PDA

View Full Version : Steelers not winning battle for turnovers

stillers4me
10-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Most football coaches agree that the most telling statistic in any game or season is the turnover. Lose more than you gain and you will lose more than you win.

Over the past decade, every time the Steelers have secured more turnovers than they lost, they have made the playoffs. The three times over the past 10 seasons in which they lost more than they recovered, they did not make the playoffs..............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11292/1183100-66.stm

zulater
10-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Why the Steelers didn't finish nearly as well as they started last Sunday against Jacksonville:

"Defensively, I thought we lacked a signature play, the defining play, a turnover play. Offensively, we didn't convert third downs in the second half. And if you give them (an extra) possession in the kicking game, you are going to give them a chance to get back into the game. It is not anything mystical. We can't allow those things to happen individually, let alone collectively, and that is what happened."

Read more: Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762587.html#ixzz1bDsry89w

zulater
10-19-2011, 05:47 AM
My own personal take. As has often been said, turnovers are like banana's, they come in bunches. The Steelers aren't doing anything different than they've always done, the ball just hasn't been bouncing their way yet this season. Hopefully we're due for an avalanche of them soon.

GBMelBlount
10-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Over the past decade, every time the Steelers have secured more turnovers than they lost, they have made the playoffs. The three times over the past 10 seasons in which they lost more than they recovered, they did not make the playoffs..............read more @

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11292/1183100-66.stm

wow.

Zulater

My own personal take. As has often been said, turnovers are like banana's, they come in bunches. The Steelers aren't doing anything different than they've always done, the ball just hasn't been bouncing their way yet this season. Hopefully we're due for an avalanche of them soon.

I will have to respectfully disagree. While the ball may not be bouncing their way as often I think the majority of turnovers are a direct and indirect result of the abysmal play by the offensive line.

zulater
10-19-2011, 06:58 AM
wow.

I will have to respectfully disagree. While the ball may not be bouncing their way as often I think the majority of turnovers are a direct and indirect result of the abysmal play by the offensive line.

I was talking more on the defensive side. Offensively yeah I agree, we brought those upon ourselves with shoddy offensive line play. But defensively I think we're creating some havoc out there, and sooner or later the ball's going to start bouncing our way and we'll get our turnovers.

polamalubeast
10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
The offense has only made ​​5 turnovers since week 2, including three against the Colts in the 2nd quarter.

On defense, only 2 turnovers create in 6 games, it's very bad.

The Ravens scored 54 points because of turnovers this year.

The Duke
10-19-2011, 08:36 AM
I'd rather they stay on their assignments than try to force an INT an give up a play

turnovers will come. They are not allowing a lot of points which is all I care. The offense has been taking better care of the ball, but they could still be more consistent

zulater
10-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Last season the Steelers forced 42 turnovers. I really don't think anything's changed that much, I think they'll start coming soon.

polamalubeast
10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Last season the Steelers forced 42 turnovers. I really don't think anything's changed that much, I think they'll start coming soon.

I hope!

polamalubeast
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
I'd rather they stay on their assignments than try to force an INT an give up a play

turnovers will come. They are not allowing a lot of points which is all I care. The offense has been taking better care of the ball, but they could still be more consistent

The Steelers defense is good right now, but they are not dominant, because does not create turnover.

The Ravens defense is very dominant right now.

Dino 6 Rings
10-20-2011, 03:35 PM

and got None in the game it mattered the most in. -3 in the Biggest game of the year. Still mad about that.

Count Steeler
10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I'll take wins as the most telling statistic. 4-2 the way we have played is fine by me. Still believing that we will hit our stride sooner rather than later.

SCSTILLER
10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Like someone said, the defense just isn't getting the bounces right now. Troy has had several INT's fly by him because he was coming up to make the tackle and could react fast enough, and a few of those would have been pick six. Plus, the last Indy touchdown was close where Troy somewhat stripped the handoff. As soon as these balls start bouncing our way we will get the "signature" play that we are missing. Personally I think that with so many teams running the 3-4 defensive scheme we are running out or original idea's and new schemes to throw at people because it has been seen before, and that is the reason we are struggling right now, not turnovers.

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Nose tackle Chris Hoke may not regain the strength in his arm from a "stinger" he sustained Sunday, and it appears Casey Hampton also will miss his third consecutive game with a shoulder injury. That means Steve McLendon could make his first NFL start Sunday in Arizona, at nose tackle.

OMFG WHAT

The Steelers added a nose tackle to their practice squad because of the injuries to Hampton and Hoke, Elisha Joseph.

and who the heck is this kid

X-Terminator
10-20-2011, 07:00 PM
McLendon has played fairly decently in the limited time he's been on the field, but that was as a sub or playing against fry cooks in the preseason. I have no idea how he'll do as a starter, but we just may find out.