PDA

View Full Version : if I play GM for a second, here is what I try to do...

TomlinSteelTribe
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi, I'm new on this site but always like to keep up on the Black 'n' Gold. I've been reading the forums here since ESPN's have become a mess; It's good to know where the die-hards are!

So, what's the state of the Nation...

4-2 isn't bad, but we'll really know where we stand three weeks from now. I don't think any of us are really "believers" yet in this year's team. The potential is there, though.

The o-line is still cause for major concern. One good game for every six played won't cut it. Not if the Steelers want to make noise in the AFC. Roethlisberger isn't a pup anymore and shrugging off LB'ers will become rarer as he gets older. It's time for the FO to make moves. They've hit the jackpot on mid-late round WRs in the last few years, and it's time to ship one out in exchange for o-line help. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of "Young Money," but this is about what's best for the Steelers.

I wouldn't trade Wallace for anything right now, but Brown or Sanders (whichever I could get a decent young OG for) I'd be willing to part with. Just one, mind you. The Steelers brought in Cotchery during the pre-season but he isn't seeing the field much, making our WR depth somewhat ridiculous. A team with Cotchery as the #4 WR is doing just fine, which would be the case if Brown or Sanders were traded. I know the edges might be the weakest areas of our line, but perhaps strengthening the middle would have an effect on the outside. I don't expect we could acquire an OT for a WR, but perhaps an OG is within the realm of possibility.

I don't know, am I completely out there with this idea? Maybe package a draft pick with the WR...

Sorry for being so audacious as to start a thread with my first post, but I didn't know exactly where this might be relevant in the existing threads. Hope everyone's good out there. Here we go Steelers!

SteelerEmpire
10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Welcome TST !

But there are 4 things this organization will NOT do:
1- Upgrade the message board at Steelers.com
2- Upgrade the team's O-Coordinator
3- Upgrade the DB's
4- Build a quality offensive line in front of Ben

... we've been crying about all 4 for years... :doh:

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the board! :drink:

The only problem I see with trading Brown or Sanders is that Ward probably won't be around much longer. I'm all for trying to get more OL help, though.

They're gonna have to act fast to beat the trade deadline tomorrow at 4 PM EST.

salamander
10-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the board!

As much as I would love to see the Steelers get some o-line help, I really don't see them making any moves any time soon. This is one time I would like to be wrong though.

TomlinSteelTribe
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, you're right, the clock is ticking. Perhaps, it's completely ludicrous to think a team would trade an OG for a WR, I don't know. There's a part of me that would pay a lot of money to be in on the FO conversations (I'm sure I'm among many here). I just don't honestly see us being among the best with this o-line. Sure, they'll have a good game here and there. But stringing together (at least) 3 wins in the postseason against high caliber opponents seems unlikely with the current group. Maybe with a 24 y.o. Ben or some of the defensive units in the past few seasons, but, unfortunately, these aren't realities.

TomlinSteelTribe
10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the "welcomes" too. Here we go Steelers!

The Duke
10-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Established receivers like Santonio Holmes and Brandon Lloyd went for a 5th and 6th. Won't get more than a backup guard (and we have plenty of those ) for 2 backup receivers in their second year

Jamaal Brown, not a spectacular Tackle, went for a 3rd last year

I would trade a 3-4th rounder for someone like Zach Strief from the Saints

Welcome btw:wave:

tube517
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Welcome TST !

But there are 4 things this organization will NOT do:
1- Upgrade the message board at Steelers.com
2- Upgrade the team's O-Coordinator
3- Upgrade the DB's
4- Build a quality offensive line in front of Ben
5- Find a kicker who will kick the football out of the end zone
6 - Get rid of Steely McBeam and Jonathan Scott

... we've been crying about all 4 for years... :doh:

Fixed it for you.

:chuckle:

7willBheaven
10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
No.

BigNastyDefense
10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't see is trading one of our Young Money receivers for an OL for the following reasons:

1. Ward isn't playing past 2013, and if we win the Super Bowl before then, he's gone after that Super Bowl. Cotchery as your fourth receiver is fine, as your third and you have no receiver depth. Plus Sanders and Brown are both dangerous on kick and punt returns.

2. Brandon Lloyd was traded for a conditional sixth or fifth round pick. Santonio Holmes was traded for a fifth round pick. Receivers normally aren't all that valuable in trades because you can find good ones outside of the first and second round (look at Wallace, Sanders, and Brown...none of them went before the third round).

3. It's not often offensive linemen are traded, especially during the season. The offensive line is a unit that really has to work at a team, and needs to gel. Part of the reason Max Starks fit in just fine is because he knows this system, he knows the plays, the line calls, and the protections. But when you have someone coming in who is going from one team to another with no training camp or anything, it can be worse than staying with what you have.

4. Who out there is available for trade that is actually an upgrade over what we have? Anyone we get would be a backup at best, so why trade a receiver who has starter caliber for a guy no better than what's currently on the roster?

And BTW, welcome TST!

oneforthetoe
10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Ok, stick with me for a minute. Antonio Brown in a 3 team trade for John Kuhn and Tony Hills. HUh, whatcha think? Oh, and we can cut Scott and bring back Limas.

CHAMPIONSHIP.

BTW - Welcome TST

X-Terminator
10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
First of all, welcome TST! Secondly, we do not have any problem with anyone starting a thread with their first post, especially one like this that will get the ol' brains churning. We are a family, not a clique like you see on other forums.

Again, welcome and enjoy! :tt02:

Texasteel
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
The steelers way is with the draft, and I do expect for the first 3 picks this year to be linemen. Probably two on the oline and one on the dline. ( I hope anyway). We just don't have a large history of trades even tho when we have it has normally turned out pretty darn good. We have just not taken the oline into account, seriously untill the last 2 years. We still do have a long ways to go, but I would be surprised it we do it with a trade. I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, just that I can't see it happening.

Welcome on board, got to see you posting right off, and keep it up.

HollywoodSteel
10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Established receivers like Santonio Holmes and Brandon Lloyd went for a 5th and 6th. Won't get more than a backup guard (and we have plenty of those ) for 2 backup receivers in their second year

Jamaal Brown, not a spectacular Tackle, went for a 3rd last year

I would trade a 3-4th rounder for someone like Zach Strief from the Saints

Welcome btw:wave:

BTW, can someone explain the Brandon Lloyd trade to me? Did he say something about John Elway's mom or something?

And welcome to the board, TST!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Trade is doubtful to happen for anything but draft picks. IMO.

Kraig Urbik looked pretty good for the Bills on Sunday. Maybe make a play for him. :)

Honestly, maybe if we let Aaron Smith, Mewelde Moore, James Farrior, Chris Hoke and Hines Ward move on next season and looked to the draft again for an OG, or else sign a free agent like Vince Manuwai or somebody to come in and play next year. Cleaning out some old salaries next season is better than panicking this year already.

The Duke
10-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Trade is doubtful to happen for anything but draft picks. IMO.

Kraig Urbik looked pretty good for the Bills on Sunday. Maybe make a play for him. :)

Honestly, maybe if we let Aaron Smith, Mewelde Moore, James Farrior, Chris Hoke and Hines Ward move on next season and looked to the draft again for an OG, or else sign a free agent like Vince Manuwai or somebody to come in and play next year. Cleaning out some old salaries next season is better than panicking this year already.

you probably said it with a bit of sarcasm, but so do Foster and Legursky from time to time

Leg was playing fantastic sunday. Hope he's healthy against the cards

HometownGal
10-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi and welcome to The Universe TomlinSteelTribe! :wave: :drink: :tt02:

GodfatherofSoul
10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd audition cheerleaders. Not to form a squad, just to see how badly they want to be on the team.

Paluma0268
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Fixed it for you.

:lol:

oneforthetoe
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd audition cheerleaders. Not to form a squad, just to see how badly they want to be on the team.

oneforthetoe
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd make Steely McBeam get me coffee, pick up my dry clean, ect., ect,.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-18-2011, 05:37 PM
you probably said it with a bit of sarcasm, but so do Foster and Legursky from time to time

Leg was playing fantastic sunday. Hope he's healthy against the cards

Yes, LOTS of sarcasm.

I believe that Urbik will turn out to be better than Foster or Legursky and probably is already. Its unfortunate that we cut him, but I get it....he didnt outperform Foster or Legursky in camp last year and was gone.

Sad thing for me is that he is in Keenan Lewis' draft class and we give guys like Tony Hills 4 years to develop, but cut Urbik before he could start his 2nd season.