PDA

View Full Version : Short passes get Steelers' offense going

stillers4me
10-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Give credit to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians on the Steelers' first possession of the game. He called for a couple of short passes to get Ben Roethlisberger going, and Arians' plays sometimes work when the Steelers actually, you know, execute. A swing pass to Antonio Brown netted 16 yards as the second-year man picked up several key blocks. The Steelers later fooled the Cardinals on Roethlisberger's 12-yard touchdown pass to Heath Miller when a blown coverage by outside linebacker Clark Haggans left Miller wide open...............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763487.html

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
short passing success...just like against the titans. that ended up with what, oh 5 TD's i think? The cardinals were blitzing the hell out of us, and no doubt the patriots will try the same. We cant let go of the short passing game if we want to keep playing like this offensively.

suitanim
10-24-2011, 04:29 PM
No! There can NEVER be credit given to Arians!

NEVER!

He sucks and should be fired. That is all.

tube517
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM

NEVER!

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2011, 05:02 PM

NEVER!

i personally cant wait til his contract is over

Count Steeler
10-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Don't think he will stay on past this year. He is only under a 1 year contract. Lebeau is the same. Would hate to see both leave in the same year, but that looks to be the case, especially if we win the big show.

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Don't think he will stay on past this year. He is only under a 1 year contract.

Yeah i know, THANK GOD. It's soooo easy to hit the Bruce Arians bandwagon when he's doing well, and i find it hilarious to see everyone jump on and off of it in alternating weeks. Not going to buy into it. The Bruce Arians Offense = Failure in the redzone + Failure in short yardage. The only difference is, in the last two years, we've become one of the best teams in the league in short yardage, now the new formula is Inconsistency in the redzone + tons of yardage that put as much up as they should on the scoreboard

The Duke
10-24-2011, 06:46 PM

you'll be saying the same about the next guy, because Fichtner (or whoever else they promote) will run pretty much the same offense, and will have learned everything they know from Arians. In Fichtner's case 5+ years of following Arians

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
you'll be saying the same about the next guy, because Fichtner (or whoever else they promote) will run pretty much the same offense, and will have learned everything they know from Arians. In Fichtner's case 5+ years of following Arians

We dont know that it's going to be a promotion, and we definitely dont know that the successor is going to run this offense the same way Arians does.

The Duke
10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
We dont know that it's going to be a promotion, and we definitely dont know that the successor is going to run this offense the same way Arians does.

Just going by the most likely scenario. The steelers like consistency, and with Ben so comfortable with Arians they won't want to change that.

Mularkey Wiz and Arians were all on the team for a while before ascending to OC. Fichter has only been going up the ranks since been hired in 07

Steeldude
10-24-2011, 11:34 PM

ditto.

fansince'76
10-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Won't matter - when the offense fails to magically start scoring 70 points a game, the next OC will be considered by many to be as big of a bonehead as Arians, if not an even bigger one. Book it.

Craic
10-25-2011, 02:38 AM
All I know is,

I'll really tick if we go back to the "Three yards and a cloud of mediocrity" football that we saw most of the last two decades before Ben.
But wait... we got to the AFCCG 5 times!
Yep, and lost, because we couldn't drive the ball in a two minute offense to win the game--because we neither had the personnel for it, nor did we have the coaching/playing talent for it.

I'd much rather be coming from behind in the last two minutes for a TD to win, then watching our defense cocoon and let some other team drive like they hadn't done for 55 minutes to defeat us. Because frankly, I have a thousand times more confidence in my offense to play for 10 minutes, then I do in my defense to play for 60 minutes, and that's about what it amounts to.

suitanim
10-25-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm not aware of any "Arians Bandwagon". It's pretty much people who hate him, always have, and always will, and the rest of us. I've been an ardent supporter from day one. I'm all for utilizing the invention of the forward pass...

There will come a day when Arians is gone that some of the haters will actually hearken back to "The good ole days" when the Steelers were able to score 30 points a game. It always happens. Whiz was hated. Gailey was hated worse. But they are looked back upon with fondness now because there is no hate like the hate of the PRESENT Steelers OC.

zulater
10-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm not aware of any "Arians Bandwagon". It's pretty much people who hate him, always have, and always will, and the rest of us. I've been an ardent supporter from day one. I'm all for utilizing the invention of the forward pass...

There will come a day when Arians is gone that some of the haters will actually hearken back to "The good ole days" when the Steelers were able to score 30 points a game. It always happens. Whiz was hated. Gailey was hated worse. But they are looked back upon with fondness now because there is no hate like the hate of the PRESENT Steelers OC.

I used to hear the same sort of thing when I offered criticism of Kordell Stewart back in the day. And while I'm not trying to make the case that Arians is to OC's what Kordell was to qb's, I believe he was a B- hire, and that he's performed marginally better than what my expectations were. I still think Ben can take his game up a notch with an A+ hire. But I'm not sure the Steelers will go all in on their next OC as I would like? \

They know their business better than I do, so whatever they decide I'm sure will work out allright ( just as Arains has) But there's still a part of me that thinks Ben could blow the league away if he had the right guy setting the bar for him.

suitanim
10-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Everyone knew Kordell was a tier-two QB. Those were the days when the Steelers pumped money into every position BUT QB. Now they save money along the OL. I've never heard of a team scrimping in the assistant coach hiring. I don't really understand what the purpose would be...unless we are dragging back out the old "Rooneys are cheap" argument.

zulater
10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Everyone knew Kordell was a tier-two QB. Those were the days when the Steelers pumped money into every position BUT QB. Now they save money along the OL. I've never heard of a team scrimping in the assistant coach hiring. I don't really understand what the purpose would be...unless we are dragging back out the old "Rooneys are cheap" argument.

Do you remember Tomlin's first special teams coach? It was simply a bad hire, perhaps it was because of the timing of Tomlin's hire they just didn't have a great list of available assistants to work with.? And no I'm not comparing Arians to that guy. ( can't remember his name, just that he sucked and was a failure at his previous job) Just pointing out that even the best organizations don't always make the best hire. There's more than one factor at work. The point is I think Arians was a decent hire, not a great one. I think he's done a good job, but I still believe that there's better to be had out there.

Of course there's also worse out there no doubt. Actually maybe you could even say B.A. was the right hire at the time? :noidea: . But now I believe Ben needs to hear a different voice to climb those final few steps to undisputed greatness.

But then again I could be wrong? :lol:

Craic
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
But then again I could be wrong? :lol:

I'm married. I'm wrong all the time!

:behindsofa: