PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey sounding off about microphones

stillers4me
10-14-2011, 05:09 AM
Maurkice Pouncey isn't a quiet guy, but he really hasn't enjoyed hearing himself as much as he has this season.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL requires each team outfit its center or both guards with a microphone under the shoulder pads during games for an enhanced television broadcast.

It has led to Pouncey's voice being heard a lot more during telecasts, something he doesn't particularly enjoy.
"I really don't want to wear it," Pouncey said. "What's the point of wearing it? I don't get it."

The league and television networks wanted to enhance the sound during games by giving fans a better sense of the action. The league last year repositioned its mic'd-up umpire to behind the line of scrimmage and lost its "natural" sound for the audience..............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761778.html

zulater
10-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Goodell strikes again! :doh:

Austin87
10-14-2011, 08:15 AM
WOW, what a silly rule. Don't think this one will last long.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
The Steelers should use only curse words as their code words. Let's see if the networks broadcast that.

Chidi29
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
"I don't like it," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It really kills your no-huddle offense when everybody gets your code words, and they broadcast across NFL Network and everywhere else."

---------

Another reason why we're not running no huddle as much.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Once again Goodell implements a new rule that is targeted strictly at the fans and earning revenue and actually damages the game itself. This guy really only cares about making money.

fansince'76
10-14-2011, 11:31 AM
The Steelers should use only curse words as their code words. Let's see if the networks broadcast that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

zulater
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
"I don't like it," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It really kills your no-huddle offense when everybody gets your code words, and they broadcast across NFL Network and everywhere else."

---------

Another reason why we're not running no huddle as much.

Apparently the Patriots aren't affected by this rule?

Chidi29
10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Apparently the Patriots aren't affected by this rule?

Not all teams communicate as well as New England does. Until the Titans game, there have been major communication issues on offense. Can't run the no huddle when you can barely run th eplay called in the huddle.

Craic
10-14-2011, 01:27 PM
How I love our "blame Good-deal" mantras around here.

Everyone does recognize that a majority of owners must agree with practically every rule that gets set in place right? Microphones, fines for late hits, etc. etc. are the result of the owners, not Good-deal. That includes the Rooney's unless they are on record as voting against it.

zulater
10-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Everyone does recognize that a majority of owners must agree with practically every rule that gets set in place right? Microphones, fines for late hits, etc. etc. are the result of the owners, not Good-deal. That includes the Rooney's unless they are on record as voting against it.

The owners are sheep. Greedy sheep who can be talked into anything if it suits their bottom line.

Chidi29
10-14-2011, 01:55 PM
The owners are sheep. Greedy sheep who can be talked into anything if it suits their bottom line.

All the more reason to be angry at them, not Goodell.

Chidi29
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Besides, this rule doesn't help the owners. They don't get anything out of it.

shutdown
10-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Change all your no huddle calls to curse words. :)

Craic
10-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Besides, this rule doesn't help the owners. They don't get anything out of it.

Oh but they do.

I disagree tremendously with Zu about that owners being sheep. Just the opposite, most of them are at least quite business savvy. But that means that, like Zu said, it must push a bottom line. This type of rule, if in generates more excitement, then also generates more fans. That in turn pushes TV viewership and drives up the price to buy the right to broadcast the games. It helps owners out very much.

The problem with the NFL, in my opinion, is that they are now too worried with putting out a product, rather than displaying a game of football.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
The bottom line with EVERYTHING in the NFL now is money. Greed has taken over and all they care about is how much they can make.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2011, 04:39 PM

LOL

Craic
10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
The bottom line with EVERYTHING in the NFL now is money. Greed has taken over and all they care about is how much they can make.

Absolutely right... and that is true on every, single level. It's sad, really. But it's also nothing more than a reflection of our larger society.

salamander
10-14-2011, 04:49 PM

"BLUE FUCK YOU! BLUE FUCK YOU! GOODELL SUCKS! HUT HUT HIKE!"

:chuckle:

O'Malley
10-15-2011, 01:29 AM

This is why you can't hit anymore.. The owners don't want their expensive toys broken..

tihmtahm
10-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Next year team playbooks will be open to the public. That oughtta bolster the fan base.

86WARD
10-15-2011, 07:08 AM
$5000 fine if he doesn't wear it. Such a fucking joke. Really...enough. Let's just play ball

BlacknGoldBabe
10-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Get rid of the player mic's! Only ones who actually should wear them are the officials.

HometownGal
10-15-2011, 08:11 AM

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

BlacknGoldBabe
10-15-2011, 08:12 AM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

I second that applause!

LLT
10-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Actually I still blame Goodell. Up until this point in history its been understood that The commisioner is responsible for the "overall well-being of the game of football". That means that the commisioner is SUPPOSED to represent what is best for the owners, players, and the fans.

We have had commisioners in the past who leaned one way or the other....but this is the first commisioner in the history of the game who is in the back pocket of the owners. His understanding of the fans needs, and his willingness to do what is right for the fans, is virtually non-existant.

How many more changes will this clown make that, while good for the short term investment of the owners, alienate the fan and is detremental to the fan experience.

For example:

Sure...its good financial sense to make sure that the Sunday night game is flexible so as to make sure its competitive and brings in the most television revenue.

But the fan who paid to fly into Pittsburgh for an afternoon game...isnt really interested in what make "financial sense"...when his game is moved to the 6pm slot and he has to leave at halftime to make his flight home.

Great for the pocketbook of the owners....the fans can go to hell.

tube517
10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Actually I still blame Goodell. Up until this point in history its been understood that The commisioner is responsible for the "overall well-being of the game of football". That means that the commisioner is SUPPOSED to represent what is best for the owners, players, and the fans.

We have had commisioners in the past who leaned one way or the other....but this is the first commisioner in the history of the game who is in the back pocket of the owners. His understanding of the fans needs, and his willingness to do what is right for the fans, is virtually non-existant.

How many more changes will this clown make that, while good for the short term investment of the owners, alienate the fan and is detremental to the fan experience.

For example:

Sure...its good financial sense to make sure that the Sunday night game is flexible so as to make sure its competitive and brings in the most television revenue.

But the fan who paid to fly into Pittsburgh for an afternoon game...isnt really interested in what make "financial sense"...when his game is moved to the 6pm slot and he has to leave at halftime to make his flight home.

Great for the pocketbook of the owners....the fans can go to hell.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_baPSplXYBpk/S_KxmDKvxcI/AAAAAAAAA7U/xC5WmXkDFdY/s1600/topeka-bingo.jpg

X-Terminator
10-15-2011, 11:13 AM
It's apparently starting to become verboten to bash Goodell Castro on this board with some folks, but this rule has his fingerprints ALL over it. You are just blind if you can't see that. The man does not give a tinker's damn about the game itself. It's all about the Benjamins, and I don't mean Roethlisberger.

BigNastyDefense
10-15-2011, 11:33 AM
It's apparently starting to become verboten to bash Goodell Castro on this board with some folks, but this rule has his fingerprints ALL over it. You are just blind if you can't see that. The man does not give a tinker's damn about the game itself. It's all about the Benjamins, and I don't mean Roethlisberger.

Exactly.

His rules for "safety" aren't there for the players, they are there to save the owners and the corporate offices of the NFL from future lawsuits. Players know the inherent risks to playing such a violent game for a career. When a retired player does sue the NFL NFLPA, or a team...it's not over an injury. It's over the fact that they don't have the medical insurance.

He doesn't care about the fan's game experience if it's not going to benefit the owners bottom lines.

And he proved with the entire Spygate controversy that he doesn't give two shits about the integrity of the game.

If the NFL wants the crunching sounds of the trenches back, then put pads and a helmet on the umpire and put him back where he used to be.

I also love how they promote "player safety" but want all the sounds of violence.....such hypocrites IMHO.

zulater
10-15-2011, 11:39 AM
All the more reason to be angry at them, not Goodell.

I disagree, it's Goodell's job to set the direction the league is going to travel. And here again he's setting the compass on a piss poor direction, and his owner sheeples are too busy counting their dollars to notice the product is being cheapened.

Count Steeler
10-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I disagree, it's Goodell's job to set the direction the league is going to travel. And here again he's setting the compass on a piss poor direction, and his owner sheeples are too busy counting their dollars to notice the product is being cheapened.

They will only do something when they DON'T have money to count. Increasing profits year by year, won't make the owners think about the direction of the game. Green speaks.

steelerdiva
10-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Exactly.

His rules for "safety" aren't there for the players, they are there to save the owners and the corporate offices of the NFL from future lawsuits. Players know the inherent risks to playing such a violent game for a career. When a retired player does sue the NFL NFLPA, or a team...it's not over an injury. It's over the fact that they don't have the medical insurance.

He doesn't care about the fan's game experience if it's not going to benefit the owners bottom lines.

And he proved with the entire Spygate controversy that he doesn't give two shits about the integrity of the game.

If the NFL wants the crunching sounds of the trenches back, then put pads and a helmet on the umpire and put him back where he used to be.

I also love how they promote "player safety" but want all the sounds of violence.....such hypocrites IMHO.

Winner, winner....chicken dinner! :clap2:

NCSteeler
10-16-2011, 01:16 AM
This rule will die as soon as Peyton gets back to playing. Just hasn't been bitched about by an "important" enough player or team. The broadcasters also unknowingly can control which teams signals to reveal and which to keep un-broadcast, hmmm.

Aussie_steeler
10-16-2011, 02:01 AM
We had a similar event in Australia with our national summer sport cricket. Microphones were put into the stumps on the pitch and every word was broadcast.

The players protested the decision to no avail. So the next day they took to the field and spoke in code - promoting their individual sponsors who were in direct competition with the leagues sponsors.

Guess what happened? The microphones were turned off.

If it is an economic decision then make it an economic protest

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s1617579.htm (warning - references to an australian sport that many may not understand)

pepsyman1
10-16-2011, 02:58 AM
We had a similar event in Australia with our national summer sport cricket. Microphones were put into the stumps on the pitch and every word was broadcast.

The players protested the decision to no avail. So the next day they took to the field and spoke in code - promoting their individual sponsors who were in direct competition with the leagues sponsors.

Guess what happened? The microphones were turned off.

If it is an economic decision then make it an economic protest

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s1617579.htm (warning - references to an australian sport that many may not understand)

Great idea...the QB gives out some free plugs for 2 or 3 products each week (products not currently paying the league or network would be best) and hides the play code in there. Change products every couple of weeks. Hit em where it hurts

NCSteeler
10-17-2011, 12:25 AM
"block it up" "block it up" is this really the great enhanced sound we have been waiting for, a real look inside the game?? How many time did we hear that today?

Craic
10-17-2011, 05:06 PM

I'm not sure how that can be as it's usually just myself and one or two others that say something whenever the "blame Godell for ______" chant begins again. With the powers that some people think Good-deal has, you'd (general you) think he would have fixed the economy, ended the wars, and leapt tall buildings in a single bound by now.

If it's all about the Benjamins...and I agree that it is. That isn't Good-deals doing. That's the owners doing. They are the ones with the authority, not Good-deal. He works on their behalf, he is their employee. In business parlance, he is the CEO, but they are the board of directors. The minute they think he is going in a bad direction, he's will be canned. What is really happening here, in my opinion, is that people don't like where the game is going, and it's always easier to find one person to blame it on, then a collective group or things not understood. It's why the president gets blamed for natural disasters, it's why Generals get blamed from screw ups that come down from above, and it's why people like Good-deal gets blamed for decisions the Rooneys have a say in, unless again, they are on record as opposing it.

Do I like Good-deal? Not at all. But when a player breaks someone else's fingernail and a number of people on this board start railing on Good-deal for not suspending him for four games like he did Ben, the Good-deal hatred has gone a little overboard IMO. I'm sure it's ok for me to share that opinion, right?

LLT
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure how that can be as it's usually just myself and one or two others that say something whenever the "blame Godell for ______" chant begins again. With the powers that some people think Good-deal has, you'd (general you) think he would have fixed the economy, ended the wars, and leapt tall buildings in a single bound by now.

If it's all about the Benjamins...and I agree that it is. That isn't Good-deals doing. That's the owners doing. They are the ones with the authority, not Good-deal. He works on their behalf, he is their employee. In business parlance, he is the CEO, but they are the board of directors. The minute they think he is going in a bad direction, he's will be canned. What is really happening here, in my opinion, is that people don't like where the game is going, and it's always easier to find one person to blame it on, then a collective group or things not understood. It's why the president gets blamed for natural disasters, it's why Generals get blamed from screw ups that come down from above, and it's why people like Good-deal gets blamed for decisions the Rooneys have a say in, unless again, they are on record as opposing it.

Do I like Good-deal? Not at all. But when a player breaks someone else's fingernail and a number of people on this board start railing on Good-deal for not suspending him for four games like he did Ben, the Good-deal hatred has gone a little overboard IMO. I'm sure it's ok for me to share that opinion, right?

I understand where you are coming from and I have alsways respected your opinion, which is generally well thought out and expressed politely.

BUT...(there is always a "but")....Goodell showed his true colors in this last draft when he manipulated the tragedy of those killed in the tornadoes to stop the boos on the first day of the draft and then marched out our servicemen on the second day for the same reason.

It is beyond bad taste to use that kind of tragedy and to hide behind the uniforms of our servicemen for ones own benefit. He is an immorall, calculating piece of crap and every decision he makes should be looked out in light of his lack of ethics.