PDA

View Full Version : NFL fines Troy Polamalu $10,000 for cell phone call

polamalubeast
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Troy Polamalu was fined $10,000 for talking on a cell phone while in the bench area.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/127467943645814784

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Know it's against the rules but sheesh, he was just calling his wife.

Sucks but I guess this is one of those things where the league has to fine him otherwise it opens up Pandora's Box.

Tomlin won't be happy though. Said he thought "common sense would prevail" when asked if he thought Troy would get fined for using the phone.

polamalubeast
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
http://theworldaccordingtotassos.com/images/hypocrisy%20jeopardy.jpg

BlastFurnace
10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
He gets fined, but Schwartz and Harbaugh don't.

I don't have a problem with the fine, but I do have a problem that the coaches weren't.

I hope Troy pays the fine in pennies.

Count Steeler
10-21-2011, 03:47 PM
We'll just have to give him a 10,000 bonus this week for a pick 6 and a sack.

NFL had to fine him, but they should have also fined the 2 adolescents posing as coaches in Detroit.

Psycho Ward 86
10-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Such a dumb fine. But honestly, after all of that Spygate crap with New England, I can kind of understand why they make these kinds of rules

zulater
10-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Know it's against the rules but sheesh, he was just calling his wife.

Sucks but I guess this is one of those things where the league has to fine him otherwise it opens up Pandora's Box. Tomlin won't be happy though. Said he thought "common sense would prevail" when asked if he thought Troy would get fined for using the phone.

Yeah like coaches playing WWE over a post game handshake.

stillers4me
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't have a problem with him being fined so much as I have in the amount of the fine in relation to other fines given out today.

$7500 for a chop block that could hurt someone and possibly end a season or career and $10,000 for a phone call and a middle finger that hurts no one.

More der Kommish logic.

tube517
10-21-2011, 05:59 PM
And this is a surprise to who?

Bluecoat96
10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Bad call by NFL on Troy Polamalu fine

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/46947/bad-call-by-nfl-on-troy-polamalu-fine (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/46947/bad-call-by-nfl-on-troy-polamalu-fine)

HollywoodSteel
10-21-2011, 06:39 PM
That's nothing. Ryan Clark was fined $20,000 for head-butting Troy after he made that tackle. And James Harrison was fined $75,000 for looking far too mean on the sidelines after repeated warnings by the league to do otherwise.

SteelerEmpire
10-21-2011, 07:02 PM
I just what to know when is the "players Spring" gonna go down and over-throw Goodhell...

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah like coaches playing WWE over a post game handshake.

The coaches did nothing that was illegal. That is the difference.

Count Steeler
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Nothing illegal, but certainly poor sportsmanship. "Defenders of the shield".

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Nothing illegal, but certainly poor sportsmanship. "Defenders of the shield".

I'm just saying that there's a distinct difference between the two. Much more grey area in the Harbaugh/Scwartz incident.

tube517
10-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Bad call by NFL on Troy Polamalu fine

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/46947/bad-call-by-nfl-on-troy-polamalu-fine (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/46947/bad-call-by-nfl-on-troy-polamalu-fine)

Let's put this in perspective. Polamalu was fined the same amount as Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk, who flashed the middle finger at his team's bench. Polamalu was fined more than Texans defensive end Antonio Smith, who has to pay $7,500 for pulling off the helmet of Ravens guard Andre Gurode. And Polamalu was fined more than Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew, who has to pay $7,500 for a chop block.

:coffee:

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
There are likely set amounts for a fine depending on the offense. They don't just pull numbers out of thin air.

Count Steeler
10-21-2011, 08:45 PM
There are likely set amounts for a fine depending on the offense. They don't just pull numbers out of thin air.

Yeah, you are probably right. Going rate for chop blocks seems to be 7500. I guess 2nd offense may get bumped some more. But this is really getting to be a joke. Friday is not just setting the teams for Sunday's games anymore. Final practice, final injury status. It is now "fine announcement day". What a crock of shit.

zulater
10-21-2011, 09:29 PM

As far as any of us know neither did Big Ben. Didn't stop Goodell from suspending him though did it?

BigNastyDefense
10-21-2011, 09:50 PM
This is something that the NFL should have let slide. They should have told Polamalu that if it happens again, he will be fined. A simple memo sent to all the teams reminding them that players, coaches, and other team personnel are not to use cell phones on the sidelines.

Here's a good idea, the NFL should just change the rule that anyone on the sideline cannot have a cell phone on them. All phones must be left inside the locker room/medics room. Then there is no way this happens again.

And yes, Chidi29, Harbaugh and Shwartz should have both been fined by the league. That was very poor sportsmanship. Roger Goodell is so insistent on "protecting the shield" and the image of the league. Under that mantra, they should have been fined.

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
As far as any of us know neither did Big Ben. Didn't stop Goodell from suspending him though did it?

And I've expressed my displeasure with Ben's suspension.

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 10:19 PM
This is something that the NFL should have let slide. They should have told Polamalu that if it happens again, he will be fined. A simple memo sent to all the teams reminding them that players, coaches, and other team personnel are not to use cell phones on the sidelines.

Here's a good idea, the NFL should just change the rule that anyone on the sideline cannot have a cell phone on them. All phones must be left inside the locker room/medics room. Then there is no way this happens again.

And yes, Chidi29, Harbaugh and Shwartz should have both been fined by the league. That was very poor sportsmanship. Roger Goodell is so insistent on "protecting the shield" and the image of the league. Under that mantra, they should have been fined.

It's probably a good idea for doctors to have immediate access to a cell phone in case on an emergency.

Godfather
10-21-2011, 10:29 PM
That's nothing. Ryan Clark was fined $20,000 for head-butting Troy after he made that tackle. And James Harrison was fined $75,000 for looking far too mean on the sidelines after repeated warnings by the league to do otherwise.

Clark's fine was overturned on appeal because he head-butted a Steeler which made it OK.

BigNastyDefense
10-21-2011, 11:19 PM
It's probably a good idea for doctors to have immediate access to a cell phone in case on an emergency.

There are ambulances & EMT's/paramedics on site at every NFL game, I don't see why they'd need a cell phone in case of emergency.

JayC
10-22-2011, 12:25 AM
i hate goodell more than i hate the ravens

steel striker
10-22-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm so mad about this I can't even speak or type!

Austin87
10-22-2011, 06:58 AM
WOW, that's a lot of money for something as silly as making a phone call.

Polamalu Princess
10-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Fine - okay....$10,000 for letting his wife know that he is okay - stupid.

X-Terminator
10-22-2011, 02:48 PM
No problem with the fine itself - rules are rules. The amount, however, is excessive to say the least.

ALLD
10-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Some people cannot see the forest from the trees. If that was Brady or Manning doing the same thing it would have not been fined, but possibly honored in the media saying that he was thoughful enough to let his wife know he was okay.

XxKnightxX
10-22-2011, 03:20 PM
There are ambulances & EMT's/paramedics on site at every NFL game, I don't see why they'd need a cell phone in case of emergency.

They have to contact medical control for any advance directives regarding medications and etc, as well as notifying the ER of whats coming since if theyre bringing someone in it has to be determined as a traumatic injury, so the medical staff needs to be prepared, the radios dont really help with that.

Moose
10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
So, I understand the DOCTOR called Troy's wife to say everything was okay and handed the phone to Troy to talk....and of course that's when the ole' TV camera focused their lenses on Troy. Ain't that crap !!! I also understand Tomlin and FO is involved to help Troy. LOL, good luck with that !!

Craic
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
No problem with the fine itself - rules are rules. The amount, however, is excessive to say the least.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Considering the circumstances and the fact that it was his wife, I think it shouldn't have been anything over 2-3000. But yeah, the rules are the rules.

Craic
10-22-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't have a problem with him being fined so much as I have in the amount of the fine in relation to other fines given out today.

$7500 for a chop block that could hurt someone and possibly end a season or career and $10,000 for a phone call and a middle finger that hurts no one.

More der Kommish logic.

I think your statement falls right in line with X-term, and I agree with you as well. There needs to be some kind of integrated system of fines, so that a message isn't being sent that it's better to chop block someone that it is to call home and tell your wife you're ok.