PDA

View Full Version : 6 games in.

zulater
10-18-2011, 05:24 PM
6 games in, more than 1/3 of the regular season already done, so time to do some early season awards. :chuckle:

MVP. Troy Polamalu. Easily! I know some people will focus in on a few plays he didn't make. But to do that is to miss sight of all the plays he's made. Troy is flying around the field, making plays all over the field. I know he doesn't have any picks yet, ( they will come) but damn this guy is playing as good as he's ever done in his career, and that's obviously saying something.

Best offensive player. Mike Wallace. Another easy one to choose. And to think he's just starting to come into his own. ( whatever that cliche means? :noidea: :heh: )

Unsung hero offense. Heath Miller. He's getting more opportunities in the passing game this season, and his blocking is still top rate. The most complete tight end in the game.

Unsung hero defense. Ike Taylor. Off to a great start, if he could catch he would be recognized as an elite corner.

Honorable mention. Chris Hoke. the Steelers are 17-1 in games he's started. Coincidence?

Most improved player offense. Antonio Brown. From a bit player to one fo the league's most dangerous return men, and an improving receiver.

Most improved player defense. Keenan Lewis. Not picture perfect, but looks as if he belongs in the league now, and seems to be a competent starter.

Most disappointing. Emanuel Sanders. The injury obviously has set him back, but still I expected more from him this season.

In season resurgence award. James Farrior. the first 4 games Potsie looked like Shotsie, but the past two games Farrior looks like the solid ILB we've come to expect. :thumbsup:

Jury still out on award. Aaron Smith. Early returns aren't promising, and his being injured doesn't help his cause, but I still hold out hope that he can turn his season around.

Comeback award. Max Stacks. Great for 7 quarters. I'm attributing his last quarter to fatigue.

Worst Steeler booby prize. Two weeks ago it would have been Jonathan Scott, but he seems to have found himself at right tackle. So with regret I give it to Chris Kemoeatu. Way too inconsistent and probably the teams biggest underperformer as per God given talent.

Count Steeler
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I got a feeling Smith may not play again. Definitely won't be a starter.

st33lersguy
10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
6 games in, one legitimate win and a lot of concerns about this team. This team could easily be 2-4

zulater
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
6 games in, one legitimate win and a lot of concerns about this team. This team could easily be 2-4

Yeah and the Lions could be 2-4, and the Cowboys could be 5-1, so on and so forth. As Bill Parcells famously said, you are your record. The Steelers are 4-2 period.

fansince'76
10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah and the Lions could be 2-4, and the Cowboys could be 5-1, so on and so forth. As Bill Parcells famously said, you are your record. The Steelers are 4-2 period.

This.

NCSteeler
10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
If Ike could catch we couldn't afford him, there would have been a bidding war on his 2nd contract and he would be a Redskin or Eagle by now.

zulater
10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
I should have figured out a way to fit Brett Keisel in there somewhere! :doh: The last two games he's been an absolute beast. In fact except for the games he missed over injury, he's probably been the most consistent Steeler.

polamalubeast
10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
In 2009, the Steelers could be 14-2 if they had not had many close losses.

zulater
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
In 2009, the Steelers could be 14-2 if they had not had many close losses.

That's pretty much the story of every season. The line between winning and losing is a thin one. As long as you find a way to win the game you're supposed to, no matter how ugly, you put yourself in a position to play for it all in the end.

I honestly believe that once this team finds it's stride, and if it gets a little bit lucky in regards to overall team health, it's as good or better than last year's team.

The biggest hurdle this year is probably going to be the Ravens, who I believe are the team to beat in the AFC this year. Of course that's assuming that the Steelers will get their own house in order. That of course is just as big of hurdle as the rest of the AFC.

Anyway overall I'm seeing signs that this team is coming around and I genuinely believe we'll be poised to make a deep run in the playoffs again.