PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Big Ben's wish list topper: no huddle

stillers4me
10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Ben Roethlisberger wants to run the no-huddle offense more often and admits to some disappointment because his coaches will not let him.

"Yeah, a little bit," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "I feel we can change it up. I think it's a weapon for us, and we just haven't had a chance to get into it yet."...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11293/1183437-66.stm

HometownGal
10-20-2011, 06:38 AM
But the quarterback admits to lobbying Arians to run it "all the time."

While I wouldn't mind seeing it run more often, running it "all the time" is quite a stretch.

siss
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
And in other news:
Grass is Green
Water is wet
My son is cute!

Ben has never been shy about expressing his love for the no huddle. This is not news!

suitanim
10-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Note: This is about the decision of the coaches...plural. That does not mean coach Whiz and coach Arians, it means Arians AND Tomlin. We've seen Arians blamed for who starts (HC's call, not his), dropped passes, missed blocks, bad runs, bad passes, the wind etc, etc...let's please not lay the blame for not running the no-huddle enough solely with him as well. The (unfortunately, inevitable) ignorant and myopic hatred of all Steelers OC's aside, there's no reason to let this drift out of the realm of reality. Again.

fansince'76
10-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Note: This is about the decision of the coaches...plural. That does not mean coach Whiz and coach Arians, it means Arians AND Tomlin. We've seen Arians blamed for who starts (HC's call, not his), dropped passes, missed blocks, bad runs, bad passes, the wind etc, etc...let's please not lay the blame for not running the no-huddle enough solely with him as well. The (unfortunately, inevitable) ignorant and myopic hatred of all Steelers OC's aside, there's no reason to let this drift out of the realm of reality. Again.

Nope, according to more enlightened sources elsewhere, this is all the doing of that idiot Arians and nobody else. Which begs the question of why Ben would supposedly save the job of an OC (on multiple occasions, no less) who obviously holds the offense back so much, according to the same sources. It's a puzzler, indeed....

suitanim
10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Nope, according to more enlightened sources elsewhere, this is all the doing of that idiot Arians and nobody else. Which begs the question of why Ben would supposedly save the job of an OC (on multiple occasions, no less) who obviously holds the offense back so much, according to the same sources. It's a puzzler, indeed....

Interesting conundrum. Ben said this:

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well."

Which confuses me. Doesn't Ben know that Arians is like the worst OC ever? That, literally, high school line coaches and random football posters on message boards know more than him? Doesn't Ben realize that all his own calls always work, and all Arians calls fail? How can he call Arians " A good coordinator"? I'm sorry, Ben is clearly delusional, which makes me wonder if we can trust him to call his own plays????

DEW Steelers
10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Frankly, no huddles frustrates many defenses. As a coach, I know that there are situations I like to see and also design plays to set up the defense. Often times a player is not in a position to think 3 and 4 plays down the line. It's all situational. I think we can do it more, no doubt. I am so glad Tomlin is there vs Cowher, we actually have a chance now on 3rd down.

Every qb worth their salt wants to run no huddle. I personally think we need to run it every 3 or 4 possessions to keep the defense on their toes.

Chidi29
10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Interesting conundrum. Ben said this:

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well."

Which confuses me. Doesn't Ben know that Arians is like the worst OC ever? That, literally, high school line coaches and random football posters on message boards know more than him? Doesn't Ben realize that all his own calls always work, and all Arians calls fail? How can he call Arians " A good coordinator"? I'm sorry, Ben is clearly delusional, which makes me wonder if we can trust him to call his own plays????

And that you can, of course, run the no huddle on the road in a dome every single down.

There are no consequences to that.

GodfatherofSoul
10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
My wish list: Run the ball until the opposite team proves they can stop it and forget about pretending to be Peyton.

SteelerEmpire
10-20-2011, 06:40 PM
While I wouldn't mind seeing it run more often, running it "all the time" is quite a stretch.

IF you can master it, it can pay dividends. Sam Bradford and the 2006 OU Sooners ran an 'all the time' no huddle... and subsequently broke the NCAA record for most points scored in a single season: 702. They averaged around 60 points a game... Ben 'may' be on to something.

ALLD
10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Plus the speed of the game will wear down the other defense.

zulater
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
If Ben takes his game to a new level next year once there's a new offensive coordinater onboard it will be interesting where the conversation might go? :heh:

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
If Ben takes his game to a new level next year once there's a new offensive coordinater onboard it will be interesting where the conversation might go? :heh:

what's funny. that's the truth.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
However, within three games, the same fans will be saying all the same things. It's been this way forever. Simply take any sentence or paragraph posted here that bashes Arians over the last 3-4 years, and insert the next OC's (or the last, for that matter...no difference) name instead of Arians. When the offense works, the players are congratulated, when it doesn't ______ is to blame. ____runs too much. _____doesn't run enough. _____ passes too much. _____ doesn't pass enough. _____ is grab-bag. _______ is predictable.

zulater
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
However, within three games, the same fans will be saying all the same things. It's been this way forever. Simply take any sentence or paragraph posted here that bashes Arians over the last 3-4 years, and insert the next OC's (or the last, for that matter...no difference) name instead of Arians. When the offense works, the players are congratulated, when it doesn't ______ is to blame. ____runs too much. _____doesn't run enough. _____ passes too much. _____ doesn't pass enough. _____ is grab-bag. _______ is predictable.

I never bashed Whiz or Chan Gailey. I think they were far and away our best OC's in the past twenty years, and that's why they have always been heavily pursued when they've been available. I also liked Mularkey for the most part. But I'll admit I cashed out on him after a particularly pass happy display on a windy inclimate day in the Meadowlands with Tommy Maddox tripping all over himself.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm not directing this at any particular person, just a general observation.

Generally speaking, Whiz was ripped on frequently, especially for his gadget plays. Those are high risk/high reward plays, and I don't think people understood that so much. They aren't plays with a high probability of succeeding, but when they did, they were almost always for big hits.

Also, generally speaking, I think Chan Gailey was hated far more than Arians is. I remember long threads, on multiple boards, loaded with derisive hatred for the man, and I distinctly remember people literally wanting to KILL him after games where the O sputtered. That was really unfair, since Gailey had Kordella to work with.

fansince'76
10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Gailey was hated far more than Arians is. I remember long threads, on multiple boards, loaded with derisive hatred for the man, and I distinctly remember people literally wanting to KILL him after games where the O sputtered. That was really unfair, since Gailey had Kordella to work with.

I remember those as well. They usually came after one of Korkie's typical 8-for-35, 50-yard, 0 TD/4 INT performances....

suitanim
10-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I remember those as well. They usually came after one of Korkie's typical 8-for-35, 50-yard, 0 TD/4 INT performances....

The Kordoza line. As far as I'm concerned, Gailey deserves to be in the HOF for taking a WR and shaping him into a guy who could reach a QBR of 75. No mean feat...

fansince'76
10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Steelers points scored per game by year:

Gailey era (1996 - 1997)

1996: 21.5

1997: 23.3

Whisenhunt era (2004 - 2006)

2004: 23.3

2005: 24.3

2006: 22.1

Arians era (2007 - present)

2007: 24.6

2008: 21.7

2009: 23.0

2010: 23.4

Don't see a whole lot of difference in those numbers....

zulater
10-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Steelers points scored per game by year:

Gailey era (1996 - 1997)

1996: 21.5

1997: 23.3

Whisenhunt era (2004 - 2006)

2004: 23.3

2005: 24.3

2006: 22.1

Arians era (2007 - present)

2007: 24.6

2008: 21.7

2009: 23.0

2010: 23.4

Don't see a whole lot of difference in those numbers....

It depends, what was the seasonal average for the league overall for those years?

zulater
10-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Just looking real quick it looks as if the 2005 team which scored 3.7 points per game more than the league average was the best of the years highlighted. Also in Whiz's 3 years the Steelers were always at least 2 points per game over league average, while the 2008 Arians offense was actually .3 points per game under the league average.

86WARD
10-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Agree with Ben here.

suitanim
10-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Gailey: 96/97 Good record in regular season (21-11). 96 Beat the Colts in first playoff, got blown out by Pats in second. Overall, 11-7.
97 11-5 regular season. 1-1 Playoffs. 23-13 overall. No championships.

Whiz: 04-06. 15-1, 11-5 (Super Bowl) and 8-8. 34-18 overall. If you remember, we were blown out by NE again in the playoffs in the 15-1 year. He did win an AFCC and SB title. But he was also 8-8 in his last year.

Arians: 07-present. 43-23 regular season. Also won a SB and TWO AFCC's. His resume is still being written. But, as far as winning, especially wiining in the playoffs and championships, Arians is the best of the bunch so far.

zulater
10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Gailey: 96/97 Good record in regular season (21-11). 96 Beat the Colts in first playoff, got blown out by Pats in second. Overall, 11-7.
97 11-5 regular season. 1-1 Playoffs. 23-13 overall. No championships.

Whiz: 04-06. 15-1, 11-5 (Super Bowl) and 8-8. 34-18 overall. If you remember, we were blown out by NE again in the playoffs in the 15-1 year. He did win an AFCC and SB title. But he was also 8-8 in his last year.

Arians: 07-present. 43-23 regular season. Also won a SB and TWO AFCC's. His resume is still being written. But, as far as winning, especially wiining in the playoffs and championships, Arians is the best of the bunch so far.

Gailey had to do it with Tomczak in 96, (15 td, 17 int, 55.4%, 71.8 rtg) and Kordell in 97 and won playoff games both years. Taking nothing away from whiz or B.A, but that's a freaking minor miracle!

fansince'76
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Oh, the irony....

1. we have a offensive coaching staff that is very stubborn on calling plays to our QBs strengths. WHERE ARE THE SCREENS AND ROLL-OUTS. Whiz is just too stubborn to make any notable changes to his schemes, and you wonder why Leinart and Anderson looked so bad. He is not a coach that has a strong relationship with his QBs...heck even Warner was alienated by him..you see Pitt let Whiz go...they didn't force Ben to change..they got Ben a new coordinator that was open minded not stuck on his system.

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?p=843248#post843248

Arians is open-minded and not stubborn, like Whiz. :lol: :lol: :lol:

suitanim
10-24-2011, 11:45 AM
LOL again...Don't they know how horrible the screen pass is?

Chidi29
10-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh, the irony....

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?p=843248#post843248

Arians is open-minded and not stubborn, like Whiz. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is remarkable how similar the comments are. Lack of rollouts? Heard it. Screens? Check. Stubborn? Oh yeah.

fansince'76
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
It is remarkable how similar the comments are. Lack of rollouts? Heard it. Screens? Check. Stubborn? Oh yeah.

Hell, the complaints are practically verbatim.