PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 Steelers look an awful lot like the 2007 Ravens (with a better quarterback)

polamalubeast
10-19-2011, 04:21 PM
2007 kind of sucked. Steve McNair built on his wonderful 2006 campaign by showing again why he was approximately 65 years old. Kyle Boller played (sorry Oakland - this was typed up on Monday). The defense was shredded so badly by injuries that Willie Gaston started two games. Worst of all, Brian Billick lost control of the team and they crashed and burned to the tune of a 5-11 season.

Now, Pittsburgh isn't on pace for a 5-11 season, but they show ome resemblances to the 2007 Ravens, who also started 4-2. Their elite defense is showing signs of age and struggling with tougher opponents while still thoroughly dispatching the NFL's weaklings. The offensive line is a train wreck. I even have questions about Mike Tomlin and his ability to respond to adversity, which has shown to be questionable in the past when promises to unleash hell quickly made them into a laughingstock.

The eery part for me, though, is how those first six games turned out. Remember, the Ravens started 4-2, but like Pittsburgh this year, they did it in a far from inspiring fashion. Each team had the following:

- Embarrassing loss on the road to a strong division rival (Steelers lost 35-7 to Ravens, 07 Ravens lost 27-13 to Browns)

- Road loss that was close according to the scoreboard and did in fact come down to the wire, but despite the close loss the team looked horrible (Steelers lost 17-10 to Texans, 07 Ravens lost 27-20 to Bengals)

- Somewhat inspiring home blowout victory against a scrub (Steelers beat Seahawks 24-0, 07 Ravens beat Rams 22-3)

- Home win against a team that may or may not have been good (Steelers beat Titans 38-17, 07 Ravens beat Cardinals 26-23 - this is the only reach in the group, but to be fair, the Ravens dominated at first and coasted big time)

- Home win where the team appeared to look good, but nearly choked away a big lead against a dreadful team (Steelers beat Jaguars 17-13, 07 Ravens beat Jets 20-13 (thank you Justin McCareins))

- Utterly pathetic road win against an utterly pathetic opponent (Steelers beat Colts 23-20, 07 Ravens beat the Trent Dilfer led 49ers 9-7 (yes, Trent Dilfer was still playing in 2007))

Now, again, they have Big Ben and that's what's going to prevent them from descending into ineptitude. However, the problems of the 2007 Ravens went way beyond the quarterback position, and I see a lot of those similarities looming for Pittsburgh. Wins are wins, but they're playing ugly games on a consistent basis and that's a huge concern.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=465474

Do you agree?

that's a huge concern for me

st33lersguy
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I ddon't think this team is 5-11 bad but this team has glaring weaknesses and it should surprise no one if this Steeler team misses the playoffs

fansince'76
10-19-2011, 04:31 PM
1995 Steelers: 4-4 start, including two blowout losses at home against the Vikings and Bengals, with a MUCH worse QB under center.

The result? An 11-5 finish and a Super Bowl appearance and loss thanks to said QB throwing the damn game away.

My point? What the Ravens did in '07 and the Steelers did in '95 doesn't mean jack as far as how the Steelers do this year.

Count Steeler
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Not even close. We will hit our stride soon, hopefully remain healthy, and play real Steelers football through December and into the playoffs.

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
No I don't agree, at all.

All that concerns me is beating the Cardinals this weekend. What the Hapless up and down every other year never consistent Ravens did or have done or will do means NOTHING to me. They are a worthless piece of crap organization that has won the AFC north TWO times since 2000. We have won it SIX. Fck them. They WISH they were comparable to us. They are NOT.

O'Malley
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Apples and rotten oranges... Never compare the Steelers to the Rats.... There's no comparison..

The Duke
10-19-2011, 06:30 PM
My point? What the Ravens did in '07 and the Steelers did in '95 doesn't mean jack as far as how the Steelers do this year.

this

no team, no season is similar. Simply way too many factors to take into consideration

steelerdude15
10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Can we please stop comparing this team to other teams of the past? Each year is different and anything is possible.

SteelGhost
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Nope. You shall NEVER compare the Steelers to the rats my son :old: :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
10-20-2011, 05:19 AM
The Ravens, their coach and Flacco beat the jinx of "not being able to beat the Steelers when Ben is playing" this year. So the Steelers should beat the jinx of "a Super Bowl hangover"... You shouldn't believe in jinx's, it's bad luck.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Steelers have a relatively easy schedule. Games against Pats, Ravens, 49ers should be tough, but the rest are Browns x2, Bengals x2, Rams, Chefs, Cardinals.

Still quite possible to go 11-5 or 12-4 and still not win the AFC North. But, last week we saw there are no gimme's in the NFL

suitanim
10-20-2011, 09:54 AM
This comparison will make more sense if it comes true at the end of the season. I don't think anyone really knows how good this team is, and we will have a much better idea after we play the Pats (who have a terrible defense and are very beatable, by the way) and Rats, who, if we can't beat at home with the revenge factor in play, signifies major problems.

BigNastyDefense
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
First, you cannot compare two different teams from two different seasons, much less the same team from different seasons.

The Steelers defense is starting to turn the corner, I think once we have Timmons back in the middle our run defense will pick back up.

The Steelers could still go 11-5 or 12-4 this year. The Steelers are 4-2, not 2-4. I am not ready to concede the division to the Ravens, they still have to come to our house on November 6th for a primetime game.....when's the last time Baltimore won a primetime game in Pittsburgh?

Dino 6 Rings
10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
This comparison will make more sense if it comes true at the end of the season. I don't think anyone really knows how good this team is, and we will have a much better idea after we play the Pats (who have a terrible defense and are very beatable, by the way) and Rats, who, if we can't beat at home with the revenge factor in play, signifies major problems.

The Pats Defense in the Redzone is not too shabby, that's the key to beating them. You must score TDs in the Redzone and keep pace with their "Welker Brady" offense. Honestly, Ike needs to just be put on Welker the entire game, and Troy needs to cover the TEs (they killed us with the TE last time we played them, and TEs kill the Cover 2 defense, which folks, we are kind of running if you really pay attention. Its a hybrid 3/4 Cover 2 this season. Stopping the pass, allowing the Run a little more than normal.)