PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward: 'I Won't Play Beyond 2013'

stillers4me
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) veteran and captain Hines Ward (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1642/hines-ward) was on The Jungle on the Jim Rome Show this afternoon. He gave some Hines-like positive sentimen (http://www.jimrome.com/junglehighlights?uri=channels/465575/1507793)t and provided plenty of reasons why SteelerNation has cheered for him harder and longer than perhaps any other player on the roster.

He did admit this contract will be his last. Ward doesn't have any plans to continue playing after his contract expires. .............

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/13/2488595/hines-ward-last-season-2013

Count Steeler
10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Probably just about right Hines. Take a couple years off and get back here to coach the next batch of WRs. Maybe he can replace Tomlin in about 15 years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I am a big fan, but honestly wonder if he will be able to remain a starter here next season. Wallace, Brown, Sanders are obviously the future, but I also think there will be other options better than a 36 year old WR.

ALLD
10-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Ward is one of the leaders of the offense. He has a place here always and 5 years later, a place in the HoF.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I love the way he talks about taking pride in the development of the young receivers.

Great guy. Great attitude. Great Steeler.

zulater
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I am a big fan, but honestly wonder if he will be able to remain a starter here next season. Wallace, Brown, Sanders are obviously the future, but I also think there will be other options better than a 36 year old WR.

I'll be shocked if he's on the roster in 2013. I'm not even sure about 2012.

steeldevil
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Hopefully the young guys don't get overly dependent on being able to ask Ward stuff... That bit worried me a bit when I read it.

O'Malley
10-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Almost time to frame my 86 jersey and buy a 17 jersey....:cry02:

The Duke
10-13-2011, 06:07 PM
wow, this is the most definite answer he's given yet

it's coming....

steeldevil
10-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Ward is one of the leaders of the offense. He has a place here always and 5 years later, a place in the HoF.

He will not get in 1st Ballot... I will about guarantee you that. There is a logjam at the WR position. Look at some of the guys that still need to get in...

He will get in eventually though.

Carolina Steelers
10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
wow, this is the most definite answer he's given yet

it's coming....

I thought the same thing i never heard him actually give a time frame but wow he did today 2013 @ the latest. Wondering if I should start planning for Canton for 2018 never to early!!! On second thought i better wait for his retirement oh yea and the voting. One more Super Bowl we really help his chances

Carolina Steelers
10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
He will not get in 1st Ballot... I will about guarantee you that. There is a logjam at the WR position. Look at some of the guys that still need to get in...

He will get in eventually though.

I agree but 1 more ring might help his chances

Butch
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
To slow, to Short and now to old, the great thing about Hines is he is not one to rest on his laurels. He's had to prove himself all the time why should now be any different???

You can all doubt Hines all you want as for me I "BELIEVE"!!! His starting job is not in jeopardy this year and I doubt it will be next year either.

You heard it here 1st!!! Go Hines!!!

Godfather
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Hines still has it and he proved it against the thumbtacks.

Kinda sad to know he won't be around much longer.

tube517
10-13-2011, 08:35 PM
http://athenscms.com/oa/zenphoto/cache/052511-hines-ward-wins-dancing-with-stars/hines-ward-dancing-with-stars-21_182_cw182_ch182_thumb.jpg

I think that's the right time unless he feels the need to do it earlier.

steelerdude15
10-13-2011, 08:40 PM
We all knew that day was going to come.

steel striker
10-13-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't think you will ever see a wr quite like Hines. Makes the tough catches over the middle and, is a great blocker. You don't hear him cry if he does not get the ball alot and, he does it all. When he does hang up the cleats it will be a sad day for us steeler fans.

BigNastyDefense
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Hines is going to retire a Steeler, I don't think they cut him. He may end up demoted out of the starting spot eventually, but I highly doubt the Steelers cut Hines Ward.

People act like Ward's slow start to the season was him being old....but how many times was he really targeted? If you don't throw to someone much, they aren't going to rack up catches and yards.

The young money crew better lean on him as much as they can right now. He said he won't play beyond this contract, he never said he won't retire before it's over.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Big nasty is right. Ward isn't targeted that much, and if Wallace, Brown,Sanders, miller are all targeted more, no reason to pay him to be the fourth option.

I think this may be the final year in b and g for Hines

tihmtahm
10-14-2011, 02:22 AM
If we get him another ring this year, he won't be back next year. He'll do it the way Bettis did... On top.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't think Ward's age is as big a factor as people make it out to be. He hasn't relied on speed in years so a slight drop off in that department doesn't really matter all that much. Don't get me wrong, I know that he can't go on forever because at some point his body will give out or he'll get injured and won't be able to recover very quickly if at all. But when that happens, I'm sure he'll know it, and of course the odds of it happening increase the older he gets. But if he's lucky enough to stay healthy, there's no reason why he can't keep doing what he's doing until the end of his contract.