PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trying out a new man in the middle

stillers4me
10-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Only a technicality will prevent Steve McLendon from making his first career start Sunday. That is how the second-year defensive tackle is approaching the Steelers' upcoming game at Arizona.

McLendon said he expects to be the No. 1 nose tackle against the Cardinals, and he will start unless the Steelers open in a nickel defense instead of their base 3-4.

"There's going to be excitement. There's going to be nerves. That's part of it," McLendon said Thursday. "After that first snap, that first play, all of that will go out the window."

Although the offensive linemen have drawn much of the attention among injured Steelers, the defensive line hasn't exactly been immune to getting hurt...............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763014.html

suitanim
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
It will be noticeable...hoping for the best for this kid.

Count Steeler
10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Good thing we added depth with Hood and Heyward in the last couple of drafts. I think McClendon will do fine.

Hopefully Harrison will be back soon.

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
So the backup NT is...?

Know we just signed a NT to the practice squad though he isn't very big.

The Duke
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM
So the backup NT is...?

Know we just signed a NT to the practice squad though he isn't very big.

backup NT is going to the nickel all game I guess

Count Steeler
10-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Keisel could probably handle the duties if pressed.

Steeldude
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Keisel could probably handle the duties if pressed.

i believe hood would be inserted if mcclendon goes down

Texasteel
10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
i believe hood would be inserted if mcclendon goes down

I tend to agree. If Mcclendon goes down I think the line will be Heyward, Hood, Keisel.

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I tend to agree. If Mcclendon goes down I think the line will be Heyward, Hood, Keisel.

Getting really thin in terms of being able to spell our lineman. Right now, we have four healthy DL. You're asking Hood to go from DE where he's facing 320 pound OT and play NT where he's either pass rushing or taking on combo blocks.

tube517
10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Getting really thin in terms of being able to spell our lineman. Right now, we have four healthy DL. You're asking Hood to go from DE where he's facing 320 pound OT and play NT where he's either pass rushing or taking on combo blocks.

So, who is behind them? If Steve Mac goes down, who else are you going to put there? Joel Steed?

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
So, who is behind them? If Steve Mac goes down, who else are you going to put there? Joel Steed?

I might have to give him a call.

Let's bring back Scott Paxson for a game. Or bring Joseph up from the PS which we'll probably do today or tomorrow.

86WARD
10-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Hood has played a few snaps over center this year. Not sure he could do it full time...

The Duke
10-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I might have to give him a call.

Let's bring back Scott Paxson for a game. Or bring Joseph up from the PS which we'll probably do today or tomorrow.

I was surprised to see Paxson playing (and well) for the browns behind Rubin and Phil Taylor

Psycho Ward 86
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
this worries me. gotta love the praise that hampton gives the kid, but i mean, its his team mate, what else is he supposed to say? It's usually hard to make something out of what fellow players and coaches say. He's played well in the past couple games, so i think we'll all be watching the middle of that d-line all sunday.

7willBheaven
10-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Heyward or Hood could easily play DT/NT if needed...Hood played DT in college and Heyward has some experience there as well. I read they are going to call up rookie DE Corbin Bryant from the PS...I liked what I saw of him during the preseason....I'd like to see him against some 1st stringers though.

Texasteel
10-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Asking a lot? You bet. But desperate times call for desperate means. Unless we put the center of the line in the hand of back ups to the back ups, or sign a player. I don't see much else we can do.

Steeldude
10-21-2011, 10:56 PM

he has played NT before. who would you put in there if mcclendon goes down?

Chidi29
10-21-2011, 11:39 PM
he has played NT before. who would you put in there if mcclendon goes down?

I'd use Hood too but we need at least one other DL on the roster to give some depth and let the guys catch their breath.

Austin87
10-22-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm pretty excited to see what McLendon can do.

Bluecoat96
10-22-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm excited as well to see what McClendon is about.

I can't help but think that we are really making an effort to get our "old" guys healthy for the NE, Baltimore, and Cincy games. If it came down to it, would guys like Hampton and A. Smith be able to play right now if we really needed them? Would they have played if our schedule was a little tougher? I can only think that by really resting the "old farts" we'll be primed to do some good things later on in the season. Just my thoughts.

Devilsdancefloor
10-22-2011, 08:40 AM
how about Gray he was in camp with us? i really thought he was going to make the PS this year. hate seeing the line so thin.

Chidi29
10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Totally forgot about Corbin Bryant, a guy who I thought might make the team out of camp. He's been called up from the PS with Smith on IR.

Steeltreal
10-22-2011, 05:01 PM
17-1 in games where Hoke starts at NT.
I wonder if they can get a McLendon streak going?

GodfatherofSoul
10-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Maybe he'll nudge the average age of the defense down enough that ESPN will stop harping about it?

oneforthetoe
10-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Maybe he'll nudge the average age of the defense down enough that ESPN will stop harping about it?

doubt it.

O'Malley
10-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I hope ESPN continues to tak smack about the Steelers... They play better.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2011, 11:21 PM
i am REALLY concerned about what Beanie wells can do against this run defense, healthy or unhealthy

Pittsburgh43
10-23-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm pretty excited to see what McLendon can do, too. He's played pretty well and taken advantage of his very few opportunities.