PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Mike challenging calls???

Butch
10-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Don't know if I should be happy or worried about this, but 2 weeks in a row where a call should have been challenged and wasn't. Is Mike Tomlin the worst coach on calling challenges??? Seems he does challenge when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should.

I also can understand him not challenging last weeks call due to the hurry up, but why not challenge the one yesterday??? We did win both games so at this point it's not a real big deal but what happens down the line in a non critical situation, where it ultimately costs us.

Again maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but it is a mild concern for me when it happens two weeks in a row. Interested in how anybody else feels.

zulater
10-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Part of it is you only get two challenges, so if you use one on a play that's called wrong, but ultimately not of great consequence, you could find yourself out of challenges later in the game on a call of critical importance?

Butch
10-17-2011, 06:52 AM
I understand that and like I say Mike has a horrible record challenging calls, but I am still concerned that one of these non challenges at a non critical time in the game will come back to bite us in the arse. Also yes you only get 2 challenges but if you don't use 'em why even have 'em at all???

Chidi29
10-17-2011, 09:10 AM
He really relies on what he is being told by the guys seeing the replay upstairs. Tomlin doesn't have a lot of control over it.

GodfatherofSoul
10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Wasn't really worth it at that point in the game and for field position as well.

zulater
10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Wasn't really worth it at that point in the game and for field position as well.

Absolutely agree, as it turns out that drive stalled and fell short of a score anyway, so it didn't matter. Now if that was Tom Brady and you have a chance to take him off the field there I think you throw the flag.

BigNastyDefense
10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Part of it is that he relies on the guys upstairs looking @ it on replay. If they tell him not to challenge it, he probably won't because he trusts them. You can't trust the player because the player is going to say that he caught the ball or the guy he was defending didn't catch it almost every single time.

If you lose the challenge, you lose the timeout also.

zulater
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
It was a gimmee, an easy challenge win, but even when you challenge successfully, you've still used a challenge. I know you get one back, but still if you have a successful challenge a couple play later, you don't get reimbursed for that, so any way you cut it, you've taken one away. Bottom line that wasn't a play that was going to win or lose you the game. It also occurred early in the 1st quarter. Just wasn't a worthwhile challenge.

I wish they'd go to booth reviews on obvious blown calls. It shouldn't be the coaches job to make sure the ref's do their job correctly.

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Don't know if I should be happy or worried about this, but 2 weeks in a row where a call should have been challenged and wasn't. Is Mike Tomlin the worst coach on calling challenges??? Seems he does challenge when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should.

I also can understand him not challenging last weeks call due to the hurry up, but why not challenge the one yesterday??? We did win both games so at this point it's not a real big deal but what happens down the line in a non critical situation, where it ultimately costs us.

Again maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but it is a mild concern for me when it happens two weeks in a row. Interested in how anybody else feels.

what challenges did you have in mind. other than the non-catch by jared cook?

Butch
10-17-2011, 04:59 PM
what challenges did you have in mind. other than the non-catch by jared cook?

Sorry don't remember the name but it was in the game against the titans. They rushed to the line so I can understand not having enough time to evaluate it. I also understand it didn't bite us yet so I'm not overly concerned just a thing I have noticed. Yesterday's game was an easy one just thought he shoulda challenged it. I also know his track on challenges is not a good one so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have to agree with Zulater that it should be able to be overturned up in the booth, but I don't ever expect it to come to that. Another way to do it would be that you get 2 blown challenges per game, so if you challenge 4 times and win 3 you still have one left to challenge.

Again not a real big deal either way just something I have noticed, hopefully nothing to be concerned with.

CPanther95
10-17-2011, 06:44 PM
They need to allow as many challenges as you want as long as you have a timeout to spend. It won't hurt anything unless the refs suck.

GBMelBlount
10-17-2011, 08:55 PM

You are not. I agree.

...and to validate a non-challenge because they didn't score makes no sense.

If he relies on people in the booth then does our "booth" simply suck?

Do we use the challenge as well as other teams?

I don't think so...

In a league of such parity a team needs to use every tool they have to their maximum advantage.

zulater
10-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I've had some issues with the way Tomlin uses his challenges. Just not this past game.

shutdown
10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I think the one on Sunday was just overconfidence in his defense. Why burn a questionable flag when you know the defense will stop them....

The one a few weeks ago I agree with Chidi, there wasn't enough time...