PDA

View Full Version : Steelers aim to do it for Aaron.

zulater
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
GLENDALE, Ariz. — It was Saturday morning when the Steelers' players got word that Aaron Smith, one of the NFL's great defensive ends and a franchise fixture, was placed on injured reserve because of a neck injury. His season was done. Probably his career, too.

Brett Keisel, Smith's bookend these past few years, recalled a group of defensive players sitting with Smith in Pittsburgh soon afterward. They discussed Smith's injury, his future, his feelings about the franchise ... followed by a long silence.

Keisel broke it: "Are you going to come with us?"

For the game Sunday, he meant.

Smith smiled and replied: "Well, what else am I going to do? Am I going to sit around and mope? No, I'm coming."

The players exalted. And I got the distinct feeling that emotion carried into the Steelers' 32-20 throttling of the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. Smith was on the team plane, in the locker room before the game and on the sideline throughout, offering advice, patting rumps, chipping in any way that a guy with a bad neck could.

Smith's neck — which coach Mike Tomlin revealed yesterday had hurt him for weeks — is now so painful it will require surgery. That made the decision for the team and the player unavoidable.

But the story won't end there: Keisel and several other players said yesterday they plan to dedicate the 2011 season to Smith.

Read more: Kovacevic: Steelers aim to do it for Aaron - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/s_763499.html#ixzz1bhT9ZR00

I know we have several threads already dedicated to Aaron, but I thought this story deserved to stand alone.

Also I suppose we now know why Aaron didn't look like Aaron in the first few games.

Bluecoat96
10-24-2011, 07:35 AM
This stinks. You just wish all these great Steelers could have an ending just like the Bus did when he retired.

zulater
10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Saw Bill Cowher at a restaurant Saturday night in Manhattan. He raved about Aaron Smith, who was placed on IR over the weekend. Just raved. Said Smith was the only lineman they could keep in on nickel downs because he could play the run and pass with equal skill and never made a mental error. He'll be missed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/24/Week7/index.html#ixzz1bis2vZqb

86WARD
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Whatever works man...whatever works...