PDA

View Full Version : Pay Wallace at the end of the season

wallacebeast
10-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't care if we have to pay him $130-150 Million over a long period, like Larry Fitzgerald money, I don't care, pay him, he's played for it.

Could go down as the best receiver in Steelers history if... he continues to play the way he does, still needs to have a few more catches a game and do a little bit more, he might even have a 2K receiving season one day.

stillers4me
10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Mike? Is that you?

polamalubeast
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
c'mon,I love Wallace,but not for 150 millions!

steeldevil
10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
No way the Steelers pay him that much.

7willBheaven
10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Hahaha...

While I want him to stay like most others....one he isnt worth that kind of money...and two the Steelers will NEVER pay him that kind of him. End of story.

salamander
10-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Seriously?

BigNastyDefense
10-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Seriously?

He's going to get a nice contract from the Steelers, but he's not worth that type of money. No way he's getting a contract larger than what Big Ben got.

And there's little chance he's gone after this season, he's a restricted free agent so we have the right of first refusal. Only way he goes somewhere is if someone puts a poison pill clause in the contract.

43Hitman
10-24-2011, 08:44 PM
We may have to let Mendy walk to keep Wallace. Is that okay with Steeler Nation?

JayC
10-24-2011, 09:26 PM
would it be smarter to pay him before or after desean jackson gets paid?

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
would it be smarter to pay him before or after desean jackson gets paid?

before most definitely

steeldevil
10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
We may have to let Mendy walk to keep Wallace. Is that okay with Steeler Nation?

Most definitely. In today's NFL and with an elite QB, WRs are more valuable than RBs.

wallacebeast
10-24-2011, 11:11 PM
times have changed in the nfl, so have contracts, we cant expect them to stay around for mid-value, you give him the whole value.

mendenhalls overrated, redman should be starting, no comparison, redman runs 3x better behind the same o-line, mendenhalls a pussy, he's an ok player, would probably rate him 7/10, in comparison whilst someone like timmons in 2010 as a 8/10, woodley as a 9/10 and polamalu as a 10/10.

BigNastyDefense
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
times have changed in the nfl, so have contracts, we cant expect them to stay around for mid-value, you give him the whole value.

mendenhalls overrated, redman should be starting, no comparison, redman runs 3x better behind the same o-line, mendenhalls a pussy, he's an ok player, would probably rate him 7/10, in comparison whilst someone like timmons in 2010 as a 8/10, woodley as a 9/10 and polamalu as a 10/10.

Wallace is a beast, but a contract larger than what we gave to our two time SB champion franchise QB? Never going to happen. Especially with this new CBA with a salary cap as low as it will be over the next bunch of yards.

Wallace is going to get a nice contract. He's going to probably get the biggest contract a Steelers WR has ever got. But 130-150 million dollars over seven years? That is never going to happen.

As for getting rid of Mendenhall to help create cap space? I wouldn't argue with it. He's been very good before, but we can win without him.

GodfatherofSoul
10-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Our chance to sign Wallace was last year. Way too many teams have seen what he's got now. Unless there's some major restructuring by other players, I don't think we're going to give Wallace what'll surely be top-contract dollar.

43Hitman
10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
I'd be willing to part with Smith, Farrior, Hampton, Mendy, and Ward to make room for Wallace's contract. Call me crazy, but I'd do that in a second.

BigNastyDefense
10-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Our chance to sign Wallace was last year. Way too many teams have seen what he's got now. Unless there's some major restructuring by other players, I don't think we're going to give Wallace what'll surely be top-contract dollar.

Aaron Smith will be off of the books next season, if he doesn't retire the Steelers will release him. Hampton might end up retiring, if so he's off the books. If the Steelers were to win the Super Bowl this season, then Ward retires and he too would be off of the books.

Also, Wallace is only a restricted free agent, so we have the right of first refusal for any contract offered to him.

And, I think Wallace really does enjoy playing in Pittsburgh and with Big Ben. If winning is as important to him as many people think it is, he'll take less money to stay in Pittsburgh rather than take a ton of money to play on a garbage team that has a ton of cap space but crap on offense.

fansince'76
10-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Also, Wallace is only a restricted free agent, so we have the right of first refusal for any contract offered to him.

Yep. Put a first round tender on Wallace and it'll cost someone PLENTY to get him away from us. I think we'll be able to keep him through next year, anyway.

GodfatherofSoul
10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Yep. Put a first round tender on Wallace and it'll cost someone PLENTY to get him away from us. I think we'll be able to keep him through next year, anyway.

Are you talking about a franchise tag? Not sure what 1st round tender is. If it's franchise tag, then we'd have to give him top 5 WR contract unless that changed with the last NFLPA deal.

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2011, 12:55 AM

nah, not even gonna come close to that. We've locked up a shit ton of young players the last 3 seasons, and a bunch of the kids up in line for a new contract could get held down easily with tender offers or franchise tags if needed.

fansince'76
10-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Are you talking about a franchise tag? Not sure what 1st round tender is. If it's franchise tag, then we'd have to give him top 5 WR contract unless that changed with the last NFLPA deal.

Not quite. As an RFA, the Steelers can make Wallace a "first round qualifying offer," in other words a first round tender. If another team comes along and exceeds that offer, and the Steelers decide not to match the other team's offer, the Steelers will get a first round draft pick from the other team as compensation if they decide to let Wallace walk for the higher offer. That's the way it was under the old CBA, anyway - I'm not sure if the rules for RFAs changed with the new CBA or not, though.

Here's a pretty good explanation (http://ocdomer.blogspot.com/2010/03/nfl-restricted-free-agent-tender-levels.html) of it:

A restricted free agent can negotiate a new contract with any interested team, but his old team can maintain a "right of refusal" to re-sign the player by matching the other team's written offer, or the old team may be entitled to compensation in the form of draft choices if they choose not to match the other team's written offer. In order to preserve these "rights of first refusal" and the right to draft choice compensation, the player's old team must first "tender" to the restricted free agent a qualifying offer. The NFL's collective bargaining agreement (CBA) sets the salary levels a team's tender offer must meet in order to trigger the various levels of draft choice compensation. The higher the salary level in the tendered offer, the more compensation a team is entitled to receive from another team who signs the player away from them.

Austin87
10-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Wallace needs to be paid, just not to some rediculous contract. We always sign players cheaper to what they are worth.

Count Steeler
10-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Don't think they will let him go. Ben may have something to say about it as well.

The Duke
10-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Don't know about the type of contract he'll get, but I do hope he is smart enough to realize he could easily end up on a losing team, probably with a QB that cant even throw him the ball like Ben

I'm sure Hines will take care of that

HometownGal
10-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Wallace is going to want a bundle and the way he is playing thus far this season, he is going to earn that big fat payday. I hope the FO and MW can work out a long term deal that is very satisfactory to both sides. :pray: I'd really hate to lose him.

GBMelBlount
10-25-2011, 06:46 AM
I never saw Wallaces bold goal of a 2,000 yard season as ridiculous. He did not say it with arrogance or conceit but with confidence and conviction....and he is working his ass off to make it happen....I have a boat load of respect for Wallace....he is very special.

Bluecoat96
10-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I've said in other threads before, but I believe we will be ok with paying him a good contract. As revenues go up, and you know they will, the salary cap will rise as well, giving us more room for bigger contracts like Wallace's future contract. The rising salary cap will help with our current larger contracts like Woodley's and Timmons' contract as well.

steel9guy
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I wish there was a rule in the NFL where you could go over the cap to pay your drafted and raised up players. That would really benefit the NFL in my opinion. It's situations like Wallaces that make football annoying. All I do is worry about contracts year round and it takes the enjoyment out of watching football lol. If we do sign Wallace then I will be worried about someone else. That being said. PAY THE MAN!

GodfatherofSoul
10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I wish there was a rule in the NFL where you could go over the cap to pay your drafted and raised up players. That would really benefit the NFL in my opinion. It's situations like Wallaces that make football annoying. All I do is worry about contracts year round and it takes the enjoyment out of watching football lol. If we do sign Wallace then I will be worried about someone else. That being said. PAY THE MAN!

Probably will never happen since new players aren't even in the union and vets seem to resent how big rookie contracts are. And, ownership wants to keep their outlays down as well so neither side would be advocating. I'd love to see some flexibility in the cap as well though. Like for signing players when an expensive star goes on IR.

ALLD
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
To be honest, if I was another team's GM I would give up a 1st round pick for Wallace- he is a lock.

smokin3000gt
10-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I say we pay him A MILLION BAJILLION DOLLARS!!!

BigNastyDefense
10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
To be honest, if I was another team's GM I would give up a 1st round pick for Wallace- he is a lock.

And we'd still have the option to match the contract offer. If we do, he stays. If we don't we have two first round picks.

Would I prefer to keep Wallace a Steeler? Oh hell yeah I would, especially with Ward retiring by the end of the 2013 season. But a second first rounder could also be very valuable by either letting is draft a second player of first round quality or trade up if we focus in on one player.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Let's get a ring on Wallace's finger then we'll talk..

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
And we'd still have the option to match the contract offer. If we do, he stays. If we don't we have two first round picks.

Omg. Remember a couple years back when Dan Snyder offered the Bengals 2 1st round picks for an aging Chad Ochocinco? Id pull the trigger on that even if it was on Wallace!

BigNastyDefense
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Omg. Remember a couple years back when Dan Snyder offered the Bengals 2 1st round picks for an aging Chad Ochocinco? Id pull the trigger on that even if it was on Wallace!

Yes, I do, and that was back when he was still a decent receiver!

Instead a few years later, Mike Brown traded him for a single mid round pick.

And I'd consider that deal, especially with it being two Redskins first rounders, almost guaranteed to be a top 10 pick both years!

steelreserve
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM

Well, Smith is probably "restructuring" from $6M to $0 next year, so there's our cap room.

Honestly, there's no chance in hell we let go of Wallace at any price. He's too good and only keeps getting better. He's the first receiver we've had in a long time that actually changes the whole game when he's in.

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Let's get a ring on Wallace's finger then we'll talk..

yeah. not relevant.