don't see Essex being effective at all at RT. He's barely adequate when he plays anywhere.

Tony Hills needs to be cut. Complete waste of a draft pick and roster spot.

I was at the Colts game when Essex played LT...he was TERRIBLE!!! I hope they dont move him there. Granted he has a little more experience under his belt now but he was putrid at that point in his career. I agree that the relationship with Kugler gives Scott some leverage in at least making the squad, but I was not impressed with him last year with the Bills and doubt if he can beat out Essex/Foster.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-01-2010, 11:17 AM
As of right now, I'm thinking the starting line up looks like

LT: Max Starks
LG: Chris Kemoeatu
C: Justin Hartwig
RG: Maurkice Pouncey
RT: Ramone Foster

Backups
OG/C: Doug Legusrky
OG: Kraig Urbik
OT/OG: Trai Essex
OT: Jon Scott

So theres my nine. Assuming we sign a free agent tackle or Chris Scott is available to play, they would replace Urbik in my mind.

LLT
07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
As of right now, I'm thinking the starting line up looks like

LT: Max Starks
LG: Chris Kemoeatu
C: Justin Hartwig
RG: Maurkice Pouncey
RT: Ramone Foster

Backups
OG/C: Doug Legusrky
OG: Kraig Urbik
OT/OG: Trai Essex
OT: Jon Scott

So theres my nine. Assuming we sign a free agent tackle or Chris Scott is available to play, they would replace Urbik in my mind.

We have the same 9!!!

If we sign a FA... I wonder if Urbik doesnt get the benefit of a doubt due to being a 2nd year player. Thats why I am worried about the future of Legursky.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
We have the same 9!!!

If we sign a FA... I wonder if Urbik doesnt get the benefit of a doubt due to being a 2nd year player. Thats why I am worried about the future of Legursky.

I think Legursky is more valuable than Urbik at this point. If we do bring a guy in though, you are right. Legursky and Urbik we be battling for the final roster spot most likely. Urbik really helped his stock this offseason by playing some center. Versatility seems to be real important, in our bench guys, from the eyes of the coaching staff. Still I think, from what little I have seen from Urbik, that Legursky is just the better player.

LLT
07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I think Legursky is more valuable than Urbik at this point. If we do bring a guy in though, you are right. Legursky and Urbik we be battling for the final roster spot most likely. Urbik really helped his stock this offseason by playing some center. Versatility seems to be real important, in our bench guys, from the eyes of the coaching staff. Still I think, from what little I have seen from Urbik, that Legursky is just the better player.

Totally agree about Legursky...("some" might think I am a little biased about him though) :thumbsup:

Steely McSmash
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd have to agree on those 9 guys at the moment. Can't wait till camp to see who stands out. I'd love a pleasant surprise from Tony Hills or Urbik.

Chidi29
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Chris Scott is IR material. Bring him back next year and go from there.

I do wonder why teams don't use the PUP list more often. Maybe it's just me, but it seems rare that a player gets put on it.

ALLD
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Pouncey is no better than a G right now according to Max Starks on Sirius NFL radio today in an interview. He needs to build his strength right now, but he looks good and can fall back on being surrounded by a T & C. Next year he might play at C as soon as he masters the playbook and reading defenses.