PDA

View Full Version : Next Up: The Gauntlet.

Edman
10-16-2011, 07:19 PM
@Cardinals, Home to Baltimore and New England, @Bengals.

The Steelers have historically been a mediocre road team under Tomlin, and this year so far they've been awful on the road. Whiz and the Cards will want to stick it to the Steelers for XLIII in front of their home crowd.

Baltimore has already kicked the Steelers ass once this season.

New England. Do we really need to go over this again?

The Bengals are playing pretty inspired ball this year, again, the Steelers are an awful road team.

I had some confidence last week that the team was getting in gear, but with Troy hurting, and another lackluster performance to another terrible team (esp. on Offense) I don't know what to expect. I expect a lot of frustration, headaches, and confusion. It's a wonder how this team is 4-2.

zulater
10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
If we can go 2-2 in the next 4 the last 6 ( with the exception of the 49ers) sets up pretty nicely. I still think we're looking at an 11+ win regular season. That said, it sure would be nice if we could go 3-1 in the next 4. :pray:

Moose
10-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I agree zu. but where are your 3 wins ? Arizona isn't a gimmee, and Balt. and N.E. ugh, could be 2 ugly games, and cincy ....well, they are playing pretty damn good ball and their defense is looking tough. The next 4 games scares the hell out of me.

zulater
10-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I agree zu. but where are your 3 wins ? Arizona isn't a gimmee, and Balt. and N.E. ugh, could be 2 ugly games, and cincy ....well, they are playing pretty damn good ball and their defense is looking tough. The next 4 games scares the hell out of me.

Arizona isn't a gimmee? I'd say it's a damn well better had! The Steelers have to know that's a win they can't afford not to rack up!

As far as after that I'm not predicting any wins, or losses. I'm just saying it'd be nice to take two of them, but I'll settle for one, particularly if that one is against the Ravens.

SteelerEmpire
10-16-2011, 07:54 PM
The Steelers are struggling (in one form or another) from game to game. Take one game at a time, and study and go into each with a strategy to win and that includes NE and the Ravens at home. If we can't beat the good teams in the regular season, I expect problems in the playoffs, IF we make the playoffs, with the Bengals AND Ravens ahead of us in the division.

86WARD
10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
They could easily go 0-4 over that stretch. VERY easily. If they play like they did against the Colts and the Jags (3/4 of today,) they'll lose in Arizona and to the Bengals...not to mention the two better teams in that gauntlet.

zulater
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
They could easily go 0-4 over that stretch. VERY easily. If they play like they did against the Colts and the Jags (3/4 of today,) they'll lose in Arizona and to the Bengals...not to mention the two better teams in that gauntlet.

Yeah but if they play like they did against the Titans and Seahawks then they could beat any one of them. And before you go dismissing those wins, ask the Ravens and Giants how easy they were to beat.

st33lersguy
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
No game is a gimme with the Steelers who always play down to bad competition and always try to make sure gfames against bad teams go down to the last second. Pittsburgh will likely take the Cardinals lightly and play half-ass, New England and Baltimore will most likely be two losses and Cincy is improved as well and will be tough

86WARD
10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah but if they play like they did against the Titans and Seahawks then they could beat any one of them. And before you go dismissing those wins, ask the Ravens and Giants how easy they were to beat.

I;m not dismissing the wins...just saying that they could have a losing record just as easily as them having a winning record right now. They played like crap...plus...they really didn't play all that great against Seattle. Their best effort was the Titans game...by far.

steeldevil
10-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Yep, this will be a big test for us. Hoping for 3-1. Will take 2-2, but with a sour face.

Lets face it, were not gonna beat the Pats*. We struggle with them AND they have their bye week to get ready for us... Not good.

Count Steeler
10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
The defense is coming around. 2 concerns, the run defense and the lack of turnovers.

On the offense, the O line wasn't terrible, the running game was very good, Ben's performance was inexplicable.

I'm hoping we go 3-1 over the next 4 games.

Moose
10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Again, I agree 100% 86Ward. Arizona is going to treat this game with revenge, Balt. and N.E. are going to be their typical ass kicking games, and cincy ALWAYS treats the Steeler's coming into town as their SUPER BOWL game so the coaches will have the players pumped to the limit. The Steeler's better walk into each stadium the next 4 weeks with the " A " game intact or it will be ugly come BYE week. 4-6 record will be hard to take.

SteelGhost
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Yep, this will be a big test for us. Hoping for 3-1. Will take 2-2, but with a sour face.

Lets face it, were not gonna beat the Pats*. We struggle with them AND they have their bye week to get ready for us... Not good.

I wouldn't be so sure, IF the Patsies* play like they did today against the Cryboys we can pull a big fat W :nod:

zulater
10-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Basically it comes down to this, if Ben plays like Ben usually plays, we win this game today in a romp, and everyone goes into the "gauntlet" fairly confident. Personally I feel the fact that he didn't, and as a result of one player's struggles we barely survived against a bad team, this team will refocus and come up with an effort similar to the one they put forth against the Titans and blow the Cards away next week.

the rest, we'll take a week at a time.

Early prediction. Steelers 34- Cards 13

GBMelBlount
10-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Zulater

Basically it comes down to this, if Ben plays like Ben usually plays, we win this game today in a romp

There are a lot factors that can impact how Ben plays in addition to Ben himself.

Most of our games (and season) hinges on injuries and how well the O line plays imo....

We could be 12-4...... or 8-8.

7willBheaven
10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I dont see why some are saying the Cards are tough or part of a gauntlet and making it sound like they're in the same league with Balt and NE...thats a joke and an insult to Balt/NE.

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Tsk tsk tsk...the only game that freaking matters is the next game vs the Cardinals. The peaking ahead is just an excuse to start a thread that involved 2 bitter Rivals. Cardinals are all I care about.

Godfather
10-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Arizona has me worried. Not because I think they'll beat us, but because it'll be too confusing to listen to the announcers and hear all those familiar names. I won't know which team did something good unless I watch closely.

7willBheaven
10-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Arizona has me worried. Not because I think they'll beat us, but because it'll be too confusing to listen to the announcers and hear all those familiar names. I won't know which team did something good unless I watch closely.

Hahahahaha...now thats funny! Though I think they're down to only 3 on the roster (with Crezdon on IR)...but still funny.

NCSteeler
10-17-2011, 12:45 AM
It's fairly simple that if we don't win the 2 division games in that stretch the rest will likely not matter much.

pepsyman1
10-17-2011, 02:01 AM
I just want to see us get back to the game plan that we used against the Titans. Quicker patterns, shorter drops, Ben getting rid of the ball and not having to worry about being on his back every pass play. We controlled that game, ran the ball, Ben looked like a surgeon. The second half today had me ready to break my flat screen.

SteelerEmpire
10-17-2011, 03:30 AM
It's fairly simple that if we don't win the 2 division games in that stretch the rest will likely not matter much.

This

venom
10-17-2011, 05:54 AM
What sucks is that the Pats will be coming off a bye then play the Steelers

HometownGal
10-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm concentrating on one game at a time which I'm sure Tomlin, the coaches and the players are doing as well. No game is ever a gimmee and though I'm not overly concerned about the Cards, I'm not going to take them or any other team for granted. Gotta be prepared for them just as well as being prepared for the Pats and Rats.

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
4-0:tt03::tt03::tt03:

steelerdude15
10-17-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm not worried about the Cards, which is next.

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 08:10 AM
@Cardinals, Home to Baltimore and New England, @Bengals.

The Steelers have historically been a mediocre road team under Tomlin.

The Steelers are 20-15 on the road under Tomlin and 17-10 since 2008.

CPanther95
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Arizona isn't a gimmee? I'd say it's a damn well better had! The Steelers have to know that's a win they can't afford not to rack up!

Agree 100%. If Arizona isn't a "gimme", it doesn't matter what our record is over the next 4 games.

Iron Steeler
10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Tomlin has to do a better job of creating a SENSE OF URGENCY in this locker room!! Yes I do believe in one game at a time but lets be serious everyone is peaking over the edge. Tomlin needs to wake everyone up and start playing mistake free football, no more leaving points off the board (Ben), no more missing easy FGs (Suisham), no more glueing your challenge flag to your pocket (Tomlin). You know why? because the pats/ravens/bengals/cards are not going to let us get away with these stupid mistakes.

MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL!!

I would rather have the coaching staff instill "The us against the world" mentality now! Rather then wait until it is too late and we into deep of the hole. This is the perfect time we still above float...

zulater
11-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Look as if we handled the gauntlet fairly well. I know it sucks that we lost to the Ravens ( 8 seconds away! :frusty:) but who of us wouldn't have gladly taken 7-3 going into the bye after the Texans game?

suitanim
11-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Should be 8-2...but I'll take 7-3.

Now we have series of trap games to wade through...