PDA

View Full Version : Steelers quarterback plagued by spotty play

stillers4me
10-20-2011, 05:33 AM
When Ben Roethlisberger has been good, he's been real good this year. But when he has been bad, he's been real bad — and it hasn't been unusual to see both happen in the same game.

Even though Roethlisberger is on pace to surpass his career averages in yards, touchdown attempts and completions, his inconsistent play has led the highly regarded Steelers offense to sputter at times through the first six games.

"We all have been up and down, just not the quarterback," receiver Antonio Brown said. "In the process of us being up and down, we are still 4-2."..........

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762811.html

zulater
10-20-2011, 06:31 AM
If you'e plagued by spotty protection you're probably going to be spotty in your play. The more a qb gets hit the more his play will deteriorate, it's true of Brady ( see last two playoff exits), Aaron Rodgers ( see Julius Peppers NFC champ game), any of them. If a qb is getting beat around like a pinata they'll start anticipating contact and will rush their delivery even on plays when it's not necessary. And no qb has as consistently bad protection as Ben. Oh I know the experts all say it's because Ben holds the ball too long and brings it on himself. To a slight degree it's true, put it this way, I'd say it's about 25% on Ben and Arains because of the type of vertical offense the Steelers choose run. But to me the biggest offender is the same as it's been every year since 2006 poor offensive line play. Starting in 2007 you name me the year when the Steelers didn't field at least 3 below average starters on their offensive line? Every year 60% + of offensive line is below average and we're citing Ben for spotty play? Hell we should be thankful that he's not been shell shocked right out of the league, or on to his next NFL city, similar to what happened to Kurt Warner with the Giants.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Spotty protection, spotty running game and dare I say spotty offensive gameplanning. Ben fits right in.

Establish the run, give him protection and the play action will allow time to get a couple deep shots a game. Guy has been to the Super Bowl 3 times. We know he can win, but he isnt playing like a top 5 QB in the league for many reasons.