PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin hangs up on Jacksonville Media

shutdown
10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Guess they wouldn't shutup about the '07 game.

He asked if there was any questions about this week.

Then hung up.

Atta boy! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
His was a very heartbreaking loss in 2007 against the Jaguars.

The Steelers had a lot of injuries in this game, but they had a lot of heart... It was 28-10 jaguars, but the Steelers have had an almost unbelievable comeback....The Steelers led 29-28 and had a play to win the game, but unfortunately Garrard has incredible play on a 4th and 2 and the Jaguars have won this game.

The Steelers have had 4 losses in a row against the Jaguars between 2005 to 2007, but now the Jaguars are not a good team right now!

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 02:01 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/408421355/twitterProfilePhoto_normal.jpgSteelersdepot (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/Steelersdepot)Steelers Depot

@EdBouchette (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/EdBouchette) reports Tomlin conference call with Jags beaters lasted about 4 minutes. lol #steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23steelers)

From the twitter thread....

taniaganguli (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/taniaganguli)Tania Ganguli

Wow, Tomlin hung up on us because he didn't like getting a question about the 2007 playoff game. Wasn't Vito. #Jaguars (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Jaguars)#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers)

"I understand that might have been a big game in Jacksonville, but that’s old news" Tomlin said. #Jaguars (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Jaguars)#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers)

"Anybody got questions relative to this week?" Tomlin said, short pause and as the next question started, said thanks & hung up.

it is not normal. RT @rock_star_chef (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/rock_star_chef): @taniaganguli (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/taniaganguli) is that first time something like that has happened or is it a norm

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't bring up the 2008 playoff loss to Jacksonville to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Jacksonville reporters learned that the hard way when Tomlin abruptly ended Wednesday's conference call by hanging up, according to Tania Ganguli (http://twitter.com/#!/taniaganguli) of the Florida Times-Union.

On the eighth question of the conference call, Tomlin was asked about his memories from that playoff game. This is the Steelers' first meeting with the Jaguars since losing to them, 31-29, in January 2008. "I remember David Garrard of course on the draw on fourth down," Tomlin said. "That’s one of those plays that you’ll never forget. It was a big play.”

Someone asked if he sent a tape of that play to the league office because there was questionable holding that wasn't called. “Guys, come on man," Tomlin said. "I’m not going to cry over four-year-old spilt milk. Anybody got any legitimate questions?"

A reporter said it was a big game from Jacksonville's standpoint. "Anybody got questions relative to this week?" Tomlin said. According to the Florida Times-Union account of the conference call, Tomlin then took a short pause, and as the next question was starting to get asked, he said thanks and hung up.

My suggestion is no one should bring up that Super Bowl loss to the Packers anytime soon, too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/33264/tomlin-hangs-up-on-jacksonville-reporters

seems to me he answered a question about it and they kept hammering him when he said to move on..... :noidea:

And why was it such a big game from Jacksonville's standpoint?? Didn't they lose the next one?

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Someone asked if he sent a tape of that play to the league office because there was questionable holding that wasn't called.

Stupid question

HollywoodSteel
10-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I think I might have to side with the Jacksonville reporters on this one. From their perspective, talking about that playoff game is their only angle to make a story this week. So they ask him about it. Big deal. If it had been Belichick hanging up on the Pittsburgh media for whatever reason he would been taking a lot of grief from this board, and rightly so. It's not like Tomlin would give them anything of substance anyway, "they came into a hostile environment and even though we attempted to defend every blade of grass..."

On the other hand, he did them a favor by hanging up on them. Now they actually have a story that's semi-interesting.

steeldevil
10-12-2011, 02:21 PM
"This is the Steelers' first meeting with the Jaguars since losing to them, 31-29, in January 2008."

No its not, we played them in the 08 regular season and won 26-21...

COME ON ESPN...

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
"This is the Steelers' first meeting with the Jaguars since losing to them, 31-29, in January 2008."

No its not, we played them in the 08 regular season and won 26-21...

COME ON ESPN...

It was @ Jacksonville.

GodfatherofSoul
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
There was a hell of a lot of holding on that 4th and 2 play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MV5gCkQAY

steeldevil
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
It was @ Jacksonville.

Yep, the quote stillers4me put up and the quote on ESPN were different for some reason.

ALLD
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Hopefully it lit a fire under Tomlin, who will light an atomic bomb under the players.

Chidi29
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Hopefully it lit a fire under Tomlin, who will light an atomic bomb under the players.

Tomlin never needs a fire lit under him.

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Good, Fck the Jaguars!

fansince'76
10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

X-Terminator
10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Good on ya, Mike. Fuck 'em. I'd have hung up on them too.

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM
"No more soup for you!" Next! Mike Tomlin the interview Nazi. For those who don't watch Sienfeld, ask someone that does.

fansince'76
10-12-2011, 04:26 PM
My only question is how much Der Kommissar is gonna fine Tomlin for this. You know it's coming.

HometownGal
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!! :lol: :applaudit:

Way to kick 'em in the cahoonans Coach T. :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
that was a great learning experience for Tomlin. Remember the failed two point conversion? Regardless, that was one epic game.

fansince'76
10-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Another take....

Now, coaches have hung up before when they've gotten annoyed with a line of questioning, but to do so after a single question? That's kind of a jerk move by Tomlin. If it was old news to the Steelers, why did the question irritate him to the point of hanging up on the media?

You mad bro?

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/10/12/2485780/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-hangs-up-on-jacksonville-media

:rolleyes:

Sure, he's mad, bro. To the tune of two Super Bowl appearances and one win since that game. What exactly have the Jaguars done since getting dickstomped the following week in Foxboro? Seems to me about jack shit. But keep on clinging to the "glory" of winning that wildcard game. :coffee:

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Must really suck to measure your team's success by counting your victories over the Steelers. Keep that up fellas, while we continue to add to our SB total.

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Appartently, it was not one "single question".....Here is the actual transcript:

Talk about how your team has had to change things up a little bit in trying different things to win this year

“First of all, this is still a very early portion of the season and we’re trying to find ourselves like everyone else, and you’d better win games along the way. That’s simply our process. We don’t go into any season holding on to any personality traits. We build it from ground zero every year with the understanding that we’re trying to be a good football team. We want to play to our strengths and try to minimize our weaknesses. So we’re a work in progress, no doubt, and we’ll just continue to walk the journey. And like I said earlier, we’d better to find ways to win along the way.”

On Ben Roethlisberger’s play so far this season

“Ben is very consistent. He’s a competitor. He realized, of course, the gravity of last week’s game. It’s always important that you bounce back from the type of performance that we had in Houston. He’s always kind of delivered those kinds of timely performances for us.”

On your run defense against Maurice Jones-Drew

“Jones-Drew, of course, is a spectacular player. We’re going to have our hands full there trying to slow him down. We respect him for what he’s capable of and we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

What’s been the problem with the run defense?

“We’ve given up some big runs.” (this makes me :lol:)

Why?

“A myriad of reasons. There are usually reasons why people give up runs. People are not where they’re supposed to be or they’re getting physically whipped and/or both, and I think such has been the case with us. We don’t run away from that. We’re working hard on a daily basis trying to right those things.”

Is the age of your defense a concern for you?

“No.”

Why not?

“It just isn’t. We’re very comfortable where we are from a personnel standpoint not only with our starters but with our backups. We believe we’ve got good quality depth. I think they’ll be given plenty of opportunities to prove that.”

This is Jacksonville’s first game up in Pittsburgh since the 2008 playoff game. Any memories of that playoff game?

“Not really. I remember David Garrard of course on the draw on fourth down. That’s one of those plays that you’ll never forget. It was a big play.”

Did you send tape of that play to league office?

“No.”

Why not?

“Why would I?”

Wasn’t there a questionable non-call holding on that play?

“Guys, come on man. I’m not going to cry over four-year-old spilt milk. Anybody got any legitimate questions?”

It was a big game from Jacksonville’s standpoint

“Guys, that was four years ago. I understand that might have been a big game in Jacksonville four years ago but that’s old news. Many of those guys are no longer here and definitely many of the guys that were in Jacksonville are no longer there. Anybody got any questions relative to this week?”

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/12/tomlin-vs-jacksonvile-media/#.TpYETNzZj_c.twitter

X-Terminator
10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
That interview was perfectly fine right up until the obvious bait 'n hook question. Again, good on ya, Mike, for not taking the bait.

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Another take....

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/10/12/2485780/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-hangs-up-on-jacksonville-media

:rolleyes:

Sure, he's mad, bro. To the tune of two Super Bowl appearances and one win since that game. What exactly have the Jaguars done since getting dickstomped the following week in Foxboro? Seems to me about jack shit. But keep on clinging to the "glory" of winning that wildcard game. :coffee:

One playoffs win since 2000 for the Jags

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Did you send tape of that play to league office?

“No.”

Why not?

“Why would I?”

Wasn’t there a questionable non-call holding on that play?

“Guys, come on man. I’m not going to cry over four-year-old spilt milk. Anybody got any legitimate questions?”

Ladies and gentlemen, the difference between a classy coach and John Harbaugh!

fansince'76
10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the difference between a classy coach and John Harbaugh!

Not to mention that lard bucket Holmgren.

Edman
10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
The Faguar media seemed to be trolling Tomlin over his first big failure. They wanted to ask Tomlin about that playoff game, but what about the 2008 game where Pittsburgh went down to Jacksonville and beat them?

Since that playoff game...

Steelers: 36-17 Record. Two Division Titles. Two Super Bowl Appearances. One Super Bowl Victory.

Jaguars: 21-32 Record. Failed to make the playoffs once. No Division Titles. Two losing seasons.

Yeah, Jacksonville. We so mad.

GodfatherofSoul
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for posting that part of the transcripts. Total bait trap! Jags fans sound like the loser in the song Glory Days. "Remember, when I was awesome that one time years ago? Remember?!?!? Let's talk about it some more!"

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
And as I recall, we were a troupe of walking wounded for that game.

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for posting that part of the transcripts. Total bait trap! Jags fans sound like the loser in the song Glory Days. "Remember, when I was awesome that one time years ago? Remember?!?!? Let's talk about it some more!"

Next week, the Steelers face the Cardinals and he probably the cards fan they will say that the TD of Santonio Holmes was not good!

The cards are 6-15 since Warner left.

fansince'76
10-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Next week, the Steelers face the Cardinals and he probably the cards fan they will say that the TD of Santonio Holmes was not good!

And that Harrison should have been tossed for "punching" Aaron Francisco (all the while conveniently neglecting to mention Francisco's attempt to take him out at the knees which precipitated it), and that Woodley blocked Hightower in the back (never mind that Hightower fell SIDEWAYS), and that Warner's obvious fumble was really an incomplete pass, and that the fix was in because the booth didn't spend 20 minutes reviewing it since it WAS so obvious, etc., etc.

Yet nary a word will be mentioned in regards to Adrian Wilson's taking a swing at Hines, or the 15 or so holding penalties Gandy committed against Harrison that weren't called besides the 3 he actually got nailed for, or the obvious trap by Fitzgerald of his first TD "catch" in that game, etc., etc. :coffee:

Well, the 5 or 10 Cards "fans" that haven't long since jumped back off that bandwagon, anyway.

Chidi29
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
That interview was perfectly fine right up until the obvious bait 'n hook question. Again, good on ya, Mike, for not taking the bait.

Exactly. Tomlin answered all the other questions respectfully. He tried to get them to drop the playoff question and they wouldn't do it. He has every right to leave the conversation because it became clear they weren't trying to talk about the upcoming game, the only reason why he was on the phone with them in the first place.

tube517
10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Jaguars can't even fill their own stadium. Now, the Jacksonville press is just trying to get some "style points". F 'em.

Tomlin don't owe them jack shit. That line of questioning was stupid anyways. I would've hung up too. Jackholes.

Butch
10-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Enjoy your team while you still have 'em Jacksonville they aren't going to be around much longer anyways.

Hey Mike next time ask the reporters how many jagwad fans will be selling their tickets to Steeler fans??? I know that's not a fair question their aren't any real jagwads fans. LOL

SteelGhost
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Way to go Coach T. :thumbsup:

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Fuck 'em. They deserved it.

steel striker
10-12-2011, 10:59 PM
The hell with them and, i hope we crush them by 28 points.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
That game the Jags got the tough yards and the Steelers didnt. Khalif Barnes held a Steelers LB on the Garrard run and it wasnt called. Ty Carter was slow to react and missed the tackle.

But, that was so long ago that none of the 3 guys I mentioned are on those teams now. Steelers have been to 2 super bowls since and working on trying to get back. I dont blame him for not looking back on that game, even though he might have over reacted by hanging up.

I smell a beatdown this week if this story gets played up any more.

Jay
10-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Hell he asked if there were any questions relevent to this year and got nothing but crickets, see ya:wave:

The Duke
10-13-2011, 05:50 AM
. I’m not going to cry over four-year-old spilt milk

simple as that

I love tomlin

SteelerEmpire
10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
I can already feel that their gonna try to bring it and make a name for themselves by trying to beat the Steelers... not this Sunday up in Heinz Field !

BigNastyDefense
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Fucking jagoffs. And now people are saying Tomlin's a bitch for hanging up, which I find funny because it was a bitch line of questions.

If Jacksonville media wanna stand in a room and circle jerk while talking about the last time the football team they cover was actually good, that's fine. But don't expect Mike Tomlin to stick around to listen to it.

The only reason Tomlin was on the phone with those jerks was to discuss this week's game. He gave them a chance to get back on track and nobody had a question, so he hung up the phone because the conversation was obviously over.

And I also love how the Jagoff fans are spinning this like he hung up after one question. They so badly want to make Tomlin (and then by proxy, the Steelers) look like whiny bitches. But once someone reads the full transcript, they see that isn't the case.