PDA

View Full Version : Powhatan’s own Kyle Jolly

LLT
07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Powhatan’s own Kyle Jolly
Published: June 30, 2010
By Richard Carrier

Admitting that we vicariously share the achievements of our athletes, don’t fail to Google the player roster for the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Look for number 67, a rookie offensive tackle. Powhatan’s own Kyle Jolly is on the official roster of the Steelers.

Sure, as an undrafted free agent on the current 80-man roster, it’s a stretch that he will stay there, but no one can take away the fact he made it.

I considered calling him to check in to see how he was doing and what the experience was like (I would really love to know, but realized he didn’t need even the smallest distraction).
But I did contact his dad, Eric, who has always been very forth-coming and he willingly provided some insights.

The OTA’s (Official Team Activities) are a test of learning the extensive playbook and concentration during practices and, according to Mr. Jolly via Kyle, he has not missed any assignments.

“[That’s] a pretty substantial feat given the rapid pace they introduced the offense,” Mr. Jolly said. But that was pretty much Kyle’s signature as a player at the University of North Carolina: smart, steady and fundamentally sound.

It is interesting that survival has also become a team effort. Kyle and his roommate, Highland Springs’ (6’2”, 306 pound guard out of James Madison University) Dorian Brooks work together to learn the playbook. He has also learned the consequences of less-than-stellar performance.

Another roommate, a rookie center from Vanderbuilt, has been cut.

And then there is the rubbing-shoulders-with-the-super-stars syndrome.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger invited all of the offensive lineman to his home (I do not know the time-frame as it relates to his recent legal problems, but it would almost have to be post-suspension by the Commissioner) with a large pool and swim-up bar and multiple sports cars in the driveway.

In the end, though, Kyle remains pragmatic, according to his Dad and “he takes things as they come.”

Next for Kyle is summer camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania and the gradual paring down of the roster to 53 players.

http://www.powhatantoday.com/index.php/sports/article/a-break-for-the-beautiful-game/23115/

Galax Steeler
07-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Nice read LLT and good luck to Jolly.

solardave
07-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Good luck to him spells good luck for us. I'd love to see this guy be a diamond in the ruff. We could all use some luck right about now.

Chidi29
07-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I know one well-respected person on another board who spends as much time evaluating players as anyone really liked Jolly coming into the draft and was elated to see that we had signed him.

Certainly has a shot to become the next Stapleton, Legursky, or Foster.

Devilsdancefloor
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Lets hope he is a diamond in the rough since he is a tackle he could make the PS or 53 man roster. Good luck mr jolly

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice read, but watching him play in college and the postseason evaluations, he really looks heavy footed and didnt move well enough to be anything but a long term project at RT. A longshot IMO..........I think Mike Tepper from Cal was a better prospect at RT and he too wasnt that agile.