PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Air attack blows up in second half wind Read more: http://www.pos

zulater
10-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Ben Roethlisberger threw for 181 yards and completed a 28-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace in the first half of Sunday's game against Jacksonville. His quarterback rating was 113.4 after the second quarter and he appeared to be well on his way to another sterling performance, one week after tossing five touchdown passes in a victory against the Titans.

In the third and fourth quarters, the Jaguars -- and the wind -- finally disrupted the Steelers' passing game. Roethlisberger completed just 1 of 5 passes in the third and fourth quarters, and the Steelers had to hold on for a 17-13 victory after being held off the scoreboard in the second half.

"We had other guys open," Roethlisberger said. "I just have to drive the ball. I have to make the necessary adjustments when the wind picks up, stop floating it and try to drive it through the wind.

"I never make excuses. When it's blowing, you have to put a lot of spin on the ball. I just wasn't doing that. It's something I can easily change."

Several of Roethlisberger's incomplete passes, including some in the first half, came with receivers open deep downfield. Roethlisberger, who said the Jaguars were taking away the underneath routes and daring him to throw deep, simply misfired.

"The wind most definitely was a factor, but we won't use that as an excuse at all," said Wallace, who did not catch a pass in the second half for the second consecutive week. "We just have to keep working at it. We'll get it. Unfortunately, we left about three touchdowns out there."

Roethlisberger's only completion of the second half came on the first drive. It was a 19-yarder to Hines Ward. On the next play, Roethlisberger missed a wide open Emmanuel Sanders, who had beaten his defender to the end zone.

Roethlisberger also missed Sanders on another deep pass in the first half and could not connect on a deep pass to Wallace in the second half.

"It was gusting pretty good," Roethlisberger said of the wind. "Dan [Sepulveda] said on the last punt he wanted to take off and run. He didn't even want to punt it. It was what it was. It was kind of Heinz Field. One series it blows one way, then it swirls on you. Like I said, no excuses. You have to drive the ball through the wind."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11290/1182754-66-0.stm#ixzz1b2JDmTyr

HometownGal
10-17-2011, 06:50 AM
I can certainly vouch for the wind yesterday and Saturday here in the Burgh. It blew one of my 10 lb. potted plants over outside on the porch.

Like I said, no excuses. You have to drive the ball through the wind."

And that's it in a nutshell.

SteelerFanInStl
10-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Then stop throwing it deep! It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

suitanim
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
It would be foolish not to take what the defense is giving you. He just didn't execute very well...

GodfatherofSoul
10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
That explains the strange contortions Wallace was doing on that deep ball that dropped outside of him. I agree, the OC needs to make adjustments.

suitanim
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I disagree. This isn't high school or college football. You have to be able to throw the ball, even in the wind. Let's look at the facts:
We were protecting a lead.
We ran 15 times (including scrambles) compared to just 5 passes (not counting sacks)
Not ALL those passes were deep attempts. The Jags were playing tight coverage and protecting the short and intermediate stuff. Some of the sacks were coverage sacks.

What Jax was giving was the longball. The receivers were open. It's not Arians job to call the play, AND pass protect, AND accurately hit the wide open receivers.

Arians is being blamed for Ben's deficiencies here...