PDA

View Full Version : Redman to return to the bench

stillers4me
10-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Despite Isaac Redman's solid play in his first career start last week against Tennessee, he is heading back to the bench for Sunday's game against Jacksonville.

Rashard Mendenhall took part in his second consecutive practice Thursday, and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said afterward that Mendenhall will start.

"Rashard's the man," Arians said. "He's ready to go and everything is back to normal.".............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761754.html

BlastFurnace
10-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I don't have a problem with Mendenhall starting. It's the right decision. I just hope that the O'line blocks the same way this week as they did last week.

Rashard's responsibility is to run hard and decisively and not run like he is slowly migrating through a minefield.

Pristas
10-14-2011, 07:07 AM
The only argument left is the Yards After Contact. He needs to start dragging a few people down with him instead of dancing backwards for a loss.

BlastFurnace
10-14-2011, 09:36 AM
The only argument left is the Yards After Contact. He needs to start dragging a few people down with him instead of dancing backwards for a loss.

That is one area where Redman is clearly better than Mendenhall is yards after contact.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't have a problem with Mendenhall starting. It's the right decision. I just hope that the O'line blocks the same way this week as they did last week.

Rashard's responsibility is to run hard and decisively and not run like he is slowly migrating through a minefield.

The O-line did a great job at pass protecting, but all in all did not do a great job run blocking, save for a couple of plays. The reason Redman impressed was that he managed to get yards after contact.

Shoes
10-14-2011, 06:15 PM
"He's ready to go and everything is back to normal.".............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761754.html

What's normal Bruce?

stillers4me
10-14-2011, 06:22 PM
What's normal Bruce?
that's what worries me.

steel striker
10-14-2011, 06:23 PM
What I like about Redman is he hits the holes faster than Mendy has this year. Maybe Mendy was not 100% who knows. I'm sure Redman will some touches this week as well.

Edman
10-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I think by "normal" we mean that we'll go back to slow, long developing plays on Offense and bubble screens instead of the smart and awesome gameplan Arians put together against Tennesee.

stillers4me
10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I think by "normal" we mean that we'll go back to slow, long developing plays on Offense and bubble screens instead of the smart and awesome gameplan Arians put together against Tennesee.

I rest my case.

tube517
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM

:lol:

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
10-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Looks like Redman is going to rot on the bench while we are stuck with watching Mendenhall dance like he is participating on Dancing with the Stars

Count Steeler
10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Fine Mendy. Put up or sit back down.

Also, another week for this O Line to gel. I liked the comraderie I saw during the game against the Titans, hope they keep building it and keep communicating. Looking forward to a beat down on the Jags.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2011, 08:01 PM
i think for redman to take the starting job, (which i still think is kind of a taboo subject to talk about because he has been a proficient back behind our make shift line for the last couple of seasons) it's going to have to be like the Willie Parker-situation in 2009. Who knows when Mendenhall would have gotten his shot if Willie didnt keep aggravating knee and turf toe injuries that season. If Mendenhall keeps getting injured, it could be Redman time for an extended amount of time. Good or bad effect? Hmm....something to think about...

smokin3000gt
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't understand why it always has to be 1 RB or nothing. Why can't way play them both? They would compliment each other and the defense would have to adjust for either of them. Not to mention keeping the legs fresh..

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't understand why it always has to be 1 RB or nothing. Why can't way play them both? They would compliment each other and the defense would have to adjust for either of them. Not to mention keeping the legs fresh..

Ill give you a clue. im not gonna tell you but it starts with Bruce and ends with Arians :)

steelreserve
10-15-2011, 02:46 AM

Funny, I used to say that about Parker, and people would tell me I was crazy. I don't want to get into that again, but the principle is the same: For god's sake, if you have two competent running backs with slightly different skill sets, they'll both do better if you mix things up instead of insisting on the same one all the time.

Yeah, there's a difference; Mendenhall is better than Parker, and he's shown in the past that he can run with enough power to be a good all-around back. Something's wrong with him this year, though. He's in a dancing -1 yard funk, and if he can't get out of it, put someone else the hell in there.

GoSlash27
10-15-2011, 05:52 AM
2 years ago, Redzone was relegated to the practice squad. He's done well enough since then to stir up a RB controversy. I'm not worried about it.

86WARD
10-15-2011, 07:05 AM
RBBC

ALLD
10-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Could be about teammate chemistry and effort. Mendy will either storm out of the backfield like he did last time he rode the pine or he will put in minimal effort. If his performance lacks effort it will be evident and permanent changes will be made. There is no way the coaching staff will tolerate sub-par effort when there is somebody sitting who is more than capable.

VTsteel
10-15-2011, 09:32 AM
I am a proponent of a two back system. I believe that Mendy should be the primary . . . however, Redman ran with alot of heart last week and I would like to see him in there at the goalline or short yardage situations.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah, there's a difference; Mendenhall is better than Parker, and he's shown in the past that he can run with enough power to be a good all-around back. Something's wrong with him this year, though. He's in a dancing -1 yard funk, and if he can't get out of it, put someone else the hell in there.

Baldinger showed a good example of what was wrong with Mendenhall on AFC Playbook. The O line allowed a Texan defender in the backfield just as Ben is handing off the football and Mendenhall had nowhere to go.

Then he showed an example of last week, where the line controlled the line of scrimmage and the RB's had good lanes to rush and pick their hole. He was praising Kugler for the job he did with the patchwork O line...I just wonder where the critizism was of Kugler for the poor line play earlier in the year.

Good O line play can make RB's look better than they are. I think Bam Morris, Barry Foster and Willie Parker are all examples of that.

Jay
10-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Another thing overlooked by many is Redman's ability to blow up blitzing defenders like no other running back on this team and run the ball. Johnson does a decent job of that too.

st33lersguy
10-15-2011, 03:24 PM
It is terrible being a back-up Pittsburgh Steeler because you will barely ever play, even if you work very hard and outperform the person starting ahead of you

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
This is kind of off topic, but you guys remember when Gary Russell was our short yardage back??? TGIR (Thank God it's Redman). LOL :rofl2:

zulater
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
This is kind of off topic, but you guys remember when Gary Russell was our short yardage back??? TGIR (Thank God it's Redman). LOL :rofl2:

And our top kick returner! :lol:

GBMelBlount
10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Play them both and keep them fresh.

steel striker
10-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Todays NFL is a two back system for the most part you will burn out a rb very quickly. I look for Mendy to have a good game and, if he does not well it will be Redman time.

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
And our top kick returner! :lol:

oh the horror :rofl2:

GoSlash27
10-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Baldinger showed a good example of what was wrong with Mendenhall on AFC Playbook. The O line allowed a Texan defender in the backfield just as Ben is handing off the football and Mendenhall had nowhere to go.

Then he showed an example of last week, where the line controlled the line of scrimmage and the RB's had good lanes to rush and pick their hole. He was praising Kugler for the job he did with the patchwork O line...I just wonder where the critizism was of Kugler for the poor line play earlier in the year.

Good O line play can make RB's look better than they are. I think Bam Morris, Barry Foster and Willie Parker are all examples of that.

Yeah, but remember that Redman performed lights-out behind every line we've given him; good, bad, or otherwise. He was miraculous in training camp 2 years ago, gashed the opponents in pre-season behind a 3rd string line, and made key plays last year behind a very good line. It shouldn't be a surprise that he's averaging well behind a weak line.

Jay
10-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, but remember that Redman performed lights-out behind every line we've given him; good, bad, or otherwise. He was miraculous in training camp 2 years ago, gashed the opponents in pre-season behind a 3rd string line, and made key plays last year behind a very good line. It shouldn't be a surprise that he's averaging well behind a weak line.

Spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craic
10-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Two years ago, he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers. In preseason, our 3rd string line was going up against other third string lines.
Now, look at what Mendy is doing behind a line that can actually block this week, as they did last week.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Mendenhall stutter stepped in the hole and then found a seam and went 68 yards. Strange I havent seen any comments about his dancing in the hole in the forum today.

fansince'76
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Mendenhall stutter stepped in the hole and then found a seam and went 68 yards. Strange I havent seen any comments about his dancing in the hole in the forum today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH5kEBgwur4

:lol: :lol: :lol:

zulater
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM

It's about time he earned a game check. :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
It's about time he earned a game check. :coffee:

Yeah, I guess Redman and Dwyer should give back their game checks with only 30 yards of contribution to the offense.

Or, if they keep it, maybe they could sign up for some dance lessons to help their game.

zulater
10-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I guess Redman and Dwyer should give back their game checks with only 30 yards of contribution to the offense.

Or, if they keep it, maybe they could sign up for some dance lessons to help their game.

Redman and Dwyer's check combined don't come close to Mendy's. You really trying to make the case that they aren't earning their checks, when they were doing exactly what reserves are paid to do? Really?!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Redman and Dwyer's check combined don't come close to Mendy's. You really trying to make the case that they aren't earning their checks, when they were doing exactly what reserves are paid to do? Really?!

No, I am saying that you dont judge a player's performance based upon what his game check is worth. You negotiate the contract and play you best player at whatever position. Here are some examples of recent Steeler season salaries.

Redman makes $405,000 (2011)
Moore makes $575,999 (2011)
Mendehhall $2.5 Million (2011)
Mike Wallace $663,000 (2011)
Emmanuel Sanders $685,000 (2011)
Jason Worilds $880,000 (2011)
Woodley made $550,000 ( last year)

So we can see that Sanders makes more this year than Mike Wallace. Or that Jason Worilds makes more this year for riding the bench than Woodley did last year for starting all season and getting 10 sacks. Should Wallace and Woodley play down to their level of compensation??

To judge a player on a weekly basis, by the size of his contract is somewhat narrow in thinking. Do you think the coaching staff looks weekly at what a player's game check is before deciding if he plays???

zulater
10-16-2011, 09:03 PM
No, I am saying that you dont judge a player's performance based upon what his game check is worth. You negotiate the contract and play you best player at whatever position. Here are some examples of recent Steeler season salaries.

Redman makes $405,000 (2011)
Moore makes $575,999 (2011)
Mendehhall $2.5 Million (2011)
Mike Wallace $663,000 (2011)
Emmanuel Sanders $685,000 (2011)
Jason Worilds $880,000 (2011)
Woodley made $550,000 ( last year)

So we can see that Sanders makes more this year than Mike Wallace. Or that Jason Worilds makes more this year for riding the bench than Woodley did last year for starting all season and getting 10 sacks. Should Wallace and Woodley play down to their level of compensation??

To judge a player on a weekly basis, by the size of his contract is somewhat narrow in thinking. Do you think the coaching staff looks weekly at what a player's game check is before deciding if he plays???

All I'm saying is that six weeks in and Mendenhall finally shows up and does the job he's expected to do. I wouldn't be torching his detractors just yet.

No one wants him to fail, but if he does, he cashes the check, so he has to deal with the criticism as it comes.

Personally I think Mendy's improved play might have something to do with the challenge he's getting from Redman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
All I'm saying is that six weeks in and Mendenhall finally shows up and does the job he's expected to do. I wouldn't be torching his detractors just yet.

No one wants him to fail, but if he does, he cashes the check, so he has to deal with the criticism as it comes.

Personally I think Mendy's improved play might have something to do with the challenge he's getting from Redman.
No, I think its hilarious that a backup like Redman gets some carries due to injury last week and averages around 3 yards per carry and the masses are ready to cast Mendenhall aside and go with Redman.

Now that the guy gets some blocking and has a big game.....suddenly I hear nothing but crickets from the Redman(or even more absurd Dwyer) supporters. Then again, I am not sure if they are Redman supporters or Mendenhall haters because of his twitter posts??

Its kind of like how everybody is all over Jon Scott for giving up a sack to Dwight Freeney, but are pretty silent when Max Starks gives up a sack/fumble to ....John Chick??? Lots of knee jerk- hater reaction going on.

zulater
10-16-2011, 09:23 PM
No, I think its hilarious that a backup like Redman gets some carries due to injury last week and averages around 3 yards per carry and the masses are ready to cast Mendenhall aside and go with Redman.

Now that the guy gets some blocking and has a big game.....suddenly I hear nothing but crickets from the Redman(or even more absurd Dwyer) supporters. Then again, I am not sure if they are Redman supporters or Mendenhall haters because of his twitter posts??

Its kind of like how everybody is all over Jon Scott for giving up a sack to Dwight Freeney, but are pretty silent when Max Starks gives up a sack/fumble to ....John Chick??? Lots of knee jerk- hater reaction going on.

Who here is demanding Mendenhall's permanent benching? His play the first month of the season was below par!! It wasn't just his offensive line, he was indecisive to the hole, was going down on first contact, he was part of the problem rather than part of the solution!

I think Tomlin sees it like many of us uniformed Redman supporters, and used Isaac to fire up Mendy's ass! And yay it worked! No one here is upset about that! We want him to play well! I predicted before the season he would play well!

No one bitched about his play last year, and you know why? Because he didn't give us a reason to! His play was almost always of a high quality! It's what we want from him, what we expect from him! And when we don't see it for a game, we say ok, that's football. But when we don't see if for a month of fucking games we get pissed and demand better from one of our stars!

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm really gonna love the back and forth bipolar feelings about Mendenhall all season long :lol:

tube517
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm really gonna love the back and forth bipolar feelings about Mendenhall all season long :lol:

:rofl2:

tube517
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM

How much is Max and Jon making? :chuckle:

zulater
10-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Combined, about 1/5 of what Mendy is making. :lol:

GBMelBlount
10-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Although Mendenhall has looked poor recently, he IS a good running back, period.

However, I love Redman's attitude (and results) and would love to see him get more carries.

zulater
10-16-2011, 11:14 PM
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30441-steelers-hang-on-to-beat-jaguars

After missing last week's game with injury, Rashard Mendenhall came out and played like a man who was worried about his job in the first half. He ran for 113 yards on 12 carries, including one run of 68 yards and another of 8 for a touchdown. Like the rest of the offense, he was slowed in the second half, gaining 33 yards on 11 carries.

Isaac Redman, who started last week in place of Mendenhall, carried four times for 22 yards in the first half. He had no carries in the second half.

Austin87
10-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Mendy played very well, but Redman deserved more than four carries.

Galax Steeler
10-17-2011, 04:11 AM
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30441-steelers-hang-on-to-beat-jaguars

After missing last week's game with injury, Rashard Mendenhall came out and played like a man who was worried about his job in the first half. He ran for 113 yards on 12 carries, including one run of 68 yards and another of 8 for a touchdown. Like the rest of the offense, he was slowed in the second half, gaining 33 yards on 11 carries.

Isaac Redman, who started last week in place of Mendenhall, carried four times for 22 yards in the first half. He had no carries in the second half.

But what if you take away the long run of 68 yards.:peep:

GoSlash27
10-17-2011, 06:23 AM

That's hardly valid. They didn't get anywhere near the touches Mendy got. Hell, I watched Redman truck them on that first drive behind the exact same line. I don't have a link to the footage, but I'm sure you saw it too. How many defenders did he knock down/ run over/ drag with him on that play?
I'm not saying Mendy's bad, I'm just saying that Redman's good. I personally prefer that powerball style of play. It's not as sexy as finding a gap and ripping off a 68 yarder, but it sustains drives, wears out the defense, and eats up the clock. Plus, it makes the play action a more convincing sell. I'd rather see sustained 4-5 yard carries than repeated stops for no (or negative) gain with the occasional big play.

But that's just me. *shrug*

HometownGal
10-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Although Mendenhall has looked poor recently, he IS a good running back, period.

However, I love Redman's attitude (and results) and would love to see him get more carries.

This is where I'm at. Why not utilize that two-headed monster and throw a little Dwyer in for good measure? We've got a good stable of backs - use 'em!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Sadly, $880k and $1.3 mil. Maybe they need to give back some of their game check for giving up sacks.

But what if you take away the long run of 68 yards.:peep:

He only ran for 48 yards. The other 20 he spent dancing sideways thru some thin holes. I guess if that was Dwyer on that run he would have gone for more. :rofl:

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Mendenhall is too much hate on forum at the moment.

He had a very good season in 2010 and it was very good in the playoffs.

This year, he had a poor start to the season, but it is not the only one for the Steelers(woodley,Ben..)

GoSlash27
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Mendenhall is too much hate on forum at the moment.

He had a very good season in 2010 and it was very good in the playoffs.

This year, he had a poor start to the season, but it is not the only one for the Steelers(woodley,Ben..)

I don't have any hate for Mendy. He's one of the best backs in the league and I'm glad he's on our side. I'm just sayin' he's not a power runner and I'd like to see us use that type of offense more often.