PDA

View Full Version : Flyers fans boo rivals; alas, its during an anti-cancer commercial

salamander
10-13-2011, 08:43 AM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/95/95416863fb26154e95268cb721e11c74/flyers_fans_boo_rivals_alas_its_during_an_anticanc er_commercial.jpg

There's no need to recall the litany of criticisms aimed at Philadelphia sports fan; cheering injured players and snowballs at Santa have long passed the point of cliché.

The fact is that Philly fans will never get a break because of that perception. For example, if a few of them boo images of rival players on the arena scoreboard, and those players happen to be in a public service announcement about the fight against cancer, well then the Philly faithful must just be classless right?

Sigh.

During Wednesday night's game against the Vancouver Canucks, the Philadelphia Flyers played a Hockey Fights Cancer commercial between periods inside Wells Fargo Center.

Featured in the video were players like Sidney Crosby(notes) of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Jonathan Toews(notes) of the Chicago Blackhawks and Ryan Miller(notes) of the Buffalo Sabres.

more: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Flyers-fans-boo-rivals-alas-it-8217-s-during-;_ylt=Ao.5GciOuh0argP8aDzQCLc5nYcB?urn=nhl-wp14710

X-Terminator
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Non-story. It's pretty obvious they were booing the players and not the message. I hate the dump and filth that is Killadelphia, but I gotta be fair.

salamander
10-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm sure Pens fans would do the same exact thing if Ovechkin was in the ad.

Godfather
10-13-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm sure Pens fans would do the same exact thing if Ovechkin was in the ad.

Especially if we saw him before we knew what it was a cancer PSA.

Chidi29
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Especially if we saw him before we knew what it was a cancer PSA.

Which according to some of the comments, is what happened.

zulater
10-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I've attended quite a few sporting events in Philly, and as a fanbase they are largely classless. They regularly cheer opposing players injuries, even if the injury looks to be very serious, and even if the player is inconsequential. Not that that should make a difference.