PDA

View Full Version : William Gay Finally Coming into his own

katmandu
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Couple good plays today by Gay.... He's having a real good season so far IMHO.

Merchant
10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Had a better day than Ike actually. Let's see if Gay redeems himself against the Patriots next week.

The Duke
10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Had a better day than Ike actually. Let's see if Gay redeems himself against the Patriots next week.

As long as LeBeau doesn't put him on Gronkoski again....

He won't keep Welker in check either, almost nobody can

Chidi29
10-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Gay also got to cover Andre Roberts. Not Larry Fitzgerald.

steel striker
10-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Gay has been playing better but, next week is the real test against the cheats. We need to create some take aways somehow someway.

polamalubeast
10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
next week is the real test

steelreserve
10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
The whole key next week is whether or not we play the sit-back and force Troy to play conservatively in coverage most of the time. We know that doesn't work, but we always seem to do it anyway vs. the Patriots. Might as well try to be aggressive and try to force the game to our style, like we do against every other team in the NFL.

SteelerFanInStl
10-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I'll withhold judgment until after next week.

SteelerEmpire
10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I think the "Coach Lake" effect is finally coming into play as these guys didn't have a chance for Lake to teach them due to the lockout... NO WAY these guys (DB's) remain average (or below avg.) if 1) their teachable 2) want to learn and 3) Lake is teaching them everything he knows.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Timmons better be on either Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez for a large portion of the game. With Timmons doing that the majority of the time, we should be able to kind of neutralize one or the other, but we'll have to compensate for Timmons being in coverage so much. The linebackers better step it up when they blitz against New England.

JayC
10-23-2011, 10:30 PM
no complaints here. but wait i'll until hernandez, gronkowski, welker and company before any praise

Edman
10-23-2011, 10:43 PM
The Steelers have been quietly boasting a top-ranked pass D this year. We'll see if it's for real with the famed Pats O coming to town. Now we'll really see if there is a real difference from last year's mediocre unit. Taylor, Lewis, and Gay better be ready to go.

The Patriots have been doing most of their damage this year with Gronkowski and Hernandez and Welker in the slot. They're not a deep bomb passing team in the slightest. They're built to eat up cushions. Lebeau better not play his passive Defense, because it has never worked against the Pats.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Lebeau better not play his passive Defense, because it has never worked against the Pats.

The Ravens and the Ryan brothers are the only ones who have been able to take care of business against the Patriots in recent years. If our defensive backs are up to the challenge, that's exactly what we have to do. That's how the Jets beat the Patriots in the playoffs last year after a 45-3 beatdown in the regular season, same deal with Rob Ryan blowing them out with the Browns and almost beating them with the Cowboys right now (would have if they werent playing like conservative idiots the entire 4th quarter).

fansince'76
10-24-2011, 12:08 AM
The Patriots have been doing most of their damage this year with Gronkowski and Hernandez and Welker in the slot. They're not a deep bomb passing team in the slightest. They're built to eat up cushions. Lebeau better not play his passive Defense, because it has never worked against the Pats.

Yep. I'd rather they take the chance of possibly getting beat downfield while being aggressive rather than play the usual 10-yard cushion crap as Brady plays catch with his receivers underneath all night.

Edman
10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
And another thing the Pats like to do is keep their RB's in the backfield making it look like they're in there blocking. They're not in there blocking and they never will. Woodhead or whoever else will sneak out of the backfield where Brady can dump it off to them for an easy gain.

I agree that I'd rather the Steelers risk getting burned by a big play than get eaten up underneath all night. Make the Pats earn their yards, don't give it to them.

The stuff from Ike Taylor today, I really liked that. I liked what he was trying to do, but he was getting too close to the Cards recievers for comfort for flags to be thrown. You know we can't have that in the National Goodell League.

suitanim
10-24-2011, 05:34 AM
I agree about Ike today. I don't think he had a bad game at all. He gave up that one pass to Fitz today, but what more could he have done to cover him better? Larry is just going to make some plays no matter what.

Gay HAS looked better this year. We'll find out next week how much better he really is. We need to play more man-to-man, less zone (which Brady has destroyed in the past), and blitz a lot. Gay will be responsible to lock-down the #2. We will see what he's made of.

Count Steeler
10-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Seven games in now. Are we pretenders or contenders? Next 2 weeks will answer a lot of questions. Any return date for Harrison?

Here we go Steelers!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
EXACTLY!!

For those who think he had a better game than Ike Taylor, maybe they should consider your statement.

Chidi29
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Gay isn't playing any different as he was last year. He hasn't turned into Nnamdi Asomugha as a lockdown corner or Asante Samuel and has 5 INTs on the year.

It's only because the pass defense numbers look good does Gay get called as an improving player and we throw a blanket statement to the secondary.

tube517
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Gay isn't playing any different as he was last year. He hasn't turned into Nnamdi Asomugha as a lockdown corner or Asante Samuel and has 5 INTs on the year.

It's only because the pass defense numbers look good does Gay get called as an improving player and we throw a blanket statement to the secondary.

What about his play in 2009? He certainly doesn't look as bad as he did in 2009, when he started. Otherwise, the Steelers would not have brought back McFadden and pushed him back to the nickel.

Chidi29
10-24-2011, 10:45 AM
What about his play in 2009? He certainly doesn't look as bad as he did in 2009, when he started. Otherwise, the Steelers would not have brought back McFadden and pushed him back to the nickel.

That's why I didn't say 2009.

But everyone killed Gay last year and he isn't playing differently than he is now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Lets just say that Gay isnt playing any different than last year. I think he is looking better because he has been playing against QB's like

Kolb
Gabbert
Hasselback
Painter
Collins
Shaub
Tarvarias Jackson
Flacco

Not exactly the elite of the NFL. but, I think he is either playing closer to the WR or breaking on balls better. At least he is tackling guys for little or no gain on receptions, but who was he covering yesterday??? Andre Roberts??

Chidi29
10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
When I talk about Gay and any of our CBs not named Ike Taylor, I barely look at receptions allowed/yards given up. Because so much of that is a product of our off and zone coverage that you can't always "blame" a player for allowing a catch. Sometimes the offense is just taking what the defense is giving them (quick slant for example vs off coverage) or makes a good play (I won't be critical of Ike Taylor from yesterday because Fitzgerald is a monster).

I still see Gay as a great open field tackler, physical player, and willing to play the run. That has never changed and the reason why he continues to play as many snaps as he does.

Edman
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Willie Gay was mediocre at Nickel Corner last year, and was pretty bad playing opposite Ike in 2009. He's back in the same position he was in 2009 and he isn't getting embarrassed in one way or another week after week.

No one is saying he's become a stud, but I haven't been hearing his name called on blown coverages resulting in big plays and missed tackles at times this year. So yes, he has improved.

If it weren't for T.J Douche being a choke artist and dropping a ball that hit him in the chest in the Baltimore playoff game, Gay would be known for dropping the ball giving the Ravens new life instead of ending the game.

86WARD
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
We'll see Sunday. Big test for that "new and improved" pass D...

SteelerEmpire
10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
no complaints here. but wait i'll until hernandez, gronkowski, welker and company before any praise

Well I think Gay did a pretty good job... unless I missed something... ? Gay passes test against Brady ! The Lake era is here !

Edman
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
It's real. Willie Gay is the real deal this year. Did an excellent job yesterday.

The "Lake" Effect.

SteelerFanInStl
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
It appears that the key was getting McFadden off the field. :lol:

Steeldude
10-31-2011, 02:50 PM
as i have always stated, gay is better than mcfadden.

Steeldude
10-31-2011, 02:52 PM

some of that has to do with lebeau admitting he played a very passive defense and also polamalu being out

Steeldude
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM

true, but at least it's not mcfadden covering roberts

tube517
10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
some of that has to do with lebeau admitting he played a very passive defense and also polamalu being out

I think the Lake effect is helping. Yeah, that was a passive defense but he was still not good enough to prevent the (now wasted) re-signing of BMac.

Psycho Ward 86
10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
I think the Lake effect is helping. Yeah, that was a passive defense but he was still not good enough to prevent the (now wasted) re-signing of BMac.

what's your definition of passive? Because all i saw was our line getting consistent pressure and our DB's railing everybody at the line of scrimmage

tube517
10-31-2011, 08:01 PM
what's your definition of passive? Because all i saw was our line getting consistent pressure and our DB's railing everybody at the line of scrimmage

We were talking about 2009, not yesterday's game.

Godfather
10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I need to learn to never question the coaches.

If it were up to the fans, Gay would have been run out of town a long time ago.

Count Steeler
10-31-2011, 08:31 PM

Depends on the coach. Under Horton, not doing so hot. Lake effect, much improved. I think Gay and Taylor are the prime exhibits for the Lake effect. Their games have thrived and escalated under Carnell's watch. The young DBs looked VERY promising yesterday. I can just imagine what our practices are like, young desperate receivers fighting for jobs against young desperate DBs.

If the O Line can stay healthy and have some continuity, we are going to be very dangerous come January.

Psycho Ward 86
10-31-2011, 08:32 PM
We were talking about 2009, not yesterday's game.

oh my bad :)

Devilsdancefloor
10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
gay taylor and lewis are all playing well Allen even played well when he was in. in the big nickel mundy is play well as well. i give coach lake all the credit he is doing a damn good job

Chidi29
10-31-2011, 09:04 PM
true, but at least it's not mcfadden covering roberts

I still really like McFadden.

I like all our DBs, really.

katmandu
11-01-2011, 09:24 AM
gay taylor and lewis are all playing well Allen even played well when he was in. in the big nickel mundy is play well as well. i give coach lake all the credit he is doing a damn good jobX2.

I really hope this secondary stays "clicking" like it is right now! :tt02:

zulater
11-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I still really like McFadden.

I like all our DBs, really.

Really? Why?

I guess he's ok in run support, but he's substandard in zone and absolutely worthless in man on man coverage. My guess McFadden will not be in the NFL next season, and I'm willing to lay odds on it.

Chidi29
11-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Really? Why?

I guess he's ok in run support, but he's substandard in zone and absolutely worthless in man on man coverage. My guess McFadden will not be in the NFL next season, and I'm willing to lay odds on it.

He's awesome versus the run and is a physical willing tackler, qualities I see in all our CBs.

zulater
11-01-2011, 11:44 AM
He's awesome versus the run and is a physical willing tackler, qualities I see in all our CBs.

Move him to linebacker then, we'll be needing some in the next couple weeks.

Seriously McFadden can't cover well enough to be an NFL cornerback anymore. At his best (05-08) he was just ok, but age and injuries have sapped him of his mediocre best, and now he's completely below the line as far as cover skills go.

Chidi29
11-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Seriously McFadden can't cover well enough to be an NFL cornerback anymore. At his best (05-08) he was just ok, but age and injuries have sapped him of his mediocre best, and now he's completely below the line as far as cover skills go.

I wouldn't agree with that. Especially in this zone scheme where we play a lot of Cover 3 that doesn't take an Asomugha caliber corner to play. I didn't see McFadden play very poorly before he got hurt.

tube517
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't agree with that. Especially in this zone scheme where we play a lot of Cover 3 that doesn't take an Asomugha caliber corner to play. I didn't see McFadden play very poorly before he got hurt.

McFadden's been hurt since 2009 when he played with the Steelers West. He hasn't really been the same since.

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2011, 12:19 PM

He's not nearly big enough for a LBer but he might be able to switch to safety. I agree that his coverage skills are seriously lacking as a CB.

zulater
11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
He's not nearly big enough for a LBer but he might be able to switch to safety. I agree that his coverage skills are seriously lacking as a CB.

Sorry I was just being flippant with Chidi, I don't really want McFadden anywhere other than the sidelines on Sunday. :lol:

The Duke
11-01-2011, 01:56 PM

hmm, not a crazy idea

though probably with his next team since I just don't see him here next year

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sorry I was just being flippant with Chidi, I don't really want McFadden anywhere other than the sidelines on Sunday. :lol:

:lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Like the way that Kraig Urbik was run out of town by the coaches and is now starting in Buffalo? Or Jon Kuhn was run out of town?? Never be afraid to question, just make sure you have a suggestion to fix what you suggest is broken.

tube517
11-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Like the way that Kraig Urbik was run out of town by the coaches and is now starting in Buffalo? Or Jon Kuhn was run out of town?? Never be afraid to question, just make sure you have a suggestion to fix what you suggest is broken.

Kuhn, by far, should've been kept. First ballot HOF'er :chuckle:

I wonder what they didn't like in Urbik versus Trai Essex?

zulater
11-05-2011, 12:38 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mike_bires/steelers-mid-season-report/article_40290a42-0620-11e1-923e-0019bb30f31a.html

MOST DISAPPOINTING PLAYER
I know that Bryant McFadden was bothered with a hamstring injury for much of training camp and again early in the season. But he hasn't even been listed on the official injury report for several weeks now. Not only has McFadden lost his starting job at cornerback to William Gay, but he can't even get on the field.
Keenan Lewis is now the No. 3 corner and in the past few games, it's been rookie Cortez Allen who's often come in when the Steelers use six defensive backs.
McFadden is being paid $2.5 million this season. That's a lot of money the Steelers are paying for a guy who right now is their fifth option at cornerback.

Count Steeler
11-05-2011, 06:21 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mike_bires/steelers-mid-season-report/article_40290a42-0620-11e1-923e-0019bb30f31a.html

I know that Bryant McFadden was bothered with a hamstring injury for much of training camp and again early in the season. But he hasn't even been listed on the official injury report for several weeks now. Not only has McFadden lost his starting job at cornerback to William Gay, but he can't even get on the field.
Keenan Lewis is now the No. 3 corner and in the past few games, it's been rookie Cortez Allen who's often come in when the Steelers use six defensive backs.
McFadden is being paid $2.5 million this season. That's a lot of money the Steelers are paying for a guy who right now is their fifth option at cornerback.

Fresh legs for the playoffs? :noidea: Seriously, Lake must see that BMac just doesn't have what it takes anymore or why hold back players that have performed well, just because Bmac is making more money. He will be gone next year.

Craic
11-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Willie Gay was mediocre at Nickel Corner last year,

I keep hearing this, but there is just nothing to bear this out as fact. In one game, against the Pats, he was burned for 2 TD's. The third one, he was in perfect position and Brady Grad. just made a great pass and catch. That was a mismatch that game.

Outside of that, he looked to be the best number 3 in the league, and better than a number of teams' number 2. I think a year back at Nickel to watch what happens and work on the things that he was lacking on the corner was perfect for him. Then with Lake coming in, well, maybe we have our true number 2 now. It'd be nice.

suitanim
11-06-2011, 06:10 AM

At least he's not in grey sweats every week. It COULD be worse...

86WARD
11-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Duce sweats?

Iron Steeler
11-06-2011, 08:55 AM

yuppp i was one of those fans

zulater
11-06-2011, 12:28 PM
At least he's not in grey sweats every week. It COULD be worse...

http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/ducesweats.jpg

Mr Pocket pool himself.

:lol:

86WARD
11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
...or not...

katmandu
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
DID I PERHAPS SPEAK TOO SOON ????????

DAMIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayC
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
this performance washes out all the good he's done this year to me. he's still the same old gay i've always known

SteelerEmpire
11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Gay failed us big time tonight... the Steelers didn't play with much heart for more than the 1st half of the game

Steeldude
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
this performance washes out all the good he's done this year to me.

then the same can be said for taylor.

SteelerEmpire
11-06-2011, 10:57 PM

Yep. Taylor lost a few Pro Bowl points today as well

IUSteel
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM

For sure. Looked like he was playing 3 yards off every receiver and trying to close. Our secondary was lights out last week and not home this week.

JayC
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
how so? this was about gay impressing way more this season compared to being a liability in previous years. today just prove's he's still a guy you cannot count on ever in my book. i was beginning to have confidence in him but i'm back to having none again and if he plays good games it won't even matter to me because our soft schedule the remainder of the season. ike on the other hand has had bad games each year and is proven because he bounces back. what has gay done in the past to warrant any confidence other than a few good games in a row this year? nothing in my book.

fansince'76
11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
how so? this was about gay impressing way more this season compared to being a liability in previous years. today just prove's he's still a guy you cannot count on ever in my book. i was beginning to have confidence in him but i'm back to having none again and if he plays good games it won't even matter to me because our soft schedule the remainder of the season. ike on the other hand has had bad games each year and is proven because he bounces back. what has gay done in the past to warrant any confidence other than a few good games in a row this year? nothing in my book.

Taylor got absolutely smoked on that pass that Smith dropped in the end zone. He doesn't get a pass either. And where the hell was Ryan Clark on the one he did catch?

SteelerEmpire
11-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Gay is too small and too slow to be an effective CB... I wish that big dummy Lewis could step up... The DB's the Ravens targeted tonight will continue to catch hell the rest of the season

Edman
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
The Steelers Secondary slayed one demon(Brady), but gained another. Joe Flacco has shredded them twice now in both games.

I'd hate to say it, but Joe Flacco and the Ravens O have figured out the Steelers Secondary and has become their new kryptonite. No consistent pressure again and giving up a shitload of third downs.

st33lersguy
11-07-2011, 01:37 AM
William Gay is back

fansince'76
11-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Looks like Gay is (quite predictably) back in the Nation's doghouse. LOL

zulater
11-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Gay had a bad game, but is still servicable. Lewis needs to replace him in the starting lineup, and maybe in another season Allen will relegate him to the dime defense.

86WARD
11-07-2011, 07:04 AM
He played alright...better than in the past...but he's not a starter.

suitanim
11-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Gay is fine (and by fine, I mean adequate, but nothing special) in zone. He got lit up by unpolished rookies last night when playing man-to-man. We need to clean that up or every team we face will exploit that glaring weakness.

katmandu
11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
We need to clean that up or every team we face will exploit that glaring weakness.They've been doing that and will continue to do so.

We NEED a shutdown CB ASAP!

suitanim
11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
They've been doing that and will continue to do so.

We NEED a shutdown CB ASAP!

He more than held his own against the Pats, but that was because it was so unexpected. He's not a man-to-man type CB. Ike is...Ike got burnt a couple times last night, but Boldin is a stud. Gay will get smoked over and over and over again if we stay in 100% man-to-man. It is imperative to switch things up, and confuse the opposing QB's. Dalton will be stymied if we are shifting in and out of zones, running stunts and blitzes...we have new weapons in the arsenal but we still need to use the old ones, too...

BlastFurnace
11-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Gay is nothing more than a worn out bandaid until Allen, Brown, or Lewis steps up and takes the position.

He gets exposed whenever a team focuses on him. Hopefully, he is gone next season.

86WARD
11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Gay is nothing more than a worn out bandaid until Allen, Brown, or Lewis steps up and takes the position.

He gets exposed whenever a team focuses on him. Hopefully, he is gone next season.

LOL.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2011, 04:17 PM
i have no idea where you guys are getting this. Gay played alright yesterday. If you're seriously making him the goat for that Torrey Smith TD you are delusional. An 8 year old could have pointed out that Ryan Clark shouldnt have gotten himself sucked in to the opposite side and Gay shouldve had coverage over the top from him. Good for you Gay, and god damnit ryan clark...

suitanim
11-08-2011, 05:22 AM
i have no idea where you guys are getting this. Gay played alright yesterday. If you're seriously making him the goat for that Torrey Smith TD you are delusional. An 8 year old could have pointed out that Ryan Clark shouldnt have gotten himself sucked in to the opposite side and Gay shouldve had coverage over the top from him. Good for you Gay, and god damnit ryan clark...

As has already been pointed out, if Clark opts to roll over on Smith, then Boldin is open and scores the TD. He chose the worse threat. Gay still let his man get behind him and still committed a penalty on that play, which would have STILL resulted in a 1st and goal for the Rats at the 3.

Gay had a bad game. Ike had a bad game...but Ike has been stellar all year, so he gets a pass. Gay...............not so much.

Chidi29
11-08-2011, 08:18 PM
As has already been pointed out, if Clark opts to roll over on Smith, then Boldin is open and scores the TD. He chose the worse threat. Gay still let his man get behind him and still committed a penalty on that play, which would have STILL resulted in a 1st and goal for the Rats at the 3.

Gay had a bad game. Ike had a bad game...but Ike has been stellar all year, so he gets a pass. Gay...............not so much.

As the safety, you're taught to take the deepest vertical route. That was Torrey Smith and you figured he was going to run a streak based off his split and outside release.

I assume Gay was thinking he'd have help over the top so he could afford to run underneath him just a tad to try and prevent any underthrown deep ball from being completed. Help wasn't there, Gay looks bad. Let Troy cover Boldin in the middle of the field.

Yet again, we put Gay in a bad matchup. No reason to be playing tight coverage there. Not much time left, keep everything in front. Especially against the speedy Torrey Smith who just burned Ike Taylor two plays before. If Taylor can't catch him, what makes you think Gay will?

I've said it a bunch of times so I'm not being hypocritical here. I hate man coverage because it runs the risk of giving up the deep ball. Steeler fans, generally speaking, take it for granted that we don't let it up the big play and then yell when we do.

Unfortunately, Gay is the scapegoat yet again.

katmandu
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Yet again, we put Gay in a bad matchup. No reason to be playing tight coverage there. Not much time left, keep everything in front. Especially against the speedy Torrey Smith who just burned Ike Taylor two plays before. If Taylor can't catch him, what makes you think Gay will?Why would Coach Lebeu put him in that situation ?

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2011, 11:37 PM
If we're seriously going to beat the shit out of this topic for the exact opposite reason that the title intends it to be for, how about we start a "Ryan Clark somehow gets a free pass on a TD he allowed in pivotal game because he isnt as fun of a scapegoat" thread...

Chidi29
11-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Why would Coach Lebeu put him in that situation ?

That is what I do not understand.

suitanim
11-09-2011, 05:24 AM
Man worked against the Pats. It probably will again. But we don't need to run it against every team we face now, or it will be deja vu all over again...

I still think Clark was faced with "Morton's Fork", where both his choices yield the same undesirable outcome.

Edman
11-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Last week it looked like Steelers Secondary was legitimate, shutting down the Pats. Turns out, the Pats Offense was exposed when the Cowboys and Giants shut them down too, rendering that performance null. The Patriots are severely down graded this year.

The secondary was shredded big time by Joe Flacco Sunday, and he's not what you would call a high-quality QB. The painful realization came is that the Steelers Pass D still has it's share of issues.

Psycho Ward 86
11-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Man worked against the Pats. It probably will again. But we don't need to run it against every team we face now, or it will be deja vu all over again...

I still think Clark was faced with "Morton's Fork", where both his choices yield the same undesirable outcome.

deja vu compared to what?

Steeldude
11-10-2011, 06:07 AM
i haven't seen a replay, but didn't smith push off at the last second to get separation?

zulater
11-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Last week it looked like Steelers Secondary was legitimate, shutting down the Pats. Turns out, the Pats Offense was exposed when the Cowboys and Giants shut them down too, rendering that performance null. The Patriots are severely down graded this year.

The secondary was shredded big time by Joe Flacco Sunday, and he's not what you would call a high-quality QB. The painful realization came is that the Steelers Pass D still has it's share of issues.

Really given the rules I think everyone in the league has issues with the pass.

According to Tomlin they were using picks, and rubs to free up receivers. In other words this game was lost in the film room. Their coaches once again figured out ways to exploit individual match ups and we never made any adjustments. We didn't even make an attempt at adjustments. And given the way they were converting 3rd downs all night long I just don't see how at some point the light didn't go on and we didn't try doing something different?

Also while Harrison had 3 sacks, no one else did squat as far as getting pressure on Flacco. Even with Harrison I think all of his sacks were on first or second down, we did virtually nothing to disrupt Flacco on 3rd down all night. An NFL quarterback who can set his feet and step into his throw will complete way more passes than he misses. The lack of pressure, particularly on 3rd downs deserves just as much blame as the db's for the results of this game. And more to the point the coaching staff, ( Tomlin and LeBeau) let this team down by failing to adjust and never doing anything different to get Flacco off his game.

And please no one take that statement as a call for LeBeau or Tomlin's head. But in my opinion they had a bad game, and deserve a lion's share of the blame for the loss.

GodfatherofSoul
11-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Don't you mean "Rosie O'Donnell's Fork"?

GodfatherofSoul
11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
i haven't seen a replay, but didn't smith push off at the last second to get separation?

...after being aggregiously held. Refs let them hand check each other so that was probably seen as a "defensive" move.

suitanim
11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
deja vu compared to what?
Compared to the Rats last drive. And their insane 3rd down conversion rate.

What do you think Aaron Rodgers would do to that same pass defense that fucking Joe Flacco decimated?

Zone works, but not 100% of the time.

Man works, but not 100% of the time.

Mix it up...keep 'em guessing. Utilize all the weapons in your arsenal...

katmandu
11-13-2011, 02:59 PM
So William redeems himself with a game changing Interception !!!!

Chidi29
11-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Doesn't matter. If he screws up once again at any time in the future, he'll suck forever. At least, that's the mindset of Steelers fans.

Psycho Ward 86
11-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Huh, actually Ryan Clark failed to redeem himself because he was injured and on the sidelines but...ok i guess...

Godfather
11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm really happy for Gay. After all the guff he took for two years (including from me), he's been having a great season.

suitanim
11-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Dalton is one thing.

Rodgers is another.

Chidi29
11-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Dalton is one thing.

Rodgers is another.

Yes, if Gay doesn't have ten interceptions against Aaron Rodgers, the only logical explanation is that he sucks.

fansince'76
11-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Dalton is one thing.

Rodgers is another.

If you're alluding to that hookup with Jordy Nelson in the SB last February, sorry, but Mel Blount and Rod Woodson in their prime wouldn't have been able to prevent that TD - it was an absolutely perfect pass and Gay had Nelson covered on that one as well as a WR could possibly be covered by anyone without committing PI.

suitanim
11-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm simply stating that picking off a telegraphed pass from a rookie CB after they obviously went to that well once too often does not necessarily extrapolate out to Gay being up to the task of playing man-to-man against the best QB in the league right now, who is experienced and has experienced WR's to throw to.

I still have Gay as our weak link in the secondary...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm simply stating that picking off a telegraphed pass from a rookie CB after they obviously went to that well once too often does not necessarily extrapolate out to Gay being up to the task of playing man-to-man against the best QB in the league right now, who is experienced and has experienced WR's to throw to.

Was thinking along the same lines yesterday. Dalton himself said he locked in on the receiver (Simpson) and Gay made a good break on the ball.

Maybe he gets some picks on Alex Smith, Colt McKoy, Sam Bradford and whoever the Chefs backup is in the next few weeks. Rookie QB locking in on a WR is a play he should make.

tube517
11-14-2011, 06:03 PM

I agree and he still has a lot of work but have you ever seen Gay break for the ball? I've never seen him do that. :noidea: