PDA

View Full Version : Fix/Save the Steelers Official Message Board Petition

7willBheaven
10-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I post this thread with permission from Hometowngal and company! Thanks for letting me post this and (eventually) sticky-ing it for me!

Anyways...as you can probably tell by the title...this thread is regarding a petition that has been created to fix/save (upgrade/etc) the Official Steelers MB. To make a long story short its a broken piece of crap...and they refuse to do anything about it so a petition was created to possibly bring this ongoing issue to the Steelers attention with hope of getting a new Official MB. You do not have to be a member of the official MB to sign it...any and all Steeler fans who agree with it can sign it...and it only takes a couple of seconds to do so. Here is the text from the petition (it goes into a little more detail)

"This petition is directed at the Pittsburgh Steelers organization regarding the state of the Steelers Official Messages Board located currently at http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/ .

The Steelers Official Message Board has been out of date for years upon years based on the current technology that is out there. Its not the easiest board to navigate, especially for those who are not familiar with it, the private messaging system is also one of the worst. There have been numerous errors, collapses and issues with the message board…from people registering but not being able to post to messages just disappearing. On top of this the Steelers.com team has for some reason either removed the message board link from the main site or just somehow forgot to put it back up.

Recently the message board was completely down for a number of days...finally over the last couple of days (during the week of 10-3-11) the board was back up...mostly. None of the buttons are showing along with a number of other errors.

This issue has caused probably the biggest reaction of any of the issues over the years...people are loosing hope and wanting to go elsewhere. However the members of the board are such a strong and proud community of die hard Steelers fans they do not want to leave their "home". There are guys who have been here forever it seems...some have over 10,000 posts, while others are just starting out. There are people from all over the world who participate in discussions on the message board.

Steelers fans are some of the most dedicated and passionate sports fans in the entire world...and they deserve better than this from their favorite team. Most other teams have awesome official message boards that are a thing of beauty. Yet one of the greatest and more historic sports teams in the world (and record 6 time Super Bowl champions) has this http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/ for a message board?

For less than a measly $200 they can purchase the software/coding/etc to have a great message board from www.vbulletin.com/ ...among other sites.

Hopefully the people within the Pittsburgh Steelers organization will take notice and finally do something about this problem and give their dedicated fans a great new place to call "home"!

Thank you!"

PETITION LINK: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/steelersmb

Thanks for your support!

43Hitman
10-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I left that board years ago because it was complete crap. If they redo that board, I'd consider posting there again.

zulater
10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I left that board years ago because it was complete crap. If they redo that board, I'd consider posting there again.

Ditto on the first part. As far as going back there, hell no, worst moderated message board I've ever visited.

suitanim
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
They still have a message board over there?

LOL

SteelerEmpire
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
I'll take a page from this countries current Senate on the Steeler's Official MB: "let them fail"............. because their not gonna change it...

fansince'76
10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Ditto on the first part. As far as going back there, hell no, worst moderated message board I've ever visited.

This. I got banned for saying "hell" during a gameday thread.

(bad word) LeBeau. :lol:

X-Terminator
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Thread has been stickied. As for the petition, HTG, zulater and I were members there way back before the "redesign"...it was much better back then even though it was pretty generic. I've read it once or twice since then and saw a lot of complaints from the members and had several people over at SF and here complain about how bad it is. It's a shame that the greatest franchise in the NFL has such a piece of crap for a message board. And don't get me started on the moderation. It wasn't very good 10 years ago...it's obviously much worse now.

zulater
10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
This. I got banned for saying "hell" during a gameday thread.

(bad word) LeBeau. :lol:

Good old "Bad word"! I almost forgot that. :chuckle:

tube517
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Must be real bad. I couldn't even find that forum until this thread. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Just tell them to redirect the traffic to the best forum on the web, Steelers Universe.

fansince'76
10-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Must be real bad. I couldn't even find that forum until this thread. :chuckle:

I miss Ray D and hillbillybiker - they were good dudes. Not even sure if they're still there, though, since I split from that place almost 6 years ago now.

stillers4me
10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Isn't that were the legend of Pimply Dan was born? :lol:

"they need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games." (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/immaculate_perception.jpg)

7willBheaven
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I miss Ray D and hillbillybiker - they were good dudes. Not even sure if they're still there, though, since I split from that place almost 6 years ago now.

Ray D is still there...dont think i've seen the other person before.

7willBheaven
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM

"they need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games." (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/immaculate_perception.jpg)

Yes thats where he was born! :-)

fansince'76
10-13-2011, 05:21 PM

Yep!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/immaculate_perception.jpg

:lol:

stillers4me
10-13-2011, 05:25 PM
http://pimplydan.freehostia.com/

fansince'76
10-13-2011, 05:31 PM
http://pimplydan.freehostia.com/

The sage who saved the 2005 Steelers season! :lol:

The one and only post the guy ever made and the Steelers ran off seven wins in a row including Super Bowl XL after he made it. :chuckle:

7willBheaven
10-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Yep!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/immaculate_perception.jpg

:lol:

This was definitely before my time there for sure. And wow hell wasnt (bad word)ed out...amazing. And a Harley place presented the board?

7willBheaven
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Come on guys...I know we can do better than this. This is obviously not a ploy to try to lure anyone here to the Steelers MB...or anything like that. This is just to try to get the attention of someone within the organization to fix this and make it right. Steelers fans tend to want the best of everything (like an OL/etc)...and its no different with things like this. Even if i wasnt a member of the Official MB i'd still be into helping. All thats needed is a couple seconds of your time and your name (the other 2 fields are not required). Together we can make a difference...thanks again! :clap2:

7willBheaven
10-17-2011, 02:21 PM
I'd like to get at least 100 signatures on this thing...we're at 62 right now...those who havent signed it COME ON...it only will take a few seconds. And those of you who have Steeler friends who are not on here...forward it to them...we can make 100...i mean this is Steeler Nation...one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) fan base in the world and we cant get 100 signatures (though we should be able to get 1000s).

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Signed. That board has been a disgrace for years and the Steelers organization can and should put up something a lot better. I mean, do they even have a link to it from Steelers.com anymore?

7willBheaven
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Signed. That board has been a disgrace for years and the Steelers organization can and should put up something a lot better. I mean, do they even have a link to it from Steelers.com anymore?

Thanks! And no...a number of months ago it disappeared from the main site...i think it was when they posted the new re-design maybe...i'm not sure.

stillers4me
10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Signed. The bungles to a better job than the the Steelers have.

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks! And no...a number of months ago it disappeared from the main site...i think it was when they posted the new re-design maybe...i'm not sure.

That doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense - obviously someone is (halfway) maintaining it, otherwise it would have probably never recovered from the recent downtime you described in your OP. Why not include a link to it on the main page? :noidea:

steelerdude15
10-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I tried signing up for that website before SF, but my account vanished. I also felt people there were too negative and bashed everything.

7willBheaven
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
That doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense - obviously someone is (halfway) maintaining it, otherwise it would have probably never recovered from the recent downtime you described in your OP. Why not include a link to it on the main page? :noidea:

I know it dont make sense. And to further prove SOMEONE is keeping an eye on it. I posted a thread on there about the petition while i was waiting for the petition to be approved...and the next afternoon that thread had been deleted somehow and i had to make a new one. Go figure.

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I tried signing up for that website before SF, but my account vanished.

At some point, it apparently became harder to join that board than the French Foreign Legion. Along with other longstanding problems (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=183799#post183799) with it. :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I know it dont make sense. And to further prove SOMEONE is keeping an eye on it. I posted a thread on there about the petition while i was waiting for the petition to be approved...and the next afternoon that thread had been deleted somehow and i had to make a new one. Go figure.

Sounds like they still frown heavily upon any external links to anything. Complaining about the technical issues of the board (which have always seemed to have been there and sound as if they have just gotten worse) was pretty much verboten too. It was down for a good week immediately after SB XL, as I recall.

7willBheaven
10-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Sounds like they still frown heavily upon any external links to anything. Complaining about the technical issues of the board (which have always seemed to have been there and sound as if they have just gotten worse) was pretty much verboten too.

With some stuff yes...with other stuff no. Guess it depends what mood the people/person or whatever are in.

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 04:03 PM
With some stuff yes...with other stuff no. Guess it depends what mood the people/person or whatever are in.

I remember someone posted 2 pictures side by side - one of Charlie Batch and one of the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz (which was absolutely hilarious - Charlie does look like the Cowardly Lion!) and they deleted the thread, yet they let other things which most definitely should have been deleted slide. :noidea:

7willBheaven
10-20-2011, 01:17 AM
I remember someone posted 2 pictures side by side - one of Charlie Batch and one of the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz (which was absolutely hilarious - Charlie does look like the Cowardly Lion!) and they deleted the thread, yet they let other things which most definitely should have been deleted slide. :noidea:

Yeah its almost like random people go on there at random times to monitor and check things out and dont follow the same rules/guidelines/etc all the time.

43Hitman
10-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Its such a shame how badly that board is maintained and moderated. Did you guys use the same handle over there that you use here? I was playpool98 on that board, I remember Zulater from over there but not anyone else.

fansince'76
10-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Its such a shame how badly that board is maintained and moderated. Did you guys use the same handle over there that you use here? I was playpool98 on that board, I remember Zulater from over there but not anyone else.

Yep, I was fansince'76 over there too.

7willBheaven
10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for those who have signed so far...we're 15 away from what my (lowest) goal is.

steelreserve
10-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I could care less. I went there before the Seahawks super bowl and got banned within three posts. For what, I'll never know. I wasn't even doing anything out of the ordinary either, just talking about defensive passing stats. Bam - gone. Whatever.

katmandu
10-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I could care less. I went there before the Seahawks super bowl and got banned within three posts. For what, I'll never know. I wasn't even doing anything out of the ordinary either, just talking about defensive passing stats. Bam - gone. Whatever.Yea, I'm Banned from that board as well. I think I said (typed) the word FART or something equally as silly and got BANNED. :Rolleyes:

Anyways, the Steelers.com Homepage has and has had a Serious Technical FLAW since it's inception.

I don't know the full Technical workings/setup of a website, but it appears to me that the whole Steelers.com Home Page is setup in a separate Windows FRAME. By FRAME I mean the Home Page does NOT FIT within the confines of a NORMAL Window.

Depending on the Screen Resolution one uses (I normally use a Lower Resolution to get Larger type/graphics), their will be a Scroll bar that appears on the bottom of the Steelers.com Home Page. The Home Page will NOT show Fully and one is forced to use the Scroll bar at the bottom to get it to appear correctly.

I have absolutely NO other issues with any of the other 1,000's of websites I visit except on Steelers.com.

Does this make sense to any of you Computer Geeks out here ?

Have you noticed this as well ??

X-Terminator
10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Yea, I'm Banned from that board as well. I think I said (typed) the word FART or something equally as silly and got BANNED. :Rolleyes:

Anyways, the Steelers.com Homepage has and has had a Serious Technical FLAW since it's inception.

I don't know the full Technical workings/setup of a website, but it appears to me that the whole Steelers.com Home Page is setup in a separate Windows FRAME. By FRAME I mean the Home Page does NOT FIT within the confines of a NORMAL Window.

Depending on the Screen Resolution one uses (I normally use a Lower Resolution to get Larger type/graphics), their will be a Scroll bar that appears on the bottom of the Steelers.com Home Page. The Home Page will NOT show Fully and one is forced to use the Scroll bar at the bottom to get it to appear correctly.

I have absolutely NO other issues with any of the other 1,000's of websites I visit except on Steelers.com.

Does this make sense to any of you Computer Geeks out here ?

Have you noticed this as well ??

Their site is optimized for one resolution only and does not readjust to your screen resolution or browser window size like most other sites do, including this one. That's why you get that scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. Evidently whoever designed the site did not take that into consideration.

7willBheaven
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Their site is optimized for one resolution only and does not readjust to your screen resolution or browser window size like most other sites do, including this one. That's why you get that scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. Evidently whoever designed the site did not take that into consideration.

You took the words right outta my mouth.

7willBheaven
10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
We have finally reached the goal of 100...however if you havent signed it please do (as you are still able to)...100 was just a minimum goal. Thanks again!

Dick723
02-17-2012, 11:45 PM
I have been a member there for over 10 years. its broke. No one is in charge. I hope they fold their tent and go to he**
And they can kiss my a@@ on the way. Got no use for them. I haven't been able to post there unless I logged in 3 times. Can not answer any post. Place is worthless

7willBheaven
02-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Wow talking about a blast from the past thread. Yeah the MB has been officially closed down and gone there for a few weeks or so now. Maybe they'll have a new one eventually, who knows.

bayz101
02-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Well, apparently my IP is banned from the site, and I've never used it before.

Steeldude
02-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Let it die. It's one of the worst MBs online

Anyone from here remember the Steelers' MB RealPittsburgh? I think it was shut down in 2001

vader29
02-18-2012, 09:19 AM
This is the link I've been using to get to the Steelers Official Message Boards: Steelers Official Message Board (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forum.php) :tt02:

43Hitman
02-18-2012, 05:50 PM
This is the link I've been using to get to the Steelers Official Message Boards: Steelers Official Message Board (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forum.php) :tt02:

FYI. That link just redirects you back to this site.

zulater
02-18-2012, 06:42 PM

I believe that's the point. :lol:

SMR
02-19-2012, 01:17 AM

You're not serious!!

Dick723
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Well, apparently my IP is banned from the site, and I've never used it before.
Maybe your IP is too close to mine so they banned you too Haha

SMR
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Maybe your IP is too close to mine so they banned you too Haha

:lol::lol:

43Hitman
02-19-2012, 09:44 AM
I believe that's the point. :lol:

Doh! :doh: Right over my head. lol

steelatl
02-19-2012, 03:36 PM
haha

I've never even been to that MB and my ip is banned. too funny

SteelerEmpire
02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
I have been a member there for over 10 years. its broke. No one is in charge. I hope they fold their tent and go to he**
And they can kiss my a@@ on the way. Got no use for them. I haven't been able to post there unless I logged in 3 times. Can not answer any post. Place is worthless

And those were the good points about it... lol. It's easy to find a good Steelers bar; hard to find a good message board.

Moose
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Nah, not interested ! I too, left that board years ago. They wouldn't let you speak your mind unless they agreed with you. Screw them. This board is the best, up-to-date info and great people and administrators !!