PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts on running game

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 07:29 AM
There was something close to dancing in the streets Sunday over the Steelers victory, and it was not just the win that caused the celebrating. It was how it was accomplished.

The running game, it was believed, prevailed and, better still, it prevailed without Rashard Mendenhall.

Not so fast, my friends.

Ed Bouchette presented a convincing case (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers) on PG+ that suggested the running game was nothing special against Tennessee and once again it was the arm of Ben Roethlisberger that was the difference for the Steelers.............

read more @ http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30388-second-thoughs-on-running-game

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2011, 07:37 AM
The article is correct. If Mendenhall ran for 49 yards on 15 carries, he would not be celebrated like Redman has been.

Edman
10-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes, because Mendenhall's inability to break tackles and dancing this year has been so much more effective than Redman's running against Tennesee.

There were several instances in the Titans game where Mendenhall would've went down like a flimsy suit. I expected that from Willie Parker, but not Mendenhall.

I won't deny Mendenhall certainly is a talented may even be a Top 10 back, but he hasn't been playing like it this year. We know the run blocking has been subpar, but Mendenhall isn't helping with his dancing. Your run blocking sucks. Take what you can get because you're not getting much room. Redman's 15 for 49 performance is celebrated because of his tremendous heart and effort pushing piles and keeping his legs moving. The run game did it's job and it kept the Titans Defense honest. He took his opportunity and seized it before the leg cramps got him. Funny how Bob forgets that Redman was taken out of game because of the leg cramps. He didn't mention that, did he?

salamander
10-12-2011, 08:47 AM
The team ran for 170+ yards in the game. That's all that matters, imo.

43Hitman
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, because Mendenhall's inability to break tackles and dancing this year has been so much more effective than Redman's running against Tennesee.

There were several instances in the Titans game where Mendenhall would've went down like a flimsy suit. I expected that from Willie Parker, but not Mendenhall.

I won't deny Mendenhall certainly is a talented may even be a Top 10 back, but he hasn't been playing like it this year. We know the run blocking has been subpar, but Mendenhall isn't helping with his dancing. Your run blocking sucks. Take what you can get because you're not getting much room. Redman's 15 for 49 performance is celebrated because of his tremendous heart and effort pushing piles and keeping his legs moving. The run game did it's job and it kept the Titans Defense honest. He took his opportunity and seized it before the leg cramps got him. Funny how Bob forgets that Redman was taken out of game because of the leg cramps. He didn't mention that, did he?

This is the crux of the matter with me as well, at least Redman was trying to push piles and getting what he could. I really like Mendy a lot, but this year he has not been himself, so maybe by Redman pushing him a bit it will light a fire under his ass. That would be a win-win for the team.

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 09:01 AM
The team ran for 170+ yards in the game. That's all that matters, imo.

Thank you to a run 76 yards for Dwyer.

I'm sure the Titans did not know Dwyer before the run of 76 yards!

43Hitman
10-12-2011, 09:06 AM

They don't ask how, they just ask how many.

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:11 AM
The article is correct. If Mendenhall ran for 49 yards on 15 carries, he would not be celebrated like Redman has been.

How many 2nd and 12's did Redman leave us with?

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
: :

Well stated!:thumbsup:

salamander
10-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Doesn't matter how we get the yards, just that we get them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
How many 2nd and 12's did Redman leave us with?

None. Redman had 4 runs of 1 yard or less and 15 carries for 49 Yards vs the Titans on Sunday. 3.2 ypc

Mendenhall vs. the Ravens had 3 runs of 1 yard or less and 12 carries for 45 yards. 3.7 ypc

Mendenhall vs the Texans had 4 runs of 1 yard or less and 9 carries for 25 yards before his injury. 2.8 ypc

The Colts game was a poor rushing game, but we all know the story that the coaches for some reason changed the game plan late in the week and played into the hands of the Colts slanting defense, rather than try to power over the lighter Colts D line. My point is that Redman didnt have that great of a game as the fan base wants to believe he did. In fact it was a poorer effort than Mendenhall had vs the Ravens, yet there was no praise in that game for Mendenhall because of the team loss to the Ravens.

The old cliche is true, that the most popular guy in town is the backup of a struggling team. Issac Redman is to Rashard Mendenhall, what Tim Tebow is to Kyle Orton and the author of the article cited is just pointing that out.

steelreserve
10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
The difference in this game wasn't the running or Ben's arm, it was the blocking. That's why the running backs had at least moderate success (and give them credit for taking advantage there). It was also the difference between Ben having 5 TD passes, or 1 TD, 1 INT and two sack-fumbles. This is just what the offense looks like when it's not broken plays half the time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
The difference in this game wasn't the running or Ben's arm, it was the blocking. That's why the running backs had at least moderate success (and give them credit for taking advantage there). It was also the difference between Ben having 5 TD passes, or 1 TD, 1 INT and two sack-fumbles. This is just what the offense looks like when it's not broken plays half the time.

I agree. While the running game wasnt that impressive, the committment to running the ball and letting the O line try to establish the run game, gave the threat of a run game. On the first TD to Hines, that play action fake doesnt work if the Titans did not feel the Steelers were a threat to run.

suitanim
10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
To be fair, we really don't know what Mendy would have done. Yes, Redman is a more straight-ahead runner, but there have also been plenty of times where Mendy can't find a hole, and reverses his field and makes things happen. Redman is more of a workhorse, but Mendenhall has more flash-n-dash. Both work sometimes, and sometimes neither work.

zulater
10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
None. Redman had 4 runs of 1 yard or less and 15 carries for 49 Yards vs the Titans on Sunday. 3.2 ypc

Mendenhall vs. the Ravens had 3 runs of 1 yard or less and 12 carries for 45 yards. 3.7 ypc

Mendenhall vs the Texans had 4 runs of 1 yard or less and 9 carries for 25 yards before his injury. 2.8 ypc

The Colts game was a poor rushing game, but we all know the story that the coaches for some reason changed the game plan late in the week and played into the hands of the Colts slanting defense, rather than try to power over the lighter Colts D line. My point is that Redman didnt have that great of a game as the fan base wants to believe he did. In fact it was a poorer effort than Mendenhall had vs the Ravens, yet there was no praise in that game for Mendenhall because of the team loss to the Ravens.

The old cliche is true, that the most popular guy in town is the backup of a struggling team. Issac Redman is to Rashard Mendenhall, what Tim Tebow is to Kyle Orton and the author of the article cited is just pointing that out.

Regardless, what I saw from Redman that I wasn't seeing from Mendy, was yards after initial contact. And reading between the lines on some of Tomlin's quotes I get the sense that he hasn't been overly impressed with Mendenhall's effort to date either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
To be fair, we really don't know what Mendy would have done. Yes, Redman is a more straight-ahead runner, but there have also been plenty of times where Mendy can't find a hole, and reverses his field and makes things happen. Redman is more of a workhorse, but Mendenhall has more flash-n-dash. Both work sometimes, and sometimes neither work.

How dare you bring objectivity and rational thought into this thread.:old:

This thread is all about anointing the next great Steeler RB and his 3.2 YPC average, while assembling a posse to run the old guy out the burgh. Where did I put my pitchfork. :noidea:

suitanim
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
My point is, both guys have a different way of handling being met .004 seconds after the snap of the ball 3 yards deep in the backfield. Mendy tries to juke his way out, and Redman just drags 3-4 people with him.

It looks like, with a lackluster OLine, both are going to average about 3-3.5 yards a carry, which ain't good enough.

zulater
10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Gonzo, I notice you left out the Colts game. Against the Colts Mendy had 2 carries that went for no gain, and 6 more that resulted in a loss of yards. -9 yards on 8 carries, pretty impressive. Wonder why Ben was getting his ass kicked all game by Freeney and Mathis? And since you like to dismiss a runners longest run, take out his 15 yarder and that's 22 yards on 17 carries.

zulater
10-12-2011, 01:16 PM

This thread is all about anointing the next great Steeler RB and his 3.2 YPC average, while assembling a posse to run the old guy out the burgh. Where did I put my pitchfork. :noidea:

Who's trying to run Mendy out of Pittsburgh? He needs to eliminate all the negative plays. 2nd and 8 beats the hell out of 2nd and 11. And I've got a feeling Tomlin is seeing some of this as well.

Edman
10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
The only argument I seeing here is Bob looking at the statistics, and not the actual game. I watched the game, and it's night and day the difference between Redman and Mendenhall so far. Even in Houston there was a noticable difference.

Okay, start Mendenhall behind this very same O-Line next Sunday against the Jaguars and see how effective he is. After all, to some on here Redman certainly didn't do **** for the run game last Sunday and was totally chopped liver. /sarcasm

HollywoodSteel
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't want to run Mendyout of town either. He has some talent and occasionally does make something out of nothing by bouncing it outside. My problem with him is that I don't think he has the vision to be the type of runner that he really wants to be, so I'd much rather he more often than not use his power and will to pound straight ahead for every inch the way Redman does.

I think we're all hoping that Redman's tenacity (more than his actual rushing numbers) lights some kind of fire under Mendy, but I really don't think that's going to happen. At the end of the day, Mendy probably doesn't see himself as lacking any kind of fire, he's just looking for holes that he'll never find.

zulater
10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
OK here's another way of putting it. 12 of Mendenhall's last 27 rushing attempts have gone for 0 yards or less. Hard to go play action off that? :doh:

43Hitman
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Who said that? :noidea:

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Mendy needed to be reminded that he is replaceable. Play hungry or go home. Pure and simple.

HometownGal
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Excellent post, Ed, and spot on. :thumbsup: Redman doesn't stop moving those legs and at times last week, it took several Titans defenders to bring him down, unlike Mendy who this season has been stutter stepping at the line.

fansince'76
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Mendenhall working on his "moves":

http://yourtown.triblive.com/inc/images/photos/fullsize_8ff0676182a018a56f367c02360f94a5.jpg

:chuckle:

SteelGhost
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Mendy needed to be reminded that he is replaceable. Play hungry or go home. Pure and simple.

^THIS^

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Gonzo, I notice you left out the Colts game. Against the Colts Mendy had 2 carries that went for no gain, and 6 more that resulted in a loss of yards. -9 yards on 8 carries, pretty impressive. Wonder why Ben was getting his ass kicked all game by Freeney and Mathis? And since you like to dismiss a runners longest run, take out his 15 yarder and that's 22 yards on 17 carries.

Yes, and I mentioned the Colts game was a complete disaster which most attributed to the change in gameplan from what was practiced most of the week.

You of all people should know, after you have rewatched the game twice you should have seen the Steelers O line being stalled at the line of scrimmage and lateral running plays instead of the straight ahead running game with a lead blocker or pulling guard being incorporated.

We can all watch as the season unfolds and if Dwyer and Redman take over the backfield duties as many here are saying they will and should, I will put them on my signature. I dont think it happens unless Mendenhall is injured.

zulater
10-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Yes, and I mentioned the Colts game was a complete disaster which most attributed to the change in gameplan from what was practiced most of the week.

You of all people should know, after you have rewatched the game twice you should have seen the Steelers O line being stalled at the line of scrimmage and lateral running plays instead of the straight ahead running game with a lead blocker or pulling guard being incorporated.

We can all watch as the season unfolds and if Dwyer and Redman take over the backfield duties as many here are saying they will and should, I will put them on my signature. I dont think it happens unless Mendenhall is injured.

Personally I just want to see Mendenhall run a little bit smarter and more motivated. I think the job is still his to lose. The only thing that's changed is that he can indeed lose it if he doesn't cut out the negative yardage plays.

tube517
10-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Mendenhall working on his "moves":

http://yourtown.triblive.com/inc/images/photos/fullsize_8ff0676182a018a56f367c02360f94a5.jpg

:chuckle:

No wonder he's been twinkle toes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Personally I just want to see Mendenhall run a little bit smarter and more motivated. I think the job is still his to lose. The only thing that's changed is that he can indeed lose it if he doesn't cut out the negative yardage plays.

When Mendenhall has a lead blocker like Miller or Johnson in the backfield, he reads their block and tries to find a crease where they have blocked.

When he is the lone back in the backfield he has to read where the hole has been created by the O line. When there is no hole, he tries to be patient for one to open up and sometimes gets caught for a loss. I guess that you are advocating that if he has no hole to hit, he just drive his helmet into the back of an O lineman. That is one way to motivate them to block I guess.