PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Forgotten Steeler still watches from afar

stillers4me
10-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Larry Zierlein is not a man given to hyperbole. The former Steelers offensive line coach, a Vietnam veteran, values actions above words and loyalty above all.

Maybe that is why Zierlein uncharacteristically opened up when I inquired about a forgotten Steeler named Darnell Stapleton.

Remember him? Stapleton, then 23, was the Steelers' starting right guard in the four-part epic known as Super Bowl XLIII. Which means he was an integral part of one of the great drives in NFL history..........

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763425.html

The Duke
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Life stops on Steeler Sundays. Stapleton watches their games in a man cave adorned with yellow walls and a black couch, under a photo of himself and Mean Joe Greene on the White House lawn. His Super Bowl ring sits inside a safe, his game-worn Super Bowl jersey inside a frame.

"It was never washed," Stapleton says, laughing. "You can smell it through the glass."

Once a steeler always a steeler

I'm glad Stapleton wasn't a moron who didn't put his degree to use. Love hearing stories about players like this

Even if he wasn't the best guard, he gave it his all, and got a nice ring for it

Austin87
10-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Good read.

Chidi29
10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Great article!