PDA

View Full Version : NFL official; Polamalu, subject to a fine. Tomlin: hopes "common sense would prevail"

zulater
10-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Polamalu has a history of concussions dating back to high school. That is something that could indirectly lead to the six-time Pro Bowler getting fined by the NFL.

After getting hurt, Polamalu borrowed a cell phone from one of the team doctors to call his wife, Theodora. He violated league rules by making a call from the sidelines, and an NFL spokesman said Polamalu is subject to a fine for the transgression.

Tomlin said he hopes "common sense would prevail" when the league decides whether or not to fine Polamalu.

"It wasn't a personal call. He wasn't checking on his bank account," Tomlin said. "He was talking to his wife to let her know that he was fine."

Polamalu was fined $15,0000 earlier this season for making a horse-collar tackle in a Sept. 11 game against the Ravens.

When asked if he will have an issue if the league fines Polamalu for the phone call, Tomlin said, "I don't have a problem with anything. I'm not anticipating anything. All I said was I would hope common sense prevails in an era of player safety such as we're in."

Read more: Steelers safety expected to play this week - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_762483.html#ixzz1bDpstnS3

stillers4me
10-19-2011, 05:51 AM
I know I've seen Troy using a cell after an injury before. Is this a fairly new rule?

And surprise, surprise........ that dickhead Florio is the one leading posse against Troy.

zulater
10-19-2011, 05:53 AM
I know I've seen Troy using a cell after an injury before. Is this a fairly new rule?

And surprise, surprise........ that dickhead Florio is the one leading posse against Troy.

You got the link handy?

GoSlash27
10-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Tomlin said he hopes "common sense would prevail" when the league decides whether or not to fine Polamalu.

BWAAAHAHAH! Yeah, *That'll* happen...

zulater
10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/16/polamalu-could-be-facing-fine-for-in-game-cell-phone-use/

After Steelers safety Troy Polamalu got his bell rung on Sunday, his phone apparently was ringing.

So he answered.

Highlights of the game shown during NBC’s Football Night in America show Polamalu talking on what appears to be a Blackberry smart phone.

The next call could come from the league office, since players and staff are prohibited from using cell phones on the sideline during games. More than five years ago, former Falcons coach Jim Mora was fined a whopping $25,000 for using a cell phone during a game against the Buccaneers.

In 2003, former Saints receiver Joe Horn also was fined $30,000 for using a cell phone as a prop during a touchdown celebration.

The worst part is even after Florio got more information and was made aware that it wasn't Troy's phone he still doesn't back off his stance. :doh: The examples he cites aren't even remotely comparable to this situation.

GBMelBlount
10-19-2011, 06:31 AM
I fully expected this. Fortunately it should not affect Troy's retirment planning.

If they make an exception for Troy then the risk of other "extenuating circmstances" for cell phone use may increase.

43Hitman
10-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Rules are rules, Troy will more than likely be fined. If he had gone to the locker room to make the call, it wouldn't be a problem.

zulater
10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Rules are rules, Troy will more than likely be fined. If he had gone to the locker room to make the call, it wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah it makes the league look bad that a player would call his wife due to an injury concern, almost as bad as two coaches acting like douche bags on a simple post game handshake. But being as we hold players to a higher standard of conduct than coaches or executives in Goodell's NFL I'm sure Troy will be slapped down accordingly.

43Hitman
10-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Yeah it makes the league look bad that a player would call his wife due to an injury concern, almost as bad as two coaches acting like douche bags on a simple post game handshake. But being as we hold players to a higher standard of conduct than coaches or executives in Goodell's NFL I'm sure Troy will be slapped down accordingly.

I hear ya man, I don't necessarily agree with it, just given the NFL's track record with these things I expect a fine to be levied.

zulater
10-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I hear ya man, I don't necessarily agree with it, just given the NFL's track record with these things I expect a fine to be levied.

I do too. But I think they'd be wise to heed Tomlin's advice and apply a little common sense to the situation. Give Troy a warning, send a memo throughout the league that cell phone use is discouraged except in the most extreme of situations ( which this wasn't) and get on with life. I mean here we are with the league dressed out in pink, and we're thinking of fining a player because he was concerned about his wife? :doh:

43Hitman
10-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I do too. But I think they'd be wise to heed Tomlin's advice and apply a little common sense to the situation. Give Troy a warning, send a memo throughout the league that cell phone use is discouraged except in the most extreme of situations ( which this wasn't) and get on with life. I mean here we are with the league dressed out in pink, and we're thinking of fining a player because he was concerned about his wife? :doh:

It would be a bad PR move for sure. Especially if the Steelers could paint it in the same light you just did. lol.

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2011, 08:30 AM
go on and fine him...I love it when you PISS US OFF!

fansince'76
10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
But I think they'd be wise to heed Tomlin's advice and apply a little common sense to the situation.

Fat chance.

Devilsdancefloor
10-19-2011, 10:03 AM
All I said was I would hope common sense prevails in an era of player safety such as we're in."

lets hope this happens after all we are about player safety.... (go gett'em coach T) as dino said go ahead fine him piss us off

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I fully expect him to be fined. The NFL front office doesn't have any common sense, especially when it comes to fining/suspending Steelers.

tube517
10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cdncOAfTL3Om/439x.jpg

"Told you that British cigarette Goodhell will fine you" :chuckle:

BigNastyDefense
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
While it would be smart for the league to give Troy a warning and send a memo out to all teams telling them that cell phone use on the sidelines is not allowed and that if a player, coach, or member of the medical staff need to make a phone call to go into the locker room.

The league is all about player "safety" (bullshit IMHO), and have players decked out in pink this month for breast cancer awareness....and they want to fine a guy because he was worried about his wife after he got hurt, and he wanted to let her know that he was fine.

This isn't Joe Horn using a cell phone as a prop in a touchdown celebration. If the league cannot tell the difference, then this league is in even more trouble than I thought.

steel striker
10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Polamalu has a history of concussions dating back to high school. That is something that could indirectly lead to the six-time Pro Bowler getting fined by the NFL.

After getting hurt, Polamalu borrowed a cell phone from one of the team doctors to call his wife, Theodora. He violated league rules by making a call from the sidelines, and an NFL spokesman said Polamalu is subject to a fine for the transgression.

"It wasn't a personal call. He wasn't checking on his bank account," Tomlin said. "He was talking to his wife to let her know that he was fine."

Polamalu was fined $15,0000 earlier this season for making a horse-collar tackle in a Sept. 11 game against the Ravens.

When asked if he will have an issue if the league fines Polamalu for the phone call, Tomlin said, "I don't have a problem with anything. I'm not anticipating anything. All I said was I would hope common sense prevails in an era of player safety such as we're in."

Read more: Steelers safety expected to play this week - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_762483.html#ixzz1bDpstnS3

Chances are slim & none and, slim just left town. Not to mention Worthless Roger can't wait to fine a steeler.

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2011, 03:16 PM
This isn't Joe Horn using a cell phone as a prop in a touchdown celebration. If the league cannot tell the difference, then this league is in even more trouble than I thought.

The league can't tell the difference because they're clueless and he's a Steeler so he'll get fined.

tube517
10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
While it would be smart for the league to give Troy a warning and send a memo out to all teams telling them that cell phone use on the sidelines is not allowed and that if a player, coach, or member of the medical staff need to make a phone call to go into the locker room.

The league is all about player "safety" (bullshit IMHO), and have players decked out in pink this month for breast cancer awareness....and they want to fine a guy because he was worried about his wife after he got hurt, and he wanted to let her know that he was fine.

We're way past that w/this clown as commish.

Count Steeler
10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Can't see how Goodell doesn't fine him now. If this is his first offense, maybe he gets a warning, but with all the attention, it is a prime opportunity for Goodell to make a statement. Troy should have just let the doctor make the call and put it on speaker phone.

This is just another silly waste of time and money.

HometownGal
10-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Troy should have just let the doctor make the call and put it on speaker phone.

This is just another silly waste of time and money.

I agree. If this is indeed a bonafide official "rule", that would have been the best thing to do and this wouldn't even be an issue.

oneforthetoe
10-19-2011, 05:09 PM
5th round pick to the Patriots.

Craic
10-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree. If this is indeed a bonafide official "rule", that would have been the best thing to do and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Exactly. I think it's great to see how much his wife cares for him and loves him that she will call him like that, I also think it says a lot about his character that he will talk to her even in the middle of the game.

But when you're dealing with almost 1800 players plus coaches, etc. sitting on the sidelines, a rule is a rule.

What I think we ALSO have to remember is... cell phones can be used to call in to a player from anywhere in the country, "Hey, we picked up the last set of signals. If ______ then be ready for ______. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this is an anti-Patriot's rule, especially since they're broadcasting calls so much more clearly now.

That, and it's an advertising issue. Yeah, I know, Money, money, money. But don't forget, those are also legal contracts that are signed for advertising purposes. I would imagine that those who do their advertising with the Network, have a lot of stipulations about what can and cannot be seen around the time their product airs. That means the network will have the same things with the NFL I'd imagine.

I could be very wrong, but I wouldn't doubt that both of these are issues.

steelpinstripe87
10-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Yeah, except they probably didn't want him walking to the locker room. He got his bell rung. The stadium was probably in orbit for him. Also, people who have just been hit in the head like that probably don't think things through like, "Oh, should I go to the locker room to make this phone call?"