PDA

View Full Version : Week Six Thoughts

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Game was a little close for comfort but at the end of the day, getting the "W" is the only thing I care about. Score is a bit misleading too because we cuold've blown them out had we connected on one or two of the missed deep balls.

First Half

- Kickoff Times: 3.75 (-9, TB), 4.24 (-2), 3.52 (-4), 3.95 (-1). Not a very good week for Suisham. Wind might have had a lot to do with it and we're not kicking in domes anymore.

- Dwyer and Battle were the starting wedgebusters.

- Teams need to stop trying to match FBs on Woodley (you know what, they can continue doing so since it's great news for the Steelers defense). Don't know why Gabbert motioned this FB away and made him come across the line to try and pick him up on Woodley's first sack.

- Steelers were prepared for the screen passes, including a 3rd and 12 screen on the Jags' first drive to stall it around midfield. Tomlin talked about how Jacksonville liked to use those in his Tuesday press conference.

- Curtis Brown and Keenan Lewis were the starting gunners.

- Starting o-line. I'm glad I decided to do this Week One. Starks, Legursky, Pouncey, Foster, Scott

- Key block/interference by Wallace on Mendenhall's touchdown. Got in the way of the SS and the only defender on the edge was the CB who had to attack Mendenhall out of his backpedal.

- Used almost nothing but LG traps with Doug on the first drive. Credit to Legursky. I give him a lot of flack but he has a really good first step, reason being he is the FB in Bronko packages. Also credit to the right side of the line and the FB for getting a good push and leg drive. If they get pushed back off the snap, the pulling guard has to take a wider angle and takes more time for him to find the hole. Timing is everything on this play because with the double team down-block you often see, the SAM or MIKE is going to be able to come in free if the guard can't get there in time.

- Ben with a bad decision trying to go deep to Wallace on his first deep ball. Only bad decision he had on the long ball all game IMO. Safety rolled to the closed side, CB had inside position. Shouldn't try to make that throw, not going to work.

- Foreshadow to the Jags' TD late in the game. Bad job by LeBeau not making the adjustment. Gabbert missed a deep ball to Hill on a post that would've probably gone for a TD had it been completed. Likely was Cover 4 with the FS Clark playing medium depth and jumping an underneath cross (Side note: From what I've read, that's actually what Cover 4 is, not the typically thought 4 deep coverage where the DBs take 1/4 of the field. That is actually called Cover 8). Ike is one-on-one and isn't able to get inside position (he pretty much won't be able to since the WR is taught to get inside and cross the CBs face on his cut). Really need the safety there and that's how they scored the second TD. Picture will accompany that score since we get a good view. Don't get one here.

- Legursky was replaced by Essex.

- Almost anytime you see Mike Wallace motioned to a narrow split, he's going to run the post as he did on his TD. Surprised defenses haven't figured that out yet. Line did a nice job selling the run fake.

- Didn't like the idea of a pitch/reverse from Brown to Sanders on a PR as they did. Too risky, isn't worth it.

- 1st play after Mendenhall's 68 yard run. He probably would've scored but Pouncey steps on Essex's foot as he tries to pull and trips him up. LB is able to come in the hole free.

- Next play. Incomplete to Ward looked like the same play we showed last week where Ward ended up being wide open in the back of the end zone.

- On the 3rd and goal missed pass to Brown on the corner, Ben said there was "miscommunication". Has been all year between the two and why I think and have said Brown is a bit overrated.

- Keisel batting down another pass.

- Polamalu nearly jumped on Gabbert's back. Something I'm sure he didn't see in the Big 12.

- On the first overthrow to Sanders, the Jags had all eleven players within 8 yards of the LOS. Ben had good reason to look deep and Sanders was open.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2mm795d.png

- Disappointing that after Wallace's second catch running the corner, we had back-to-back penalties that put us 15 yards back and out of FG range.

- Starks/Essex picking up a stunt really well. Maybe getting a guy back like Starks has helped the line gel, having a guy that has played a lot even if it hasn't been recently.

- Speaking of that, I'll give the line a lot of credit. Easily the best job they've played all year and I'm not even talking about just stats. They were picking up stunts as well as you could hope for all game long. Communication was really the problem I saw early in the year. So credit to the line and Kugler.

- Trap blocks weren't working as well in the second quarter. Like I said before, the RG/RT have to get a good push and they weren't. Essex was forced to take wider angles.

- Great athletic play by Keisel to recognize the screen, fight off the OT, get to MJD, and hold onto him for a loss late in the 2nd quarter.

Second Half

- Second deep ball missed to Sanders. Had 10 Jaguars players within 8 yards.

http://i51.tinypic.com/kahif6.png

- Timmons can't be missing a tackle on Gabbert on 3rd and 11. Luckilly called back on a hold.

- Here's the picture of the Cover 4 on the Jags' TD.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2llzgoh.png

We can see Clark playing the in route leaving Ike with no help. Even if it is Cover 2/8, Clark still needs to play the deepest route. That's his job.

I actually think having Timmons at OLB might have something to do with it. This is the play we ran on the TD.

http://i53.tinypic.com/1zvga6q.jpg

It's definitely zone under. Timmons drops off of the snap but sees the back release and goes with him. That's when Clark steps up and plays the in route. We blitz the ILB Foote.

Here's what may have happened had Harrison played and had Timmons at ILB since he's so athletic.

http://i52.tinypic.com/28l5fdi.jpg

The same idea but we blitz Farrior at ILB and drop Timmons into coverage. With him dropping into the in route, maybe Clark won't have to come up and play it. He can stay back and read the QB.

I'm just spit-balling but it's worth thinking about. Not that I'm being critical of the coaching staff but shows the value Timmons has on the team even if it doesn't always show up on the stat sheet.

And yes, those are my science notes above. Listen about sea-floor spreading or think about the Steelers? Tough choice...

- We're still a terrible toss team. Under no circumstances should Jonathan Scott pull.

- Mike Thomas is supposed to get in Troy's way on his stop of MJD that led to the concussion. But Troy is much quicker off the ball even though Thomas knows the snap count (granted, Troy is able to watch the QB and ball and time it that way). But Thomas can't touch Troy and he gets the stop.

- Mundy replaced Troy.

- Missed too many tackles in the second half. Tried to arm tackle too much, went too high on MJD and he ran through us.

- Jags called timeout on 4th and 6, later saying we had come out in a set they had yet to practice against. Picture of it. Just one down lineman.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2i8cc4h.png

LeBeau still has tricks up his sleeve.

- Both the 3rd and 3 scramble by Ben and 3rd and 4 sack late in the game appeared to be designed quick outs to Ward. Seemed open each time, not positive why Ben didn't go there either instance.

- Keisel with a nice job splitting the rookie LG/LT on his second sack. Ran inside stunt with Timmons.

Sacks

- 3rd and 7, 11:18 left in 4th. Starks looked realy bad off snap, didn't have any balanced, showed a small base. Chick easily beats him around the edge.

- 3rd and 10, 7:55 left in 4th. Shotgun, 10 personel. FF, recovered by Essex. Chick again beats Starks. Breaks his arm away as he comes off the edge. Starks' hand placement seemed too high and didn't get a good punch. Also had his right arm on the DT off snap because the tackle came off the ball outside the guard.

- 3rd and 4, 2:00 left in 4th. Shotgun, 11 personel. Rollout, QB and line moving so pocket isn't designed to last long. DE that gets chipped/blocked by the OT and falls down is able to get up and get a good piece of Ben. Backside blitzer gets around David Johnson, runs over Redman, and cleans up the sack.

But I think I have to put it on Ben. Like I said above, Ward looks open on the quick out to the sticks.

http://i55.tinypic.com/jtvx3q.png

Looks open to me.

Sack Counter (Game)

Max Starks: 2
Ben Roethlisberger: 1

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 5
Max Starks: 2
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Wide receivers: 1.5
Ramon Foster: 1.5
Bruce Arians: 1
Good defensive scheme: 1
Marcus Gilbert: 1
Chris Kemoeatu: 1
Willie Colon: .5
Trai Essex: .5
Maurkice Pouncey: .5

Formations

FB: 13
Pony: 0
Empty: 6

Injuries

Legursky out with dislocated toe. Out a few weeks.

Hoke with a nasty stinger. Likely out tomorrow. Steve McClendon to draw the start.

Pouncey, Mendenhall suffered injuries in practice but both will play.

Wallace's hamstring is a non-issue.

zulater
10-21-2011, 10:04 PM
On the 3rd and goal missed pass to Brown on the corner, Ben said there was "miscommunication". Has been all year between the two and why I think and have said Brown is a bit overrated.

I don't think Brown is overrated, I think he still lacks experience. Remember we're talking about a 6th round draft choice who really didn't see a great deal of playing time as a rookie. Oh I know he made several plays later in the year, but he still was playing limited snaps, and I would imagine most of his routes were fairly simple ones. Then you have no OTA's and hurried preseason. I just think we need to be a little more patient here, I think both he and Sanders will be good players for a long time to come.

That said I think we need to see much more of Cotcherty. He's a more polished route runner, and will give Ben more opportunities to convert mid range passes than our super sophs do.

Chidi29
10-22-2011, 12:23 AM
I don't think Brown is overrated, I think he still lacks experience. Remember we're talking about a 6th round draft choice who really didn't see a great deal of playing time as a rookie. Oh I know he made several plays later in the year, but he still was playing limited snaps, and I would imagine most of his routes were fairly simple ones. Then you have no OTA's and hurried preseason. I just think we need to be a little more patient here, I think both he and Sanders will be good players for a long time to come.

That said I think we need to see much more of Cotcherty. He's a more polished route runner, and will give Ben more opportunities to convert mid range passes than our super sophs do.

I'm not saying Brown will be overrated in my book forever. He certainly hasn't hit his ceiling, far from it. But at this point, I don't have a ton of faith in him. He's like Wallace was in the beginning half of last year or his rookie year. He can run straight and run fast. That's great but he is far from a complete game and it seems like his head is still spinning from the mental side of the game.

Austin87
10-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Good stuff.

86WARD
10-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Timmons was awful last week and hasn't been very good at OLB in place of Harrison. He's pretty much been a non-factor...he's been good in coverage, but other than that, zero...literally...

Chidi29
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Timmons was awful last week and hasn't been very good at OLB in place of Harrison. He's pretty much been a non-factor...he's been good in coverage, but other than that, zero...literally...

He hasn't offered much as a pass rusher but he's been dropping back in coverage a lot because he's so valuable there. And I think he's done a good job versus the run.

I'm not giddy about his play at OLB but I'm content. Certainly wouldn't say "awful".

zulater
10-24-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not saying Brown will be overrated in my book forever. He certainly hasn't hit his ceiling, far from it. But at this point, I don't have a ton of faith in him. He's like Wallace was in the beginning half of last year or his rookie year. He can run straight and run fast. That's great but he is far from a complete game and it seems like his head is still spinning from the mental side of the game.

Any more faith today? :chuckle:

Chidi29
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Any more faith today? :chuckle:

I'd respond but it's hard to talk with my foot in my mouth.

zulater
10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd respond but it's hard to talk with my foot in my mouth.

:sofunny:

Classic responce! :applaudit:

And don't worry, I could probably borrow that line and make it my signature. :heh:

shutdown
10-24-2011, 12:39 PM

I agree with this based on the fact they keep putting Sanders above him (with minimal production). They have to be seeing/knowing something about Brown.

But yeah, he had some nice plays yesterday.

86WARD
10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
He hasn't offered much as a pass rusher but he's been dropping back in coverage a lot because he's so valuable there. And I think he's done a good job versus the run.

I'm not giddy about his play at OLB but I'm content. Certainly wouldn't say "awful".

He's been awful as a Steelers OLB. He can cover and that's why he should be back in the middle. Anything other than that he's been non-existent. He's better than Worlids...but the OLB "experiment" ain't working...lol.