PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley a Yearly Slow Starter

polamalubeast
10-20-2011, 05:01 PM
I heard Ike Taylor say the other day that he wasn’t worried about LaMarr Woodley because he always starts slow but he picks it up as the season goes on. I decided to look into it and he was dead on. Woodley is always a slow starter. His pace seems to pick up at about game 5 every year and he tears apart the second half of the season. It is really a pattern. The numbers do not lie. Here are Woodley’s stats from the time he took over the starting position in 2008.

•First 4 Games- 3.5 Sacks
•Last 12 Games- 8 sacks
•3 Playoff Games- 6 Sacks

•First 4 Games- 0 Sacks
•Last 12 Games- 13.5 Sacks

•First 4 Games- 2 Sacks
•Last 12 Games- 8 Sacks
•3 Playoff Games- 3 Sacks

•First 4 Games- 1.5 Sacks
•Only 2 games into the rest of the season- 3.5 Sacks

This is crazy. Woodley has 7 sacks in games 1-4 during his career as a starter. That is less then a half a sack per game. In games 5-16 he has 33 sacks. That is almost a full sack per game. Woodley also had 4 regular season and 2 post season sacks his rookie year.

Woodley gets even stronger in the playoffs. In his 7 games in the post season Woodley has attained 3 records.

1.Most consecutive games with a sack- 7 (Current)
2.Most consecutive games with 2 sacks- 4
3.Most Sacks to Start a post season career- 11

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/10/19/lamarr-woodley-a-yearly-slow-starter/

Steeldude
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
once again talking about sacks and nothing else. there is far more to being a LB than getting some sacks.

polamalubeast
10-20-2011, 05:37 PM
once again talking about sacks and nothing else. there is far more to being a LB than getting some sacks.

When Woodley plays very well, it means nothing to you....You only look at the negative on Woodley!!:coffee:

SCSTILLER
10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Steeldude is right, there is alot more to playing LB than sacks. On run plays he is holding the line of scrimmage well and taking up blockers, plus I have noticed that he is starting to draw two blockers on occasion. Those two things will help out the defense but will not show up on a stat sheet. Yes, the sacks get the attention, but it is not everything.

Steeldude
10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
When Woodley plays very well, it means nothing to you....You only look at the negative on Woodley!!:coffee:

when did i say or imply such a thing? when woodley plays poorly you are content. i know looking at all of the facts angers you greatly, but get used to it. try looking at the entire game over his career. it's not just about sacks as you think

it's expected for woodley to play well. there are 61 million reasons why.

polamalubeast
10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
when did i say or imply such a thing? when woodley plays poorly you are content. .

no

It was bad against the Texans and he has no excuse.....But Woodley has always had slow start to the season in his career.

But it is a TOP 5 in the NFL has its position and I like most about him is that he is a great clutch player.

The Duke
10-20-2011, 06:06 PM
no

It was bad against the Texans and he has no excuse.....But Woodley has always had slow start to the season in his career.

But it is a TOP 5 in the NFL has its position and I like most about him is that he is a great clutch player.

He still has to improve against the run, a lot. He has no excuse for that after 3 years starting

but his pressure is definitely getting more consistent. We need that, especially with Harrison out

Can he handle Nate Solder next week though? Or worse, Sebastian Vollmer may be back. Guy Whimper and Jeremy Bridges aren't exactly great RTs

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2011, 06:23 PM
he's been a great run stuffer in years past, i think it's aaron smith that's been holding him back. Now THAT is a starter that's been playing poorly all season long

Steeldude
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
no

my beef with woodley over the years is consistency(not referring to sacks) and hustle.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 08:56 AM
It's not just sacks. His overall stats are lower in the year and pick-up. It's all there in the stat sheet (I used combined tackles and assists for tackle total) :

Game 1- 3 tackles, pass defensed, 1 sack
Game 2- 3 tackles, .5 sack
Game 3- 5 tackles
Game 4- 5 tackles
Game 5- 3 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 pass defensed, 1 INT
Game 6- 8 tackles, 2 sacks

Games 1-4 16 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 FF
Games 5-16 34 tackles, 8 sacks, 3 PD's, 1 INT (Pick 6), 2 FF's

Games 1-4 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 2 PD's
Games 5-16 28 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 3 PD's 1 FF

2008 He was pretty consistent all year, 60 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 2 PD's, 1 picks, 2 FF's