PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall quiets critics

stillers4me
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Wave after wave, various versions of the same question came for Rashard Mendenhall as he was surrounded by cameras and microphones in the Steelers' locker room Sunday.

Did he hear or read his critics all through the week?

"No, not at all," he replied, expressionless.

What about the calls for Isaac Redman and/or Jonathan Dwyer take his place?

"I don't get into all that. We have a great relationship."
Any additional motivation?

"I prepare the same every week. There was nothing different for me."

Any advice from the coaches about maybe changing his style?

"No. After running the same way for 24 years, I don't think you change your running style in a week. This was just business as usual for us."

It sure was business as usual for Mendenhall — at least the 2010 version — in the Steelers' 17-13 closer-than-necessary edging of Jacksonville at Heinz Field. He ran for 146 yards, including an 8-yard pylon dive for the Steelers' first touchdown and a 68-yard burst through left tackle that set up a field goal. It was the fourth-highest rushing total of his career, and it nearly doubled the 173 he mustered in his first four games.

He was outstanding..............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762224.html

zulater
10-17-2011, 11:55 AM
No offense to the OP, but none of us owe Mendenhall an apology. The fact that he finally resembled the back he was drafted, is paid and expected to be 6 games into the season really shouldn't come across as an in your face to my critics moment!

My only question is why wasn't he pulled for a play or two after his 68 yard run? He was clearly gassed, and needed a blow. We essentially blew our first down and goal play giving him the ball on the very next play.

stillers4me
10-17-2011, 12:12 PM
No offense to the OP, but none of us owe Mendenhall an apology.

I don't write the news.

I just copy and paste it. :lol:

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Mendenhall is too much hate on forum at the moment.

He had a very good season in 2010 and it was very good in the playoffs.

This year, he had a poor start to the season, but it is not the only one for the Steelers(woodley,Ben..)

zulater
10-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Mendenhall is too much hate on forum at the moment.

He had a very good season in 2010 and it was very good in the playoffs.

This year, he had a poor start to the season, but it is not the only one for the Steelers(woodley,Ben..)

Didn't you already post this? And don't confuse criticism of one's play with hate. They're miles apart.

And Ben and Woodley contributions through the first 4 games lap Mendy's contributions about 5 times. Particularly Ben.

Edman
10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't need to apologize to Mendenhall. He wasn't running how he was capable of.

SteelerFanInStl
10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
No offense to the OP, but none of us owe Mendenhall an apology. The fact that he finally resembled the back he was drafted, is paid and expected to be 6 games into the season really shouldn't come across as an in your face to my critics moment!

My only question is why wasn't he pulled for a play or two after his 68 yard run? He was clearly gassed, and needed a blow. We essentially blew our first down and goal play giving him the ball on the very next play.

Agreed. Yea, Redman should've been brought in for the next play, especially since it was at the 3.

Dino 6 Rings
10-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm guessing they kept Mendy in to "give him the TD" but if he wanted it, he should have tried harder for the last 2 yards...Coach to win, don't coach "feelings". Redman should have got the ball on that 1st and goal from the 2.

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I didn't see anywhere in the article that an apology was demanded(?) :noidea:

Devilsdancefloor
10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Coach T said they made eye contact and Mendy said he was good to go on the next play after his 68 yard run

oneforthetoe
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
My reading comprehension is very low today with this blasted cold. I thought, holy crap Mendenhall quits. Eh, I'm going back to bed.

Count Steeler
10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Better play from the O Line and the extra motivation that other players may take away your starting job translates to a very good, long overdue performance. Thanks Mendy, now keep it up.

ALLD
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
The issue is we think of Polamalu as more of a closer than Mendy. He has good games, but can be inconsistant.

zulater
10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Coach T said they made eye contact and Mendy said he was good to go on the next play after his 68 yard run

Instead of locking on his eyes he should have noticed his heaving chest as he attempted to catch his breath.

SteelerEmpire
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
If they don't end up using Ward and Miller as O-linemen due to any more injuries, hopefully Mendy will continue to break out !

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Wow, he wasnt told by the coaches that his job was in jeopardy? He wasnt afraid for his job after being out 1 week with a hamstring??

He doesnt read these forums and realize that he is done, while Dwyer and Redman are the future?? I am totally shocked!!

Jay
10-18-2011, 12:56 AM

Man!! I was thinking the same thing! He was gasping after that great run. Why on earth would you keep him in and give him the rock on the very next play? Stupid!

Steeldude
10-18-2011, 01:07 AM
hey haters, he just starts off slow.

Nadroj 20
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
He finally played like he should and ran harder in that game. I didn't see that timid, stutter-step thing as much and that was the main complaint I had.

Hopefully he shows up like this every week and this will all be in the past.

The Duke
10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Good game, but no need to be slowed down against the Cards this week

hopefully Legursky can play. He was a big factor in Rashard's game

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
hey haters, he just starts off slow.

Yeah, and he doesnt hustle either. I havent been impressed with him since he was drafted.

I smell a big contract for him!!

Jay
10-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Yeah, and he doesnt hustle either. I havent been impressed with him since he was drafted.

I smell a big contract for him!!

You must be smelling that coke you're sniffing if you think he's getting a big contract from THIS team:sarcasm:. He's good, but no superstar. That ain't happening bro. I understand you're in his corner, we all are as Steeler fans, but you have to admit he was stinking it up a bit. We all want to see him do well, then the team does well.

suitanim
10-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Sarcasm smiley was needed...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Sarcasm smiley was needed...
Suit, as much as you and I dont always see eye to eye......at least you know sarcasm when you hear it.:yup:

JayC
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
yeah that 2nd half we had sure deserves some praise.

not.

zulater
10-23-2011, 09:45 PM
We're back!

Meaning us critics, not Mendy. Sorry but I get the distinct feeling that Mendenhall is currently our 3rd best back. I know he prefers a fullback to run behind, maybe that's part of the problem? Regardless, Arians rarely uses a fb, and as presently constituted, Mendy is no better than our 3rd best rb. The fact that the team chose to use Redman and Moore on the last clock killing drive is making me wonder if the coaches are starting to think like us Mendy critics?

By the way, I don't think Mendy looked terrible today, but I do think that Redman and Moore looked better.

Edman
10-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Way to go Mendy. Thank goodness Ben and the passing game to life today, because Mendy did jack shit and once again was outplayed by Moore and Redman.

st33lersguy
10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Dancy McTwinkletoes is back!

Edman
10-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Mendenhall 13 Car, 32 yards
Redman 6 Car, 29 yards
Moore 6 Car, 26 yards

Behind the same O-Line, Against the Same Defense, In the same game.

SCSTILLER
10-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Mendenhall 13 Car, 32 yards
Redman 6 Car, 29 yards
Moore 6 Car, 26 yards

Behind the same O-Line, Against the Same Defense, In the same game.

And alot of the yards that Redman and Moore gained were in a situation where the defense knew we were more than likely running the ball to kill the clock.

suitanim
10-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Why do you think we're using all 3 backs?

The coaches aren't retarded.

Count Steeler
10-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Mendy doesn't like road games? Not a stellar performance after last week's shining moment. I was hoping he would string 2 good games together.

suitanim
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
He had a couple decent runs. Really like the run towards the end of the game where instead of twinkle-toeing it out of bounds, he stayed in and picked up 5 more. Fans are being too harsh on Mendy again here...we have a stable of good running backs who all bring something different to the table, and yesterday they were all utilized.

steelerdude15
10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
There's too much hate for Mendy on this board.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-24-2011, 09:42 AM

You are so correct. I think the Steelers should just cut him so that the haters on the board can see how good life is with Redman and Dwyer as the feature backs.

The Cardinals D line was swarming all over our Offense yesterday, its why Ben took the shots he did and Mendenhall had few places to run when they ran him laterally. Even Redman lost a yard on a straight give, because Pouncey couldnt block Darryl Washington.

Players play.......haters hate.

suitanim
10-24-2011, 10:04 AM
You are so correct. I think the Steelers should just cut him so that the haters on the board can see how good life is with Redman and Dwyer as the feature backs.

The Cardinals D line was swarming all over our Offense yesterday, its why Ben took the shots he did and Mendenhall had few places to run when they ran him laterally. Even Redman lost a yard on a straight give, because Pouncey couldnt block Darryl Washington.

Players play.......haters hate.
It was very obvious that the Cards strategy for stopping us was the exactly the same strategy WE would have employed to stop a team like the Steelers: Sell out to deny the run, make them beat you with the pass. Which is exactly what we did.

zulater
10-24-2011, 12:24 PM

No hate from me, I'm just telling you what I'm seeing. Perhaps I'm wrong? I realize we all know far less than we believe. I mean after all if you're not privvy to the play call and you aren't familiar with everyone's assignment you can't accurately assess why a play broke down or worked.

But there are some evident facts that lead me to the conclusion that this team right now functions better with Redman and Moore carrying the mail. To wit, Mendy has made it known that he prefers running behind a fullback. In my opinion he's not totally sold or comfortable in the offense as it's being run, and I think it shows in his play.

Also the fact that the Steelers went to Moore and Redman in their final clock killing drive indicates to me that the Steelers coaching staff isn't all in on Mendy at the moment either. Can you imagine that game situation with an in his prime Jerome Bettis , and for a second are you going to tell me that he wouldn't be the guy carryimng the ball there?

Maybe it's just me adding 2 + 2 and getting 22? But regardless it's not hate. I just don't think Mendenhall is giving us as much as Redman and Moore do when they're in there at the moment. And yes I know they're often getting the ball in different circumstances than Mendy. But again that last Steelers possession where they killed the clock off was telling. If Mendy was where he should be and the coaches had complete confidence in him that would have been his series. And unless there's an injury that I'm not aware of, I don't see how that's even arguable?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
It was very obvious that the Cards strategy for stopping us was the exactly the same strategy WE would have employed to stop a team like the Steelers: Sell out to deny the run, make them beat you with the pass. Which is exactly what we did.

Yeah, kind of odd to say, but I thought the Cardinals looked like a mirror of the Steelers Defense, just without the same LB play. They shut down the run and pursued anything that went lateral in the run game.

86WARD
10-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Why do you think we're using all 3 backs?

The coaches aren't retarded.

Sometimes that's debateable...lol.

suitanim
10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah, kind of odd to say, but I thought the Cardinals looked like a mirror of the Steelers Defense, just without the same LB play. They shut down the run and pursued anything that went lateral in the run game.

Honestly, if anyone watches the game again objectively, they'll see that they are running the same exact D. I even remember a few downs where the LB's and DL's moved around without anyone getting into a stance right up until the snap of the ball. LeBeau invented that, and plenty have copied it...

O'Malley
10-24-2011, 03:40 PM

I was hoping maybe he took a look at this board and it lit a fire under his ass... The last two weeks it has been the Mendy I'm used to seeing.. Maybe he just needed his head to be deflated..

suitanim
10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
That's just not true. He ran hard against the Cards, and there were several plays where he chose the hard line versus tiptoeing out of bounds or spinning.

tube517
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
No hate from me, I'm just telling you what I'm seeing. Perhaps I'm wrong? I realize we all know far less than we believe. I mean after all if you're not privvy to the play call and you aren't familiar with everyone's assignment you can't accurately assess why a play broke down or worked.

But there are some evident facts that lead me to the conclusion that this team right now functions better with Redman and Moore carrying the mail. To wit, Mendy has made it known that he prefers running behind a fullback. In my opinion he's not totally sold or comfortable in the offense as it's being run, and I think it shows in his play.

Also the fact that the Steelers went to Moore and Redman in their final clock killing drive indicates to me that the Steelers coaching staff isn't all in on Mendy at the moment either. Can you imagine that game situation with an in his prime Jerome Bettis , and for a second are you going to tell me that he wouldn't be the guy carryimng the ball there?

Maybe it's just me adding 2 + 2 and getting 22? But regardless it's not hate. I just don't think Mendenhall is giving us as much as Redman and Moore do when they're in there at the moment. And yes I know they're often getting the ball in different circumstances than Mendy. But again that last Steelers possession where they killed the clock off was telling. If Mendy was where he should be and the coaches had complete confidence in him that would have been his series. And unless there's an injury that I'm not aware of, I don't see how that's even arguable?

His YPG was 2.8 and Redman and Memo were over 4.0 so it's not hate you are posting.

However, I still think Mendy should start and Redman should be alternating carries and they go with the hot hand after that. That's what they've been doing the past 2 weeks.

As far as Redman and MeMo, I've seen them in the game late a few times so I'm not surprised. I'm just happy that they are giving more touches to Redman and Memo looks rejuvenated this year. I've always liked Memo as our 2 minute drill/3rd down receiving back.

Count Steeler
10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Whatever gets the W on the board. I don't have personal favorites in the running game. Whoever is producing should be playing.

I would say we have a decent stable of running backs, no one is spectacular.

GoSlash27
10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Again, no hate on Mendy. He trains and practices to wait for the hole, and the line isn't making them right now. That's why I prefer to have guys like Dwyer and Redzone in there (who make their own holes.) until the line firms up.

Speaking of, kudos on the line. Good job protecting the pocket this week.

zulater
11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I just want to say that Mendy had a terrific game against the Patriots. Even more than the Jaguars game, I think this was his best overall effort for the season to date. Keep it up, we're going to need it. :thumbsup:

tube517
11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I just want to say that Mendy had a terrific game against the Patriots. Even more than the Jaguars game, I think this was his best overall effort for the season to date. Keep it up, we're going to need it. :thumbsup:

He's got hands to catch (unlike Fast Stonehands Willie P)

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
He's got hands to catch (unlike Fast Stonehands Willie P)
Yeah, but most will point out that Mendenhall still dances too much.

Even if Simms was commenting how he ran a play designed to go over Left Guard and he "danced" in the hole until he bounced it all the way to the right sideline for a 12 yard gain.

Should have put Redman and Dwyer in. No need to show confidence in your #1 back, just go with the hot hand.:rolleyes:

suitanim
11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I disagree. I saw a couple plays where Redman just ran straight into a congested and clogged hole, and I'm pretty sure Mendy would have bounced it outside (where there was a lot of room to run).

It's really very simple, and I can't understand why it's so hard for people to digest: These are different types of RB's, and they run differently. I like mixing them in (as we are doing) and this insistence upon utilizing only one at a time is wrong. On that particular play, MENDY would have gained at least 10 yards, and maybe a lot more. Redman gained nothing.

Count Steeler
11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I can see him having a big game this Sunday. O Line is going to be fired up and ready to take no prisoners. Ngata and Suggs will be on their respective asses all night.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I honestly would like to see if the Steelers can mix in some Zone blocking vs the Ravens and let Mendenhall pick his holes better, plus run some straight man blocking. I'd love to see Kugler draw up some cut blocking of Ngata on the backside and see how they like it.

Redman can run the man blocking stuff and Mendenhall more of the zone blocking.

Steeldude
11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
just remember, if you don't praise every steelers' player than you are a hater. that is unless everyone agrees with you. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
11-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I can see him having a big game this Sunday. O Line is going to be fired up and ready to take no prisoners. Ngata and Suggs will be on their respective asses all night.

:lol:

Psycho Ward 86
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I honestly would like to see if the Steelers can mix in some Zone blocking vs the Ravens and let Mendenhall pick his holes better, plus run some straight man blocking. I'd love to see Kugler draw up some cut blocking of Ngata on the backside and see how they like it.

Redman can run the man blocking stuff and Mendenhall more of the zone blocking.

and some cut blocking to give those bastards a taste of their own medicine

TomlinSteelTribe
11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
When Mendy was drafted, he was supposed to be a late 1st Rd steal. RB wasn't the most pressing need that offseason and still the Steelers FO took him. Since he was drafted, we've all seen flashes of Mendy the franchise back, but the consistency isn't there. The o-line's problems have to be taken into account, but he still doesn't seem to run as hard as you'd think, being he's around 230 lbs.

I don't like when he plays as twinkletoes anymore than the next diehard, but what really irks me is how he holds the ball sometimes. He one-arms (which is fine sometimes) and lets the ball-carrying arm lower way too far from his chest (never okay). Especially after what happened in the SB last year, this gets to me!

I'm still a Mendy fan, but like a lot of people on here, I'm happy Redman and a rejuvenated Moore are getting their touches. Redman seems to improve every year. This guy is hungry. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he becomes the lead back down the road, should Pit decide Mendy's price tag is too high.

ALLD
11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I think you need all three RBs in rotation just to keep them hungry and fresh. Moore seems to be the consumate professional in that position. It is uncanny how little he gets the ball, but how often his possessions are lethal or at least continue a drive.

Redman is beginning to get stuffed more often which could be a direct result of his carries going up.

Mendy seems to have those flashes of his pedigree, but consistancy has not been one of them. It would be difficult to lean on him entirely if the passing game went down.

We have a good stable of backs, but nothing like the Golden Age of Harris/Bleir. Our receiving corps, if they remain healthy, could be the new Gold Standard for Steeler's football. Just missing the acrobatics of Swann, but Miller is our best TE ever.

Psycho Ward 86
11-03-2011, 07:38 PM
When Mendy was drafted, he was supposed to be a late 1st Rd steal. RB wasn't the most pressing need that offseason and still the Steelers FO took him.

Goodness, hindsight is 20/20. when will people realize this...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
just remember, if you don't praise every steelers' player than you are a hater. that is unless everyone agrees with you. :chuckle:
I will admitt to being a Carey Davis hater. That guy was a waste of a roster spot.

GBMelBlount
11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
When Mendy was drafted, he was supposed to be a late 1st Rd steal. RB wasn't the most pressing need that offseason and still the Steelers FO took him.

I remember thinking "WTF" when they drafted him. Really wanted to see an O-lineman picked early. I realize they tend to go best player available but I was still disappointed.

....I don't mean to be a hater but he has looked like shit for the most part this season.