PDA

View Full Version : Minus the Weed and the Attitude....

BlastFurnace
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Doesn't Antonio brown's game remind you of Santonio? Santonio, for all his problems, plays this game with confidence and an attitude towards the opposite corner of "you can't cover me". I see that same attitude in Antonio. He also was a great YAC receiver, as is Antonio.

Antonio, if he can learn the playbook backwards and forwards to match his physical talent, could eventually be the #2 receiver on this team.

SteelerEmpire
10-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Yep. I noticed the uncanny similarity as well. Not only in the name, but in the style of play.

Chidi29
10-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Not until Brown becomes more refined in recognizing when he's hot in addition to running the underneath routes.

Edman
10-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Style of play? Pretty much. Antonio Brown seems to have Santonio's knack of making game-changing plays. 3rd and 19, anyone?

The Duke
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
as long as he stops with the pointing after the catch Im cool with him

Not until Brown becomes more refined in recognizing when he's hot in addition to running the underneath routes.

he's still in his second year. I remember even in 2009 Holmes having some issues with it

though he seems to have it down in NY the past two years

Chidi29
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm not saiyng that he can't become Holmes but right now, he isn't.

SteelerEmpire
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Ben is throwing the shorter passes here recently. I can see Brown breaking a few for TD's this year because he's awesome in yds gained 'after the catch'.... just like Holmes was.

BlastFurnace
10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
as long as he stops with the pointing after the catch Im cool with him

Funny you mention that. I noticed he does something very similar as Santonio does after he catches a first down pass as well...The pointing and dropping of the ball.

I wonder if Antonio will ever start flexing his bicep after each catch..lol.

Merchant
10-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Santonio is arguably the best route-runner in football. If Antonio can polish up that facet of his game, he'll be a dangerous threat.

Steeldude
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
hopefully brown will turn out to have better hands than holmes

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Not sure, I heard Holmes can roll a joint better than any other player in the NFL.

shutdown
10-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Brown leads the team in dropped passes.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2011, 04:38 PM
why have we been comparing current players with former players that are nothing alike lately

BlastFurnace
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
why have we been comparing current players with former players that are nothing alike lately

You don't see any similarities between the two? Some people see it that have commented here and some other Steelers fans I have talked with have said the same thing.

Count Steeler
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
He looked much better in the pre season. Still has to learn the hot routes. He is exciting once he gets the ball though.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Brown leads the team in dropped passes.

That's hard to believe because it seems to me that he's been catching most everything thrown his way. I've been really impressed with his hands this year. Sanders is the one that I'm not sure about.

steel striker
10-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I think Brown is coming along and, I bet He makes a big impact pretty soon. I thought Sanders was going to tear it up this year and, I know it is early I just expected more from him. If the o-line can protect the sky is the limit.

tube517
10-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Funny you mention that. I noticed he does something very similar as Santonio does after he catches a first down pass as well...The pointing and dropping of the ball.

I noticed that too. I just hope he doesn't throw glasses at women in night clubs

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2011, 07:37 PM
You don't see any similarities between the two? Some people see it that have commented here and some other Steelers fans I have talked with have said the same thing.

Antonio's phone booth quickness is way better than Santonio's. brown takes off faster than he ever did once the ball is in his hands. they both had pretty proficient straight line speed but santonio was a little, but brown's effort after a big catch doesnt fade like it does sometimes with santonio. Santo had an awful lot of big catches in his time here but there were some YAC efforts where he got caught from behind when they couldve gone all the way. Maybe that was a lack of conditioning, something brown is far from lacking according to the coaching staff, and maybe because of all that weed. Regardless plays lot more rabid against contact even though he's smaller. Looks like he's showing flashes of the same kind of great body control that Santonio holmes had though. @shutdown, i dont feel like that fact that brown leads the team in drops (ill trust you on that statistic) is an indication of how good/bad his hands are. If i recall correctly, there have numerous passes that have struck him in the torso/head because ben slung it to him earlier than he wanted to because of that insane pass rush. watch the colts and texans games if you dvr'd it.

The Duke
10-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I dunno about drops, but should there be any concern about this?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

Not sure how accurate these are, but Antonio has 17 catches on 37 targets. Wallace has 31 on 38 targets (I was surprised at their similar targets numbers too). Granted, the players around him are not much different (Garcon DeSean Moss) but just thought about bringing this tidbit up

Or maybe Wallace is just that good

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2011, 11:45 PM

that's the most similiar thing between them...not the way they play

steelreserve
10-15-2011, 02:22 AM
Give it time, and the weed and the attitude will come.

Steeltreal
10-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Give it time, and the weed and the attitude will come.

Like when he signs a contract extension and gets paid.

SteelerEmpire
10-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I dunno about drops, but should there be any concern about this?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

Not sure how accurate these are, but Antonio has 17 catches on 37 targets. Wallace has 31 on 38 targets (I was surprised at their similar targets numbers too). Granted, the players around him are not much different (Garcon DeSean Moss) but just thought about bringing this tidbit up

Or maybe Wallace is just that good

A lot of Antonio's drops are due to his route running trouble. He's supposed to be in one place, the ball is thrown in another, and then he has to run back/over to the ball to try to make a more awkward catch than normally. This is why Sanders is the #3 receiver. In addtion, some of these WR's should take those gloves off that their wearing.

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
In addtion, some of these WR's should take those gloves off that their wearing.

Why? Not everyone is a biletnikoff or a dallas clark