PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Arians: No hurry for no-huddle

stillers4me
10-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Bruce Arians is used to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger lobbying for the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers offensive coordinator said he hasn't abandoned the fast-paced attack as much as he hasn't quite reached a comfort level with it. Injuries are partly to blame, Arians said Thursday, particularly on the offensive line.
The Steelers have used six different starting line combinations this season.

"There have been a lot of interchanging pieces," Arians said. "We're not as coherent as I'd like to be with all 11 guys to run a lot of it, but we're capable of running it. And it may become a major force like it has in the past."...........

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html

HometownGal
10-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Whatever those two decide they want to do, then so be it."

While I would like to see the no-hud a little more often, this is where I'm at. With musical chairs going on with the OL due to all of the injuries, I get where BA is coming from.

fansince'76
10-21-2011, 08:07 AM
And for those who seem to think going heavy on the no-huddle will be some kind of magic elixir for the offense:

The Steelers have employed their no-huddle twice this season, with Roethlisberger completing 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 08:17 AM
And for those who seem to think going heavy on the no-huddle will be some kind of magic elixir for the offense:

Doesn't Ben call those plays?

How could they not work then? I thought it was well known that all Ben's plays work?

This is basically the same thread we already have going elsewhere regurgitated.

siss
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Arians is basically saying Ben is to good at the no huddle and the rest of the humans are no match Ben's superiority at running the no-huddle. Is that a backhanded slap to the rest of the offense?

Is Ben the kid in Mensa with a bunch of average intelligent kids? Is he the kid that finishes his work first and goofs off the rest of time?

Count Steeler
10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
The WRs have to improve picking up the hot reads and the O Line has to do a better job at picking up stunts and blitzes. Besides that, the no huddle should work every time we try it. :sarcasm:

Texasteel
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
The WRs have to improve picking up the hot reads and the O Line has to do a better job at picking up stunts and blitzes. Besides that, the no huddle should work every time we try it. :sarcasm:

Good post Joe. The young WRs have missed their reads more than a couple of times, and one missed block could end up with 6 for the other team.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Arians is basically saying Ben is to good at the no huddle and the rest of the humans are no match Ben's superiority at running the no-huddle. Is that a backhanded slap to the rest of the offense?

Is Ben the kid in Mensa with a bunch of average intelligent kids? Is he the kid that finishes his work first and goofs off the rest of time?

6 of 13 for 86 ain't all that great.

zulater
10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
6 of 13 for 86 ain't all that great.

Just curious, does anyone know the ultimate result of the possessions where no huddle was used? I mean 6-13 sounds bad, but if by some miracle let's say those numbers reflected 3 possessions that resulted in 10 points wouldn't that in fact be superior to what the offense generally produces?

I'm just wondering if the writer might have left information out because it didn't support his overall position? I mean if for example all those drives would have came up empty, resulted in multiple sacks, or turnovers, I imagine that would have been cited to further reflect the futility of the no huddle offense in regards to the Steelers? Or at least I would have done so had I been trying to make that case.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I sincerely doubt that to be the case.

Think about it. If the O is spuddering (i.e. quick 3 and outs), do we really want to ACCELERATE that pace? If you run a no-huddle, and toss 3 quick incompletions, you'll use what? 10 seconds? Commercial break, and your D is right back on the field again.

I could see your case if it was 6 of 13 for 186 yards, meaning that those 6 completions averaged 31 yards a catch, but they don't. It's 14 a catch, which is better than his average of 8, but no great shakes. HOWEVER, the completion percentage is key here: Ben's career average is 63% on the button. 6 of 13 is 46%. It really looks to me like Arians is keeping us out of overusing the no-huddle for our own good.

zulater
10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
You don't get better at something without doing it.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 07:54 PM
You don't get better at something without doing it.

But the Steelers aren't built to run the old Bills K-gun, either. We still like to pack em in and run the rock right up the gut.

Texasteel
10-22-2011, 05:43 AM
I would wager that after the 1st pick 6 a lot of people would be screaming how stupid Arian is for trying to run an offense that he knew his team wasn't ready for.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sounds like a good title for the coaches auto biography.

zulater
10-22-2011, 05:49 AM
I would wager that after the 1st pick 6 a lot of people would be screaming how stupid Arian is for trying to run an offense that he knew his team wasn't ready for.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sounds like a good title for the coaches auto biography.

I'd suggest "Mr Mediocrity" for Bruce. :heh: Sorry couldn't resist. :wink02:

Texasteel
10-22-2011, 06:16 AM
I'd suggest "Mr Mediocrity" for Bruce. :heh: Sorry couldn't resist. :wink02:

I do make for a pretty good straight man, don't I.

Bluecoat96
10-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Just curious, does anyone know the ultimate result of the possessions where no huddle was used? I mean 6-13 sounds bad, but if by some miracle let's say those numbers reflected 3 possessions that resulted in 10 points wouldn't that in fact be superior to what the offense generally produces?

I'm just wondering if the writer might have left information out because it didn't support his overall position? I mean if for example all those drives would have came up empty, resulted in multiple sacks, or turnovers, I imagine that would have been cited to further reflect the futility of the no huddle offense in regards to the Steelers? Or at least I would have done so had I been trying to make that case.

You mean to tell me the media does stuff like that?

:sarcasm::lol:

GBMelBlount
10-22-2011, 08:04 AM
While I do agree that we have a lot of issues that could hinder the effectiveness of the no huddle, 13 plays is too few to draw firm conclusions about the effectiveness one way or another.